993 Forum 1995-1998

Ignition switch lock stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch lock stuck

I have had the ignition switch stick a few times in the past. The key would just not turn. A little jiggling would eventually get it to go. Last week it got to that "oh sh#t" point. I stopped to get gas and when I went to start the car the ignition lock was totally stuck. After several minutes of trying while assessing how I was going to get it home, it finally turned and I drove it straight home. Once in the driveway, I turned it off, pulled out the key and tried it agian. Nothing. It was stuck.

I read up on similar problems other Rennlisters posted and found that a few opted to replace the ignition lock. To get it custome keyed for your car you have to order it from Germany and it costs about $700. The install sounded terrible as well. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to clean the lock cylinder, as that seems to be what the problem is attributed to. Either that or heavy keys wear out the mechanism.

I removed the ignition trim ring and started by squirting brake cleaner into the key hole to clean out the gunk. Form previously posted pictured it looks like the electrical switch portion is sealed off from the mechanicl portion, so I wasn't too worried about solvent getting into the electrical parts. I out rags underneath the dash and under the key hole to catch drips and overflow. I squirted in brake cleaner and then inserted the key, without turning, to get the gunk out. Excess cleaner came out the key hole, so I'mm pretty confident it is not going anywhere behind the dash. After several repeats of that, the key will actually turn. I then followed up with the same procedure using PBlaster and turning the key.

I've only driven it a couple times, but this seems to have fixed the problem. If you run into this, try cleaning it before you replace the ignition lock.

UPDATE:
As of October 2011 I have been driving the car for 15 months since I did this fix and the probleams has not come back.

Last edited by MDamen; 09-30-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know. Did you try powdered graphite first with no success? That is what is used to lubricate locks and I would try that before using any solvents or penetrating products. However, before replacing the lock, I suppose I would do what you did as well!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Bob Makela
Track Day

About 4 months back Excellence had an article on this. They suggested heavy keychains putting pressure on the ignition switch was often the culprit to worn igniition switchs. Anyway they also suggested using a dry lubricant safe for electronics containing teflon. Just look for PTFE (polytetraflourethylene if memory serves) on the aerosal can and that's the one. They also recommended it to be used annually to prevent premature wear.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dry lubricant is probably a good preventative measure. However, if you are already experiencing symptoms then I'm not sure how confident I would be that it is a reliable fix?

Just my thoughts. I'm one of those that paid a fortune to have the lock changed.

pp
Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My steering wheel lock/ignition switch is being replaced as I type.
Big project.
Dealer had to order from the Factory.
We think it may be the cure for my immobilizer woes.
See my post of 7/02 "immobilzer saga.....", 356Racing sent a pic of the steering wheel lock/ignition switch.
Gordo
Old 08-29-2010, 05:00 PM
MDamen
Pro

Update - It has been almost 2 months since I cleaned and lubed the ignition lock cylinder. Everyting works fine.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 AM
MDamen
Pro

It has now been six months of trouble-free starting. I highly recomend cleaning the ignition lock cylinder if you are having trouble with the key turning.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Toto111
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread but well done on the suggestion Mike.
Key has become progressively stuck more often and this weekend my son and I were on the verge of calling mum to pick us up. Now that would have been something!!!!!

Just sprayed the ignition with brake cleaner and inserted the key and turned it maybe 50 times without an issue.

Hope it stays that way!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I experienced the same issue a few years ago. Flushed out the key hole with electric motor cleaner and then sprayed a little silicone lube in. Have not seen the problem since. Also the key will sacrifice metal before the lock does so if your key's tang is brassing around the edges bring your car title to any Porsche dealer and he will order you a new factory cut key tang. There is almost no reason to replace the lock. If needed any competent lock smith who does automotive locks can referb the lock.

Andy

Quick Reply: Ignition switch lock stuck