Sponsored by:

Just came back from visiting Heigo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just came back from visiting Heigo

Just came back from picking up my Heigo Aluminum roll bar at the factory in Germany, and found out to my disappointment that the brackets for the roll bar have to be welded in

I am not planing on tracking my car so the roll bar is mostly for looks

Now I am wondering if I should sell it or just fabricate a bracket so I could bolt it under the seat belt mounts.

Any of you know when Heigo went from bolt in to weld in ?

On a more positive note i catched up some hard back sport seats in pretty good condition for about 1000 USD.
Just have to change the color from grey to black and have the backs painted SY
Old 07-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

a rollbar on the street without significant padding is dangerous if not deadly.

They are intended to be used with a helmet.

I really think you should reconsider using this if you are just doing it for looks.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the heads up, but cant quite see how i could get my head close to it as it is quite far behind the seat.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

It is far now, but when you roll over or are hit hard enough, your head will yank and *will* hit the bar. I have seen the ugly results of that happening. In the autopsy room.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
It is far now, but when you roll over or are hit hard enough, your head will yank and *will* hit the bar. I have seen the ugly results of that happening. In the autopsy room.
No kidding. We're all shocked to find out how the body stretches when "something bad" happens, right?

Don't you just love all the convertibles around, now Miatas but British cars back in the old days, with rollbars waiting to crack a skull?
Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile I have had parts on order from Heigo through...

FVD for months...

I installed the Heigo steel cage in my car...epic, incredible craftsmanship. Love it better than the Safety Devices cage. I do have padding all over the bar cage in places where my head to hit it. Remember, seat belts can stretch up to 30% on im pact, so it is said.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:49 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

The craftsmanship is first class.

And yes, I am absolutely sure that if i stretch that far i will not survive, roll bar or not.

Does anyone know when they went from bolt in to weld in ?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default My Heigo cage is ....

...bolt together, with one exception. There are footers/receptacles placerd at either end of the door sills that the bolt together bar needs to anchor in to. I wouldn't worry much. Just weld in the feet, two on each side on the door sill. If you want to remove the bar for sale, just cut the footers out with a plasma welder, get some paint....it will look nearly original.

Note that the cage does go across the windshield and across the tops of the doors. You would want to put roll bar padding there. Also note that you will lose the function of your sun visors.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Thanks Martin,

I just got a roll bar (hoop), not a full cage.

Yes I will probably just weld it in.
In 1999 I did a forward loop in a Landcruiser 80 series and the roof came down to the seats backs (bending all the head rest 90 degrees backwards), its still can not understand how I got away from that one.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default If you want a true bolt in hoop bar...

the best one I have seen is made by DAS-sport. Perhaps they sell them in Europe, don't know. They are extremely well made. and truly bolt in, no holes to drill. The vertical part of the bar connects into the "B" pillar using the seat belt bolt in area, the rearward facing tubing bolts into the rear passenger seat area. Personally, I was concerned about my DAS-sport bar, since my shoulder harness were connected to the bar that goes across the back of the seats, were I to put a real large "G" load on the shoulder belts in a frontal impact, the rearward tubing connectors that bolt into the rear passenger seat could shear off, and the bar could go forward pivoting from the "B" pillar connectors. But I an sure that is a highly unlikely event.

The DAS-sport bolt in bar are made of mild steel (easier to weld than chrome moly steel). My Heigo cage is also fabricated from mild steel.

Aluminum bars are not generally acceptable for racing and high performance drivers education in the states. However, aluminum is good because it is light.

Check out DAS-sport....you were real lucky in that forward loop.

Where is the Heigo shop? I'd love to have their mailing address.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:55 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't Heigo sell a fully bolt-in rollbar? I almost ordered it from FVD a little while ago. But just checked their website and there are no bars at all. Just accessories and powdercoating options. Weird.

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...oof-coupe.html

This was for sale a little while ago. Note. No welding required. All Bolt-in
Old 07-31-2010, 12:00 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info P1CR,

I am just wondering if it just attaches to the single seat belt bolt below the B pillar, or if more attachment points are used ?
Anyone know this ?
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The model in the ad bolts to the lower seat belt mount. There were several configurations the last time I checked. Some that bolt, some that don't. Some with crossbars, some without.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Don't yall think pics would help this thread...
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Pics would be nice...car..

not available..

Question...I am just wondering if it just attaches to the single seat belt bolt below the B pillar?

Answer...that is where it attaches. To get to it you have to remove the cover that goes from the rear passenger seat up to the quarter window, the window(s) behind the front cabin.

Installation is pretty simple....easier jet if you remove the seats.

Quick Reply: Just came back from visiting Heigo