Sponsored by:

Prospective 993 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 AM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Is a new top at 80k common? What's an SAI port?
the Achilles heel
Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by SPD YLO
the Achilles heel
What is its function? I get from your post that it's a problem but not what it does.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Secondary Air Injector....and passage through which air travels for start-up emissions purposes. Often clogs with carbon throwing the emissions light. Some cars have 150K miles with no issues - others have it at 50K. Some fix it by having the ports cleaned by hand...others redo the top end of the motor and upgrade some weaker parts at that time. General consensus is that short drives and low RPM driving may contribute to this.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Secondary Air Injector....and passage through which air travels for start-up emissions purposes. Often clogs with carbon throwing the emissions light. Some cars have 150K miles with no issues - others have it at 50K. Some fix it by having the ports cleaned by hand...others redo the top end of the motor and upgrade some weaker parts at that time. General consensus is that short drives and low RPM driving may contribute to this.
Thanks. Air injection - hmm. I didn't think that still existed in this late of a car. PPI guy said he thought the 96 better from his POV due to OBD II. Well, it won't damage the deal, but it always turns out there is one or two more things to learn.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

'95 = OBD1, therefore, clogged SAI ports would not affect passing '96 up emissions. Does the car have an IMMOBILIZER alarm or just the key-actuated alarm when you lock the car? The early (and later)IMMOBILIZER systems can give you FITS! Search for a recent thread on the subject. Took the owner $$$$ to rectify.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:52 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
'95 = OBD1, therefore, clogged SAI ports would not affect passing '96 up emissions. Does the car have an IMMOBILIZER alarm or just the key-actuated alarm when you lock the car? The early (and later)IMMOBILIZER systems can give you FITS! Search for a recent thread on the subject. Took the owner $$$$ to rectify.
Well, if it were OBD II, the condition of the cylinders would be easy to detect w/o a leakdown, I'd suppose. That is, if it is clean on the OBD II, I'd not ask for a leakdown.

I haven't a clue about the alarm, but have read the agonies here. I have it down on my checklist. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I believe secondary air injection only functions briefly during the engine startup cycle. If clogged, it can produce a check engine light. That happened in my car about 75k miles. In my state that = failed emissions test. AFAIK, this has zero impact on performance and driveability but does produce a constant red warning light. If you're reasonably handy and don't mind a bit of a mess, the SAI ports can usually be cleaned sufficiently by hand. There are several DIY articles here on the topic.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimPA
I believe secondary air injection only functions briefly during the engine startup cycle. If clogged, it can produce a check engine light. That happened in my car about 75k miles. In my state that = failed emissions test. AFAIK, this has zero impact on performance and driveability but does produce a constant red warning light. If you're reasonably handy and don't mind a bit of a mess, the SAI ports can usually be cleaned sufficiently by hand. There are several DIY articles here on the topic.
exactly...

one exception, on a 95 (OBD I car) you won't get a CEL.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:42 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Thought I'd give the group an update on our progress since many so far have been extremely helpful and informative.

Today we met with the current owner of the 993. My wife decided to see if she would enjoy driving the car as it's supposed to be driven - with gusto. So we met at a cafe in the mountains and they two took off in the car with my on my motorcycle as chase vehicle. I was curious to see just how fast this car could go with the owner at the wheel. The idea was the owner would instruct and demonstrate then they'd switch positions and she'd drive while he coached.

Well, I was in for a run that's for sure. I had no idea these cars were that fast. I ride a liter bike and am pretty decent on it as a former road racer. Yet when the owner took off on a tight course, he lost me for a second until I re-thought this realizing this is a serious contest after all. Anyway, I was able to catch up, but it wasn't a casual ride. He was clearly better than I was on the tighter turns but my weight / hp advantage (125 rwhp on 425 lbs) saved me when things opened up.

After a perhaps 20 km, the owner stopped and my wife got her turn to drive the course in the opposite direction. Initially she was timid but she clearly got better and more into the groove of the thing turn by turn until at the end of the course she was moving along smartly. She's been on a high about the drive since then.

I suspect we'll own this car before long barring something unforeseen occurring or a surprise bust at Tuesday's PPI. Here is s telephone low rez camera snap of the car:

Old 08-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

That's one crazy test drive. Nearly disappeared with your wife. Lol.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I think that is just freakin' awesome...
Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Yeah, Trudy said when the owner was going at it hard, she only stayed in her seat due to the seatbelt. I guess there was a lot of side force. It sure surprised me that one of these cars can go fast enough to get away from me on my bike. The owner is a darn good driver. Except when someone pulled out in front of him, he never applied the brakes.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:03 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Boy I wish my wife was enthusiastic like that. You're lucky! Good luck with the PPI. Sounded like an accommodating seller too which helps in purchase confidence.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:13 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

I'm really mixed about the purchase, but am keeping 100% neutral. My issue is simply skepticism about yet another vehicle which will give us 3 with four wheels (car, 4. x 4 truck and Porsche) four motorcycles and two bicycles just to top it off.

As to other wives, well, this has me beat all to squat. She never showed any interest in cars before or even learning how to drive well. She started out looking for a 'sports car' which I figured would fade after a few looks / test drives. However, as soon as she saw this 993, not just a 993 or a Porsche, but this one, she got hit by the thunderbolt.

I conclude that if it can hit my wife, it can also hit your wives too. She's gone from 0 to 100 in car fever and did it within 2 seconds of seeing this car pull up.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:08 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

You may not want to put your wife in a 993 turbo!

Quick Reply: Prospective 993 Purchase