Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I drove this 964R today. And I'm very frustrated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i absolutely love that car. as stated above, i'm pretty sure he's a rennlister and he's been thinking of selling it for a while (that's not a bad thing). wish i had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

OMG I just saw the price. $99,000? WTF? That's guy's smoking crack. He'll do well to get half that. Is that fair? Maybe not but that's what happens when you highly modify a car.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

964 TT BUILD SHEET
WPOAB2960RS420201

Base Car: 1994 C2 Grand Prix White (P5P5) coupe.

Current Weight: 2760lbs with ½ tank of fuel.

Engine: ’96 993TT engine purchased complete w/wiring harness, exhaust, cats ecu, etc. Complete case split and rebuild. Reason for splitting case was to upgrade to ARP rod bolts and head studs. All fresh, bearings, lifters, rings. Everything checked. Every hose and line replaced.

Gearbox: Two wheel drive 993 6-speed (G50-21) with 60/40 LSD. Opened, inspected and freshened. Also installed Turbo half-shafts w/new CV bolts.

Sachs RS Light Weight Flywheel: With a new TO bearing, clutch, etc.

Turbo and induction Upgrade: Installed Ultimate Motorwerks Stage 1. (http://www.ultimatemotorwerks.com/) hybrid 16/24 turbos, matching ECU (’96 w/twin Intel processors) and 130mm 100 cell CATS as well as custom plenum ramp. Passes stringent California smog check. Electronic Boost Controller (“EBC”) with 3 boost programs .8bar, 1bar and 1.2bar. Engine has always been run w/100 octane fuel mixed with regular pump gas, but can run pump gas on 1 bar setting w/no problems. NOTE: Highway fuel economy is +30mpg (has on board computer) Running 1.2 bar on race fuel yields approximately 500 HP.

External Oil Cooler: Turbo S oil cooler installed in highflow area of front bumper opening. Installed brake ducts to increase airflow to A/C condenser and OE oil cooler.

Exhaust: Custom built exhaust tips straight out from 130mm 100 cell race CATS. RSR cookie cutter megaphones cut down for tips. No mufflers.

Drive Block Computer: 993 security key-fob activated door lock/security release. This is a very nice feature as it makes it impossible to steal the car unless its towed. Also keeps 99% of people from driving the car as they can't start it. Basically this is key as it makes everything work like stock.

Suspension: Upgraded w/993 Evo uprights + tie-rods to reduce bump steer and make it safe to run 18's. Installed RS/Cup sway bars. KW V3 coil overs. Specially valved based on car’s specs. Ruf front strut bar. Car has been aligned and corner balanced by Steve Alacron @ Suspension Specialties.

Drive train upgrades: Turbo CVs and 1/2 shalfs.....Also turbo engine mounts.

Brakes: Ruf 965 Turbo brakes. New front 993TT rotors (needed w/993 Evo uprights) installed and new rear rotors.

Wheels/Tires: Ruf 8.5x18s and custom made11x18s. Bridgestone RE050A tires. Wheels powder coated in proprietary black “wrinkle” finish designed by Bob Wake. (Note Bob also shot the rear lenses with a special tint so they are actually “red”)

Rear deck lid: Custom made tail built so that the intercooler will seal as designed by factory. It is a highly modified (built from scratch) duck tail that matches the contours of the rear bumper. After hard run the i/c is cool to the touch!

Front Hood: Carbon fiber from Getty Designs.

Lightweight Interior: Replaced heavy lower dash with earlier dash pad. Removed stock carpet and rear seats and sound padding (except under driver & passenger foot well). Installed RS felt carpet. Similar “felt” ala 917 used on Dash on belting on top of doors and under quarter-windows. Door panels are RS style w/map pockets in both doors as there is no glovebox. Currently has OE 964 Speedster seats with rare oe Porsche hounds tooth cloth inserts; seats also come with original black perforated leather inserts. Aluminum 8-point roll cage from Ruf. Schroth four-point electric belts installed (with oe switch on dash to manually lock) as well as onboard fire exstinguisher. Radio delete plate and all associated non-op wires removed from wiring harness. New headliner. All interior done by “Interiors by Porfi”

Gauges: 200 mph Speedo by North Hollywood Speedo. VDO boost gauge w/tell-tale. gReddy boost controller set to .8, 1.0 and 1.2 bar. Any important warning light from clock moved to other gauges!

Body: Body was built by Chris Thompson and is all steel. Chris is top restoration metal fabricator in Southern California. Specializes in aluminum. Rear quarters have been flared +2 inches. The A pillar has been shaved ala 935 and 935 aero mirrors installed. Original roof/Sunroof removed and early model (lightest weight) installed. Rear reflector panel deleted and now aluminum. Rear lower aluminum valance to hide heater pipes. Door beams cut from car. Inner aluminum bumpers “swiss cheesed” and heavy bumper shocks deleted for crush tubes. Front fenders lips rolled. Special modification to rear window to get factory lightweight 939RS glass to fit in stock 964 position. Full respray in OE GP White.

