993 Forum 1995-1998

Big Red Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Big Red Questions

I am trying to install a set of OEM 993TT rear calipers on a 993 C2 and I need the adapter to switch them from top mount to side mount - does anyone no where I can get the adapters?

For those of you that have big reds all around and track the car, how is the brake bias and what pads do you run? I was thinking Pagid blacks up front and yellows in the rear. What are others doing?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I am sure you'll get lot's of great input shortly. But I am surprised you need any adapter at all? I thought they just bolt right up.

Paging the experts!

PS - as for the pad choice, if anything you'd want more bias in the rear. In Pagid-speak, you may have your yellows and blacks mixed up...

Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I am trying to install a set of OEM 993TT rear calipers on a 993 C2 and I need the adapter to switch them from top mount to side mount - does anyone no where I can get the adapters?

For those of you that have big reds all around and track the car, how is the brake bias and what pads do you run? I was thinking Pagid blacks up front and yellows in the rear. What are others doing?
the correct terminology is axial mount which is used in back and radial mount which is used in front.

there is no adapter used at either end, a 993tt front will bolt on to a a 993 and 993tt will bolt on the back

here is a pic of them, top left is an axial mount 993tt rear, top right is an axail mount 993RS rear, bottom is a 993RS also used 993tt radial mount front, to the left are the pads, top yellow(aalso top orange) are 993 front or 993RS/tt rear, bottom yllow are 993RS/tt front and bottom orange are 993 rear(also 930 f/r & 964 f/r)

here you can see how the fronts bolt on radiallly

here you can see how the rears bolt on axially
Old 07-10-2010, 11:40 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by certz

Sounds like you are trying to install the fronts on to the rear of your car...
Old 07-11-2010, 12:53 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Now I am really confused. I installed the fronts no problem, by the way. I bought the rears and they have part numbers as follows:

Which as best as I can tell are the 993tt rears, but they are radial mount, as Bill points out for terminology. What is really interesting is they look, with the exception of the mounting, exactly like the calipers that Bill took pictures of including the pads look identical. What really makes them stand apart from the fronts is the brake line connection point - which is centered for the rears. So, any ideas of what I might have?
Old 07-11-2010, 01:12 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Could you post an image of these rears? Those part numbers appear correct so something is really off here.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Pads...

I use Pagid Yellow or Orange fronts, Black rears...my car came with 993 TT brakes...I think it was a Porsche option....not 100% sure, too lazy to go to the outside file cabinet.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Frorhl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NO! The best on the rear are the RS calipers ! Not the TT calipers !
Read all the post about the big red upgrade and you will understand!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:44 AM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am helping Certz install the brakes on the car. The issue he states is 100% correct. Below is a pic of the actual calipers which have part #'s 993.352.425.10 & 993.352.426.10 on them. Also the piston sizes on this set are smaller & all the same size where as the fronts have 2 larger pistons and 2 smaller ones so they dont seem to be front calipers. When you check the part # they state they are 95-98 Turbo Calipers. It seems like we need an axial mount to radial mount adapter.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I did this mod to my 98 C2S just last year and no adapeters were needed... I think the mounting bolts were longer, but everything bolted right up!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Re. RS rear calipers....VS Turbo calipers

I have 993 TT front and rear calipers on my 97 Carrera. Yes the RS would b e nice, bigger pistons...but the standard Big Reds do just fine. I use Pagid Blacks on the rear to generate a little more bite on the rear.

My car is a track car....6 to 8 events a year. I have had plenty of hard braking experience with the car. The Turbo Big Reds have never let me down.

Get the RS rear calipers for bragging rights, but will they rock your world? I doubt it. And besides, nobody ever went fast standing on the brakes.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xupkid2
I am helping Certz install the brakes on the car. The issue he states is 100% correct. Below is a pic of the actual calipers which have part #'s 993.352.425.10 & 993.352.426.10 on them. Also the piston sizes on this set are smaller & all the same size where as the fronts have 2 larger pistons and 2 smaller ones so they dont seem to be front calipers. When you check the part # they state they are 95-98 Turbo Calipers. It seems like we need an axial mount to radial mount adapter.
as mentioned above those are usually front brake calipers, but you appear to have modified 993tt rears, the tip off is the 4x 28mm pistons a second tip off would be the pads used(see above)

Racetechnology used to modify them for use on a 911 by machining the axial ears off and drilling for radial mount, from left here unmodified 993tt rears, modified 993RS rears(993tt & 993RS use the same rear caliper just w/ different piston setups), 993RS/tt front

no one ever made a set of caliper adapters for those, no need.

my best advice is to sell those and get a set of unmolested 993RS or tt rears
Old 07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have 993 TT front and rear calipers on my 97 Carrera. Yes the RS would b e nice, bigger pistons...but the standard Big Reds do just fine. I use Pagid Blacks on the rear to generate a little more bite on the rear.

My car is a track car....6 to 8 events a year. I have had plenty of hard braking experience with the car. The Turbo Big Reds have never let me down.

Get the RS rear calipers for bragging rights, but will they rock your world? I doubt it. And besides, nobody ever went fast standing on the brakes.
for track cars RS rears have some really big advantages, but the car does need to be set up for them

the#1 edge is that brake loads are off loaded from the overworked fronts, result quicker stops and lower front rotor temps at the cost of higher rear rotor temps, front rotor life will be almost doubled.

I've been monitoring rotor temps at track days and am amazed at some of the findings, so far just on 993, 996 & 997 the guys i run w/ most and have lined up a Cayman S and stock class SC racer car for future monitoring

generalization the fronts of all the stock911/996/997 cars run hotter than he** and the rears are tepid, on mine w/ RS brakes front and rear temps are comparable and way cooler than the other fronts / hotter than the other rears
Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Bill, that's excellent research, thanks for sharing. Can you provide some examples of the temps you've observed on the TT/RS setup front and rear vs. stock?

We've each commented in the past on the merits of the BR upgrade. What appeals to me most are the lower temps in general, and with the greater rear bias on the RS rears, dramatically lower (balanced, with respect to the rear) front temps and wear.

Thanks again.

Best,

Matt
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Bill, that's excellent research, thanks for sharing. Can you provide some examples of the temps you've observed on the TT/RS setup front and rear vs. stock?

We've each commented in the past on the merits of the BR upgrade. What appeals to me most are the lower temps in general, and with the greater rear bias on the RS rears, dramatically lower (balanced, with respect to the rear) front temps and wear.

Thanks again.

Best,

Matt
I will need a larger sample space, but comparing mine to 996 or 997S, and cars that I run w/ on track(comparable speeds), My fronts are less than 1/2 the 996/997 norm, maybe 10% hotter than their norm for rears, my front and rears don't show a huge disparity, theirs shows >100% greater front than rear, most are running Pagid yellow front /black rear, I'm running yellow front & rear.

More data coming

just a note: to run the RS rears you need a lowered car(lower than RS), stiff suspension(RS or better) and effective lsd(motorsports or GT)

Quick Reply: Big Red Questions