Where to Buy: 993 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:27 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I think the difference between 30 and 40k is pretty immaterial. For e.g., 30K means a 97 C2S was driven 2200 miles per year as opposed to 2800 for a 40K mile car. I don't see that being a significant difference. Neither example will warrant a "collector's premium"...Maybe in 5+ years, or more.

The cars that sell for north of $60K all seem to have less than 15k miles, or even less (and those with less than 10K miles seem to fetch super-premium prices (High $60's and beyond).
Rome,
Agree with you. I sold my 98C2S just south of 60k with 23k on the clock.It did have almost every option and was Perfect, but I had another car I just bought so I was a bit pinched. A dealer would have been able to get a few more bucks for it I'm sure. It worked out I'm Happy.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arguing about 30k vs 40k as 'low mileage on a 12-15 year old car? Really?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

993s are SERIOUS BUSINESS!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:48 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C2S
I sold my 98C2S just south of 60k with 23k on the clock.It did have almost every option and was Perfect, but I had another car I just bought so I was a bit pinched. A dealer would have been able to get a few more bucks for it I'm sure.
That's a great price; must have been a special car. Just curious...when did you sell the C2S? Pricing since September, 2008 has dropped at least 20%.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car hasn't lost 20% in value since I bought it in 2001...not according to a recent appraisal I had for the insurance company nor according to values I see here.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
My car hasn't lost 20% in value since I bought it in 2001...not according to a recent appraisal I had for the insurance company nor according to values I see here.
You must have bought very well. I bought a stock, well cared for '98 C2S in 2002 at a competitive price. It had 25K on the clock then and has 83K now. The top end +++ was done earlier this year. I'd be surprised to recover 65-70% of my purchase price if selling now. I'm not complaining: that's strong value retention. More important, though, is that I have been driving and enjoying the car for eight years and that's what it's all about for me.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:36 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to see that we are back to regularly scheduled programming.

To be completely honest (but not to open up another can of worms), I had heard mixed feedback about experiences with Sloan. I value and trust very much the opinions on here. Maybe I should give that option another try. I do definitely like the silver/black car he has, and its got the LSD. Scott, thanks for the suggestions. Not interested in the blue or grey interior cars, but the silver/black would be perfect.

I didnt know anything about Maynard as a locator. I would gladly pay a reasonable fee if there is something out there I cant find. So will check into that too. Thanks again
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maynard is awesome - he found my car.

Most of Sloan's car were on consignment every time I heard...he only posts pics for them. And think about using LSD as a buying criteria. The pads will be worn out after 20K miles and there are far better units available aftermarket.

My low mileage has a lot to do with preservation of value.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll let you know once I get my car from Sloan - should be here any day now. I found him easy to deal with but still need to make sure it's a good car. Anyone know anything about Porsche of Wallingford, and whether or not they are reputable? (They did the ppi.)
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Most of Sloan's car were on consignment every time I heard...he only posts pics for them.
I have no affiliation with Richard Sloan although I've been to his place of business twice and both times the vast majority of cars he displayed on the website were at his fantastic facility. I have also spoken to him on a number of occasions. My impression is that he is very honest about the cars he represents. He is extremely knowledgeable and is more than willing to share that knowledge without anything in "return." He has given me contact information for several parts manufacturers and has even suggested I mention his name, which as a result I received a lower price than I would have otherwise. Yes, his prices are high (which is a good thing for members of this forum) and yes it appears several of "his cars" are in fact consignment; but so what. It is my understanding he stands behind his word and there are few people in this world who are more committed to promoting the Porsche marque than him. Again, just my opinion as I have never bought or sold a car from him.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I had heard mixed feedback about experiences with Sloan. I do definitely like the silver/black car he has, and its got the LSD. Not interested in the blue or grey interior cars, but the silver/black would be perfect.
This is basically the exact car you are looking for. Go buy it. I understand that it is as important to buy into the seller as much as the car, but IMHO I know of no factual/documented post sell issues with Sloan.

I get the impression you enjoy the hunt more than the kill which is fine I guess as long as it does not waste peoples time including the 5 minutes I allowed myself to get drawn into this train wreck of a post.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might help your efforts too:

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...mit=++++go++++

Jaxed searches CL and Ebay plus will sometimes show expired auctions so you can track recent trades. You might want to tinker with the filter (upper right) in case some C2S are mis-listed.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:46 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I have no affiliation with Richard Sloan although I've been to his place of business twice and both times the vast majority of cars he displayed on the website were at his fantastic facility. I have also spoken to him on a number of occasions. My impression is that he is very honest about the cars he represents. He is extremely knowledgeable and is more than willing to share that knowledge without anything in "return." He has given me contact information for several parts manufacturers and has even suggested I mention his name, which as a result I received a lower price than I would have otherwise. Yes, his prices are high (which is a good thing for members of this forum) and yes it appears several of "his cars" are in fact consignment; but so what. It is my understanding he stands behind his word and there are few people in this world who are more committed to promoting the Porsche marque than him. Again, just my opinion as I have never bought or sold a car from him.
I carefully worded my post to only contain a fact about his cars, not any conclusions I drew. I thought it might be relevant to someone looking. I have also spoken with him about a car I was going to buy and my PERSONAL OPINIONS differed from yours...so I did not include them. I did buy a car through Dave Maynard and found him to be very straightforward and honest and I have since recommended him many times...and I have never heard a single bad thing about him in over 10 years.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
This is basically the exact car you are looking for. Go buy it. I understand that it is as important to buy into the seller as much as the car, but IMHO I know of no factual/documented post sell issues with Sloan.

I get the impression you enjoy the hunt more than the kill which is fine I guess as long as it does not waste peoples time including the 5 minutes I allowed myself to get drawn into this train wreck of a post.
Mark, I enjoy the drive, the kill, the hunt... in that order. I started this thread just asking for any potential sellers or help. I admit I am picky. This will end with a purchase, of that there is no doubt. But I am not going to buy something that doesnt meet all (or most) of my buying criteria. If not interested in helping, no problem, but no one is making you read!

The car could be right if it checks out. I wonder if the yellow calipers are original to the car, etc. Need to do research...
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I bought my C4S from Richard Sloan last year, and have been to his facility. It was a good experience!

Quick Reply: Where to Buy: 993 C2S