Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Have Been Polishing! I Have Issues, I Know!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in awe.

So can you describe your process? Looks like you start with a wire brush on a drill motor.

Wow!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:17 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

So when are you coming over to do mine? Heck I'll even supply the beer and pizza to keep you going.

Last edited by My993C2; 07-28-2010 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

That is fabulous. Its that type detail that if you ever had it for sale, the first guy who saw it would say, "I'll take it; whatever you're asking, I'll take it."

I can't believe how you got 'inside' the socket headed bolts too. You are in need of counseling.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Priceless
Racer

wholly crap...that is AWESOME
Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce SEA 993
I am in awe.

So can you describe your process? Looks like you start with a wire brush on a drill motor.

Wow!
+1 please
Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great. However,

squinting your eyes is not an approved method of eye protection. GET SOME GLASSES ON!

Phil
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Holy Schnike. There may be a new sheriff in town.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:35 AM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey, you missed a spot.

Oh, wait ... that's a dust mote on my monitor. I knew the problem had to be on my end.

Incredible, fanatic work. It's not for everyone, but those are some beautiful bits you've exposed.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:35 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by larpy
I have a Bendpak 4 post lift. It does make it much easier.
Pretty impressive results. My wife already thinks I spend too much time washing and waxing my car, she'd probably have me committed if I took things that far

BTW, is it just the perspective of the photo or is the roof of your car perilously close to your garage ceiling when the car is up on the lift!?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Holy Schnike. There may be a new sheriff in town.
Agreed.

Once Andreas sees this, he's gonna need a hit of Xenit
Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Ouhhh, wire brush, drill, no safety glasses....not good.
I don't know what to think of your cleaning job. It's absolutely nice but at some point I think one has to stop the hype and think about the consequences this can have on you.
I like my car clean inside and out and I notice that it gets to me after a couple of long drives, maybe even at night, that I have thousands of killed critters stuck to the front of the car, road gunk, break dust etc. Having a cab, there is always lot's of dust on the dashboard so everytime I drive it, I'm trying to do damage control as good as I can because the next time I take a drive, I want to sit in a clean and tidy car.
I try to avoid rain too. So I catch myself too many times washing and cleaning it to the point where the neighbor kids come over and ask me why I always clean the damn car.
And if I'm not cleaning it, there is always something to wrench on or do some service and look for abnormalities.
I now try to let go more often and don't be so picky about everything.
When I look at your car, I try to imagine what your thoughts are when/if you take it out for a drive.
Are you becoming the slave of your car? Can you do this over and over again after you take the car out? How much time do you spend driving versus cleaning? I admire your power to detail this stuff.
Good luck with keeping the car so clean. I hope you find it worth while.
Ed
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 AM
parsonii
Racer

mental, beautiful.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Man you are absolutely ..., well you probably need some ..., have you ever considered ..., hell you just have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time on you hands. I'd bet Andreas is in tears with admiration. Yes, I'M HATING!!!!!! But seriously, beautiful work.

Ken
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree--great job. Looks magnificant, really!!

I would encoutrage you to wear safety glasses and maybe a mask?? Geez, are you really breathing that air and crap in??
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to the responses. I knew people were going to ask if I ever drive it. In the past year I have put approx 4500 miles on it. It has been driven in the rain about a ½ dozen times and has even seen some light snow chasing boulderbobo and aircooled through the Boulder, Co canyons. My trick to keeping it clean is to work on it a little at a time when my kids are outside playing in the cul-de-sac in front of my house. I built my “man den” in my garage and enjoy being out there.

The picture of me with the drill and no glasses was stupid! That was me jumping head first into the project late last year when boulderbobo and aircooled came to visit. Boulderbobo made the comment, “Man, does not look good on the bottom side!” and that was all it took! I have been working on it since then. So, how do I do it? Here is my process:

1. I started with a putty knife removing the heavy stuff
2. I then used a cordless drill with a couple of cheap steel brushes from Harbor Freight to remove a lot of cosmoline at once
3. After a large amount was removed I soaked it with Xenit and waited 10-15 minutes
4. I own a carpet cleaning business and have a 100,000 BTU diesel fired truck mounted carpet cleaner. I fired that baby up at 170-180 degrees at 800 psi and started cleaning (In the pictures above you will see I built a plastic “tomb” around the bottom of the car to keep the water off the paint and from getting cosmoline all over the garage…cosmoline is sticky)
5. After the Xenit I used brake cleaner on the tight stuff and sprayed it off again at high pressure
6. I purchased small brushes from Harbor Freight to get in the tight spots along with some small picks
7. I did a final soak using pre-spray I use in my carpet cleaning business. It has a PH of 10.5 and is in a gel form. It held tight to the dirt and soaked it. Hit it with a cold water pressure washer.
8. Final step was polishing with “00” steel wool

I use to own an auto detail shop so I truly enjoy cleaning! It helps me relax and I love seeing the immediate results of my efforts. The lift makes cleaning so much easier. The car is always in the air to keep it away from the dog and the kid’s bikes. When I walk past it I always seem to see a spot I missed and I quickly take care of it. This winter I will drop the engine for a LWFW and clutch, plugs wires, etc. and I will get the rest of the cosmoline.

Quick Reply: I Have Been Polishing! I Have Issues, I Know!