Installation: Only a few people in US who can do this 993TT installation job correctly. Installation by Lance Aspesi, master mechanic and computer programmer. Mr. Aspesi is an aircraft mechanic that specializes in Porsche engine swap projects...incredibly meticulous, super clean, etc. After seeing his work, if I was not able to retain him, I was not going to do the job.

Additional Information: Everything on this car works. Heater, wipers, lights A/C blows ice cold (’94 was on model year equipped with the upgraded 993 style much improved A/C). Car has been over its lifetime well cared for and there are stacks of documents including the original window sticker. This car has never been in an accident and is as nice underneath as it is on top. Sold originally from Pioneer Porsche in San Diego.

Car has approximately 7,500 miles on it since new engine/gearbox swap. I am the 3rd owner since it was sold at Pioneer Porsche in San Diego back 1994. This is a “94” so one of the very last of the 964 cars and last of all hand built Porsches.

TIME: Project took 3 years to complete.

Magazine Coverage

Excellence Magazine: Car appeared on cover and a seven (7) page spread in the November 2008 issue.
911&Porsche World: Car had a six (6) page spread in April 2009 issue.
GT Purely Porsche: Multiple requests to shoot car, but no jurno’s in US.
Total 911: Seven (7) page spread in Issue 60, March 2010.
European Car: Contacted me in August ’09 about doing a feature/TBA
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Eric, think of it relative to the value of an American hot rod. A running 32 Ford can be worth $5,000 or after some crafting, $200,000. If I modified the Ford, it would be worth nothing. If Chip Foose modified the Ford, it would be worth $200k. Both use metal and rubber, wheels and pipes. Sometimes, the right combination of parts, attention, and hand-craftsmanship produces a result like this.

My car has $100k in it over the last 6 months. Nobody is calling me for an photo shoot!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Although I've had several high dollar inquiries...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" I've been giving my 993 the stink-eye ever since. "

Just put a 993 TT motor in yours, I don't get it? One of the greatest evolutions in the 911 line is the suspension from that era to the 993 era.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 PM
EastBay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know... just looking at the pictures I see 5 or 6 projects for you
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Agreed about the suspension... Stink-eye was a temporary condition. I love my 993. And I don't need more power and grip. So I wouldn't bother with the motor. This 964 isn't simply about hp.

My car is currently on a diet. door panels, lower dash, seats arrive this weekend. the problem is, cutting weight will get increasingly difficult and expensive. Not to mention, make the car no longer road-worthy.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
seats arrive this weekend.
Nice! What did you go with, RS?

You're on the right program (weight loss) and it should keep you as busy as you seem to like to be. I don't agree that your car is replaceable. I've never seen one that color and its undoubtedly one of the sexiest 993s I've ever seen.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

I say he's lucky to get 50k for it.
100k that's high mileage 993 turbo S territory.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Eric, think of it relative to the value of an American hot rod. A running 32 Ford can be worth $5,000 or after some crafting, $200,000. If I modified the Ford, it would be worth nothing. If Chip Foose modified the Ford, it would be worth $200k. Both use metal and rubber, wheels and pipes. Sometimes, the right combination of parts, attention, and hand-craftsmanship produces a result like this.

My car has $100k in it over the last 6 months. Nobody is calling me for an photo shoot!
If you think it's worth it, then pay it. But you just can't compare classic hot rods to a 15 year old porsche, which practically nobody cares about. Remember this is a bastard car, not a restored hot-rod.

Verrrrrry few folks (if any) who'd pay $100k for that.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Yup. They arrive as soon as Friday, but they're friggin pink. (metallic strawberry). I'll have to disassemble and paint.

Hopefully a quick process.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yup. They arrive as soon as Friday, but they're friggin pink. (metallic strawberry). I'll have to disassemble and paint.

You mean Rubystone Red? Anyway, great opportunity to color-match the shells to the exterior. The RS gray inserts will match your interior perfectly and look outstanding. Well done.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

And it's clear the owner has his head partway up his *** when he makes comments like this:

"This is a “94” so one of the very last of the 964 cars and last of all hand built Porsches."

and

"Highway fuel economy is +30mpg. "

Again, great sounding car, he's just hoping a little too hard.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 278 Posts

Son of a bitch....! I offered the guy $3k for those! They'll be perfect in your car though Maz - the best color seats for you considering the color of your carpet. Congrats (you ******)!

Quick Reply: So I drove this 964R today. And I'm very frustrated.