Sponsored by:

OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 AM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark,

I too feel the pain. I just put down our 13 year old Weimariner last week, who had a stroke right in front of me and my wife. A beautiful, loyal running companion for years, and a great friend to me and my familiy. I feel exactly as you do about the loss. It hurts a lot.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:38 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thx. great thread... i've wanted a dobie since i was a kid. one day. ya'll had a great run.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:36 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I had to get away from this thread for a but, so sorry that I have not responded.I really appreciate everyone's warm responses. I have been doing better but still really long for my Rudy. Such a silly, loving dog.
Originally Posted by KJ1
Mark,

My deepest sympathies.

I am in the same boat with Sadie my German Shepherd.

Sadie is 9yrs old. She also has Degenerative Myopathy. She was diagnosed about 4.5 yrs ago. The vet gave her 6 to 12 months then. My wife found a protocol being tried by by Dr. Clemmons http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm , have been doing this and it has given Sadie a lot longer than they gave her...

D.M is horrible. I hate it. I've had to watch it take my 95lb Shepherd from being a "machine" down to needing help from me to get around. I've got her wearing a harness to help with her rear. Unfortunately D.M. isn't just limited to the hind end and if the dog lives long enough it will work its way forward up the dog effecting the circulatory system as well as everything else...

Like MS in people there are good days and there are bad days. Sadie has had her share of both.

But now, the bad days are happening a lot more frequent with the DM and her time is growing short. My wife and I are now making the plans for when we need to make the decision that Sadie's fight is over. I was up all last night thinking about it. I'm grateful for every moment I have had with this dog. I've got a particular attachment to the GSD. I had one when I was a kid that we lost when I was 14 it took me a long time to get over it and get Sadie.

This dog has been my best friend. I take some joy in knowing that though now she is in her twilight, I was able to move her out of the 2 bed room town house my wife and I started in, to the large home with a huge fenced yard that we have now. We moved in the new place in October. I never thought she was going to make it this far...

Sadie has gotten to patrol the yard to the best of her ability while my 2 yr old son plays out side.

It isn't fair.
I'm angry.
Etc...

Again , my condolences.

-Karl
Karl,

Thanks. Sorry to hear about your dog. I tried Dr. Clemmon’s methods, but they were not that fruitful.

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
So sorry to hear about your lost.

My last dog buckwheat (terrier-poodle - looked like the dog on the scotch bottle) passed in 1995. Looking at her on the vets table, under oxygen etc, passing away was painful. I cried and sweared I would never own another, was just too paingful. My kids keep asking for a dog, but everytime I remember that day I say no. May eventually break down and get another. So for right now they have a cat, but it's not the same.
Sorry for your loss, Tony. You know what I;m going through (still).

Originally Posted by Academictech
Sorry to hear Mark.

As quoted by Will Rogers "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Yeah, I’ve read that before. Awesome quote.

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
Very sorry to hear this Mark. I'm sure the memories are bittersweet but hope they somehow bring a smile to your face at this time.
Thanks for your kindness, Mark.

Originally Posted by mtl911sc
Stumbled upon your post & couldn't stop reading. Unfortunately the pain is always there, it just hides most of the time.

I wish you a gentle & steady recovery from your grief Mark. I was a real mess after my Basset Hound's time came last summer...was exactly a year ago that we brought him home from emergency surgery and found out he had advanced lymphoma. 6 weeks later he was gone.

RIP Rudy, and RIP Winston:
Thanks for taking the time to write. Yep, the pain is not too far.

Originally Posted by aeshultz
Mark;
Sorry to hear. We lost an excellent friend four years ago now, and reading this brings it all back. You'll move on, but you'll always remember, as you should.
I wish you peace.
Thanks, Alan. I think about him every day.

Originally Posted by csertich
I'm sorry to hear this Mark. My condolences. I know how hard this is.
chuck
I appreciate the condolences, Chuck. Hope you’re doing okay.

Originally Posted by K964
Mark,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I've been in your shoes twice in the past 18 months. Think of the good times you both shared. You were both fortunate to have eachother and will meet up again someday at the Rainbow Bridge.

Mike and Parker----/
/
/
<-------------------
Thanks, Mike. I’ve always loved your avatar.

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I avoided looking at this thread for a while now because I knew it would be sad. But I finally did read your first post.

He lived a good life. 14-15 years is a long time. You provided him with love, affection, and a nice home. He was grateful for every day.

There's a big void right now, and that's truly the hardest part. Try to focus on Rudy, and keep reminding yourself that he had a great life.
Well-said, Canyon.

Originally Posted by cabrio993
I just had to put my buddy Hugo down today due to cancer. He fought hard but I knew he had enough.

I found this poem. I'm sure his pain is now over. Mine is just starting... Life just sucks sometimes.

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
No words needed, Sergio. You know that I know. Hugo was an amazing dog.

Originally Posted by Kigiin
Mark,

I am sure you appreciate the out pouring of support here, I know I would too.

I had a number of dogs as a kid, but never remember a bond like I have to our current dog... Phoenix... aka French Fry... aka Square.

Many of us know, or will know, what you are going through.
Nice photo. I can feel your dog’s spirit. He looks like a lot of fun.

Originally Posted by RFMASSA
Mark,

I too feel the pain. I just put down our 13 year old Weimariner last week, who had a stroke right in front of me and my wife. A beautiful, loyal running companion for years, and a great friend to me and my familiy. I feel exactly as you do about the loss. It hurts a lot.
Ooh, that’s fresh. I’m so sorry. Your dog appreciate you being there. I wish you comfort.

