Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Big Red Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks Bill, very compelling. It's the setup that would be the impedimenet, I think, to my (soft) setup.

Can you elaborate some on each of the "lower than RS, very stiff, and effective LSD" paramenters? Since track set up is a system, with many interrelationships, it would be good to have a concise explanation of the impact of ride height, chassis stiffness, and differential on the greater rear bias afforded by the RS rears.

Thanks Bill.

Matt
Old 07-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Bill is always there with the good info...

Thanks Bill....I know of a fairly stock 993 that added the RS calipers rears to his Big Red fronts. His car was lowered, PSS9s, believe it had a good LSD. Ho hum, he really couldn't tell much difference. Viper Bob had a great deal on them once upon a time.

I agree completely, if the car is set up with all the goodies you mentioned in your post, I am certain you see much better front rotor life, assuming you are driving the snot out of the car.

I suppose if I could get a set of RS rears cheap, I'd get them. Replacing those front rotors gets pretty expensive. I'd also get the EVO uprights if a bargain set were available...that will be the day!

What I'd really like, is a nice set of slotted front rotors with aluminum hats. The ones I have seen in the past were pretty expensive, so much so that replacing front rotors more frequently becomes "acceptable".

In closing, the Porsche high performance 993 cars such as the 993 RS and the 993RS CS had them...that's all the endorsement I need. If money were no object, I'd have them on already. I'd have the EVO uprights too and some better (than my old PSS9s) coil overs.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Thanks Bill, very compelling. It's the setup that would be the impedimenet, I think, to my (soft) setup.

Can you elaborate some on each of the "lower than RS, very stiff, and effective LSD" paramenters? Since track set up is a system, with many interrelationships, it would be good to have a concise explanation of the impact of ride height, chassis stiffness, and differential on the greater rear bias afforded by the RS rears.

Thanks Bill.

Matt
You wan to limit weight transfer as much as you can, to do that the car needs to be lowered as much as it can be.

There was a great piece in one of the Race engineering journals a few months ago about bias and how to max brake performance, bottom line you want to offload as much as you can from the fronts
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.

What I'd really like, is a nice set of slotted front rotors with aluminum hats. The ones I have seen in the past were pretty expensive, so much so that replacing front rotors more frequently becomes "acceptable".

In closing, the Porsche high performance 993 cars such as the 993 RS and the 993RS CS had them...that's all the endorsement I need. If money were no object, I'd have them on already. I'd have the EVO uprights too and some better (than my old PSS9s) coil overs.
Craig has the Gyrodisks for our cars

DBA has their version

Prosystems can also supply what you describe

CDOC is another that has had them at times, don't know if they are still available
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. So, anyone have a set of rears for sale...

Also, Bill, you think these may have been modified to fit a 911 (fronts I am guessing).
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certz
Thanks for all the help guys. So, anyone have a set of rears for sale...

Also, Bill, you think these may have been modified to fit a 911 (fronts I am guessing).
yes, they appear to be 993tt rear modified to fit the back of a 911, I have 993RS(again same caliper body as the tt) on my C3
this is mine w/ 993RS all around

the fronts don't need to be modified, you just need a flat hat for stock 993tt rotors, the back calipers are modified (like yours) w/ a caliper adapter and the 993RS/tt rear rotors are also modified to fit the 911 parking brake
Old 07-12-2010, 12:29 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks again Bill. It looks like Lindsey racing sells an adapter for the 911. So I will put these up for sale as modified rears that will fit a 911 with an adapter.

I have been searching for rear calipers for sale and not having much luck. Where did you source yours from.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certz
Thanks again Bill. It looks like Lindsey racing sells an adapter for the 911. So I will put these up for sale as modified rears that will fit a 911 with an adapter.

I have been searching for rear calipers for sale and not having much luck. Where did you source yours from.
I bought them from one of the Big West Coast shops that was having a close out sale on 993RS rears, when everyone started switching to 996 the 993 parts were often sold at fairly reasonable prices

I have heard several times that the RS rears are nla, don't know the truth of it.

for 993tt rears go try one of the big dealers that do oem discounts

Hennesee in Atlanta( Hennesee has gotten a lot of RS parts for me too just ask), or Sunrise in Fla or Sunset in Oregon.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

RS rears are in Germany and on the shelf.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Doink
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much ? $$$$$ ?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Doink
Track Day

The reason for asking is I think I'm gonna need some new fronts, because my caliper plates are lifting, and I can't get them out. Help. I think the RS upgrade maybe too expensive though.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Doink
Track Day

PS. I have a '94 stock Euro 993 C2.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought RS rears from Sunset in Oregon in March of this year, they said there were at least 6 sets available at that time.

The calipers were ~$850 for the 2 rears + shipping, it is a very cheap upgrade, all you need is a set of 993TT rear rotors and pads and you are off.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
...... it is a very cheap upgrade, all you need is a set of 993TT rear rotors and pads and you are off.
as long as you already have the correct front set
Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
David in VA
Instructor

You can also use your old front pads on the rear TT/RS calipers if they're still in good shape.

Quick Reply: Big Red Questions