Sponsored by:

Horn/ braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Chapron67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn/ braking issue

I have this problem with my '96 cab. I've read the assorted discussions on this but have a few questions before I embark on this fix:

- I understand I disconnect the battery, then wait 20-30 minutes because of the air bag (don't understand this).
- I remove the panel from the front of the steering wheel (just 'tug' it off?)
- Then I remove a retaining ring with a 25 Torex-driver
- THen I get some innertube or silicone and 'build up' the 'grommets'.
- reassemble
- connect the air bag
- wait 20-30 minutes and reconnect the battery.

Correct?!

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the panel from the front of the steering wheel tugs off on the older cars with out air bags.
you need to remove the torex screws behind the wheel and it will come off.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:34 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put your hand on the back of your steering wheel and you'll feel the holes. One on each side. Sorry I can't remember - I thought it was a hex that went in there. try enough of them and you'll find the torx/hex that fits.

don't understand the wait either; maybe someone else can shed light. battery should be disconnected. Removed airbag should be stored in a safe place facing up.

As soon as you take off the airbag, you'll see the four grommets on the airbag cage. IIRC, you had to take the cage off to fix the washers.

dave
Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I did this and solved my overly sensitive horn problem. Can't recall why it takes 30 minutes for the airbag system to power down but that's not a big deal. Once you put the silicone in place, I recommend letting it dry before reassembly. Depending on what you use, drying time may range from several hours to a couple of days before it's fully set.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Warpig
Pro

I have removed my airbag on at least 4 occasions within 5 minutes of disconnecting the battery. Don't know what the big worry is. Never even had the airbag light come on when hooked back up and battery connected. Just make sure you dont turn the key on with the battery connected and no airbag connected or you will set an airbag code/light. I pulled off my positive battery post cable and immediately started removing my airbag Torx screws (T25?). Taking a few minutes to remove the airbag. No problems here. Was I lucky? I've done it that same method at least four times. Same result. No worries for me.

Nick

Last edited by Warpig; 07-01-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:15 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 249 Posts

My steering wheel has normal allen bolts, not torx. I tried to fix the rubber grommets, but the failed completely after a year or so. I bought a new airbag frame and popped out the grommets to fit mine, the frame available as spare part were not the same as mine.
Grommets are also available as a spare part:
http://www.allzim.com/cgi/sh000001.p...347_2e823_2e00
Cheers,
Tore
Old 07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Machismo
Intermediate

The purpose for the wait is for the backup energy supply to be depleted. Measured in Ohms, doesn't take much to set these off. However, after unistalling many of these for race preparation in Miatas over the years, not much to worry about. Just be conscious of where your face is when working with them. Biggest issue is definately disconnecting the battery.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Chapron67
Intermediate

>>>> Biggest issue is definately disconnecting the battery.

Sorry, what does this mean? Why 'disconnecting'? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:03 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

I just completed a fix for the intermittant horn issue; comments are posted in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ml#post7656487

Disconnecting the battery means removing the negative ground cable so there is no power available in the car. Out of an abundance of caution (since I am not a mechanic) I taped up the battery terminal post with electrical tape and then secured the negative cable away from the post to make sure the air bag didn't fire into my face. I also waited the 25 minutes mentioned in the thread above (needed to fix another problem anyway) and wore eye protection when I unscrewed the torx screws.

The thread listed above also mentions placing the air bag metal side down on a non-conductive surface; I used cardboard on top of the passenger side carpet.

Quick Reply: Horn/ braking issue