Originally Posted by 24FPS
thx. great thread... i've wanted a dobie since i was a kid. one day. ya'll had a great run.
Rich, thanks for the post. Although Rudy was not a purebred Dobie, like many owners who have spent time with a certain breed, I have since become totally enmored with the Dobes. They are so loyal, smart and beautiful.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Mark,
When I read about your sad loss on June 21st, I had no inkling how close I was following behind you. We were traveling in Alaska, and had been out of contact for a couple of days, then I got a voicemail July 5th from the kennel that our Yorkie Lucy wasn't doing well, and they had taken her to the vet. I called back only to learn that she had died the day before--hemangiasarcoma--a word I really didn't want to learn--an aggressive, rapidly metastasizing cancer. When I got home and had a chance to talk to the vet, his description was "they blow up in your face". Her spleen was just taken over by this disease, and a spleenectomy with chemotherapy gives a ten per cent survival rate at one year. I'm glad I didn't have to make that choice. She went very quickly and I hope without suffering.

Now the bright side of this tale. A few days before Lucy died, while we were away, a friend of ours was looking for a new home for her daughter's Yorkie. The daughter had married and moved into an apartment where she couldn't keep the dog. A few days after we got back home, we went to meet this little dog. There were five strange people in the house, but after the dog settled down a bit, she came directly to me, jumped in my lap, and licked my face. Somehow these wonderful animals sense human needs. She came home with us for a trial visit, and turned out to be a little marvel, already crate trained, housebroken, took all of an hour to learn the doggie door routine, and is now busy teaching me all her favorite games--she is a total rubber ball freak. Her name is Bella, and she is filling in the hole that was left in my heart by Lucy's death.

People say that all things happen for a reason. I think this was to show us once again the power and value of friends, both two- and four-legged.
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Wow, Bobby, that's brutal. Hopefully, Lucy didn't suffer much. Congrats on finding another dog! You were both at the right place and at the right time. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:57 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark
I am sorry for your loss. Have been in similar situations several times. The one I really regretted was when I waited longer than I should have because I could not let go. Made my best friend suffer, because I could not face the pain. You did the right thing, but damn it hurts.
When you are ready, consider getting another. None can, or should be expected to, replace your friend. But they can be unique in their own way, if allowed.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry Mark, didn't want to make another thread, but my little Moxie lost her battle with cancer. She passed in the back yard a few hours before the doctor was coming to put her down. I know it was for the best, but it still sucks ***! It's been a couple of weeks now, & I'm starting to get used to her being gone. But the house does feel very empty, as so do I.

Boy did she love car rides!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fly2low
Mark
I am sorry for your loss. Have been in similar situations several times. The one I really regretted was when I waited longer than I should have because I could not let go. Made my best friend suffer, because I could not face the pain. You did the right thing, but damn it hurts.
When you are ready, consider getting another. None can, or should be expected to, replace your friend. But they can be unique in their own way, if allowed.
It sure does hurt, Rich. I miss my shadow.
Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Sorry Mark, didn't want to make another thread, but my little Moxie lost her battle with cancer. She passed in the back yard a few hours before the doctor was coming to put her down. I know it was for the best, but it still sucks ***! It's been a couple of weeks now, & I'm starting to get used to her being gone. But the house does feel very empty, as so do I.

Boy did she love car rides!
Sorry, Stealth. That sucks; I hope she died peacefully. Yeah, you had posted about her a few weeks ago. Great photos, BTW.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Bobby G
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark, Mike, Bobby - sorry for your losses.
Mark, I read your original post and it told a wonderful story of your special relationship with your dog. You helped each other live life while together.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bobby G
Mark, Mike, Bobby - sorry for your losses.
Mark, I read your original post and it told a wonderful story of your special relationship with your dog. You helped each other live life while together.
We sure did, Bobby, we sure did. Thanks for your comment.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bond between a man and HIS dog is one of the strongest in life and you can treasure so many brilliant memories for ever.

One of the biggest loves in my life is an 8 or 9 year old Staffordshire-Something-Or-Other-Cross called Sheila and I rescued her from the local dogs home four years ago. As you have had with Rudy, the bond I have with Sheila is amazingly strong and perhaps even stronger because she is a rescue dog.

From past experience, when you're able, take a trip to the SPCA again and see how you feel about giving another rescue dog a home. You're clearly a true dog man and I'm sure you can have that bond again. Maybe not the same as you've had with Rudy, but as strong in a different way.

Good luck man, I hope you feel better soon.

I'm sure Rudy would want you to be happy again and enjoying the company of another dog.

Last edited by Cristel993; 08-03-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cristel993
The bond between a man and HIS dog is one of the strongest in life and you can treasure so many brilliant memories for ever.

One of the biggest loves in my life is an 8 or 9 year old Staffordshire-Something-Or-Other-Cross called Sheila and I rescued her from the local dogs home four years ago. As you have had with Rudi, the bond I have with Sheila is amazingly strong and perhaps even stronger because she is a rescue dog.

From past experience, when you're able, take a trip to the SPCA again and see how you feel about giving another rescue dog a home. You're clearly a true dog man and I'm sure you can have that bond again. Maybe not the same as you've had with Rudy, but as strong in a different way.

Good luck man, I hope you feel better soon.

I'm sure Rudy would want you to be happy again and enjoying the company of another dog.
Well-put, Cristel. It will take a while for my heart to make space for another dog. I really thought Rudy was the greatest.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 353 Likes on 157 Posts

This is all way too sad.... Too many of us are losing our waggy tailed friends as of late.

Hugs to all of you.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:02 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

great thread.....
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

It's been over a year now since we lost Lucy. I finally worked up the nerve to make a marker and bury her cremains in our back yard. I thought I was a tough old SOB, combat Marine, retired cop, and all that, but these little furry guys get under your skin.

We love Bella greatly, in a different way, she is just a charmer, and entertains everyone who comes to our home. Here she is begging for a tummy rub:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep