Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Prospective 993 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

I'm hardly putting her. She's putting herself.

Seeing how this 993 took off even on a fairly straight course, I doubt power is an issue, although I know what you mean. I once took a spin in a pre 80 930. It's been years and I still don't know what to make of that car. I suppose the later ones are controllable by humans.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Things like this happen with women, in my experience ... one time, when I was married to my ex, it was like a ray from space came down and she turned into this huge Eric Clapton fan, started a group on Yahoo to discuss every aspect of his career and guitar playing and posted constantly to it, made friends with other fans all around the world, it was really weird. What made it even weirder was that a few months before, I had fifth row tickets to see him, and she had zero interest in going, and I went with a buddy instead.

So ... get the car, and enjoy!
Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Maybe it is a female characteristic. It really has me baffled, but oddly enough I remain utterly neutral on the purchase. On one hand it'll be annoying to have to contend with another vehicle. On the other, I'd like to ride around in the car. Overall, I think it wonderful if someone can own a Fine Thing. My wife has never in her life had a Fine Thing. I think the membership here knows what I mean.

For some it can be a Rolex Presidente. For others an 'R' model Ducati. Others maybe a great wine collection. Both good and bad comes from ownership of Fine Things. You get pride of ownership but you also become anywhere from involved to slightly owned to enslaved.

After enormous effort, my wife has become well paid enough to own Fine Things and this is her choice. I'm enormously relieved it isn't a diamond studded something. At least I can understand this as a Fine Thing.

If she gets it, I'm curious to see how involved she'll get. She's already talking about conferring with Hans and getting hands on for the PPI.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:52 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

The PPI showed body damage and some repaint. While the body damage isn't structural, it is damage repair where the car was advertised as no damage history. This damage didn't make CarFax.

I don't believe the owner was deceitful here. I believe a former owner did the damage / repair, but still, the car isn't damage history free. In my way of thinking, a car can be restored 1,000 times but it can be original only once. This isn't original and can't be made so. Since the car was presented as pristine and 100% original / damage free, I feel it worth less now that its true history has become apparent. It is worth less now because we can't sell it as either original or damage free when it comes our turn to sell.

We reduced our offer from his asking due to the damage repair. At this point the owner seems stuck on his full asking which was based on a pristine car. So unless one of us moves, this deal seems to off.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:44 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Things like this happen with women, in my experience ... one time, when I was married to my ex, it was like a ray from space came down and she turned into this huge Eric Clapton fan, started a group on Yahoo to discuss every aspect of his career and guitar playing and posted constantly to it, made friends with other fans all around the world, it was really weird. What made it even weirder was that a few months before, I had fifth row tickets to see him, and she had zero interest in going, and I went with a buddy instead.

So ... get the car, and enjoy!
Eric Clapton.. I still have a couple of his jackets from his world tour - early 80's. I knew people who worked with his managers.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:26 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Seller recognized that the car isn't 100% original so came down a bit in price. We came up a bit and we now have a deal.

My wife is now at the bank closing the deal.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:18 PM
damondewey
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default details

Well, the suspense is killing me. What price did you settle on?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:50 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by damondewey
Well, the suspense is killing me. What price did you settle on?
$30k even. Looking at it, I wonder if there was a bit of repait (about the size of the palm of my hand at the door bottom). I have a good eye and can't see it, but the PPI did say it.

Quick Reply: Prospective 993 Purchase