OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very sorry to hear Mark.

I went through this little over year ago and it is a VERY difficult decision to make but in the end, you did a favor to a dear friend who has given you so much during his life time.

R.I.P. Rudy.

"Life for dogs is short because they have so much love to give, it's like a candle , they burn brighter and better, but dont last as long"
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 AM
ballpeen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry for your loss Mark. I had the unfortunate experience last year of having to put down two dogs within months of one another. Simply devastating. I think the worst part however was watching the behavior of a third remaining dog. The poor thing had no idea where his mates had gone. I feel your sorrow. I hope you can find some solace in the life you offered a rescue.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 AM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark - so sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine the pain of having to put down your "best friend". My dachshund is getting older and I too have thought about him not being around. It saddens me just to think of it. Your story of your memories and times together brought tears to my eyes. Looks like you guys created a lot of memories together!

Andy
Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Mark, I'm so sad hearing about this. Rudy was a great dog. I don't know if I should tell my 10 year old daughter that Rudy passed away. She still remembers walking him around the paddock at Summit Point when she was 5. He was a little taller than her, but was gentle and never pulled or tried to lead. I remember how Rudy would stand at attention and wait until you returned from your run. The only time we ever heard him bark was when Tim played with that RC car and Rudy wasn't too happy about having something that fast running around the shop.

Cherish your memories.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Mark,

I just saw this post and am deeply, deeply saddened by the news. My kids still talk about Rudy and they 7 and 4 when they met him at CMP. They will be praying for you and Rudy tonight as will I. My condolences, friend.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Mark,

So sorry to hear this news I dont know what to say other than to keep your chin up and know that you clearly provided the greatest life for this dog!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Mark, I'm truly sorry! I am in the same boat, my best friend has cancer, & only has a few months left, we have been trying to do so much with her. This really hit home, & I am feel your pain, & am sorry. At least you got 14 years! Looks like a great friend!!

We all know we will out live our pets, but we all think they will leave of old age, & not be taken from us, it SUCKS!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Mark, I feel for you, friend. It's very hard not to get choked up when I think about your experience, as it makes me think of my old dog.

I had a dog from the time I was 4 years old until I had to put him to sleep when I was 19. "Good-Guy" (hey, I named him when I was 4!), was an Old English sheepdog type mutt and my constant companion and best friend during a childhood filled with divorce, moving and other tumult. That, at a time when I didn't make friends as easily.

I know I waited way too long to take Good-Guy to the vet when it was time to say good-bye, and he could no longer walk either when I did so. Piling him into the wheelbarrow I had, and walking him to the vet was the longest walk I've ever made.

Although I was 19 when this happened, I'd never remembered a time where we weren't together. I cried a lot during that time, and was deeply affected by his passing for a long, long time. It's been over 20 years, and it still stays in my memory. I've not owned another dog since. Maybe I will one day.

Since then, I've had many people pass in my life, including my Dad. But of all those I hope to see when I leave this place, it's my dog I hope to see.

The sadness you'll feel is the price you pay for all the joy you brought one another. It sounds like you, too, had a great friendship. And for that, you're both very lucky.

Best of luck to you during this time, Mark.
GBD - That's a really sad story. You had to tote your dog to the vet in a wheelbarrow?? Brutal.

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Mark:
I recently went through the same thing. I described the feeling to people in the days afterward as being like "walking between walls of steel". The pain was unbearable. Even now, reading your experience, it comes right back.
He will leave an unfillable hole in your heart. Tough as it is, that's the way it's meant to be. It shows how much you both meant to each other.

We take these guys into our hearts, knowing that eventually this day will come. When it gets tough, the notion of 'Rainbow Bridge' helps me. I truly believe we will see them again.

Take care,
Barry
Thanks for sharing, Barry. I hope to see him again. I was not up for small talk after Rudy died and could not listen to the radio in the morning or while driving; I wanted my head to be with him.

Originally Posted by ltc
My wife and I have been thru it more times than we can count (at least 12 times) over the years. Unfortunately, Saint Bernards usually don't make it to 10 yrs old.

It doesn't get any easier, but in the end, it comes down to doing the one thing for your dog that it can not do for itself.
Given the fact that a dog gives you a lifetime of loyalty and companionship, it is the least you can do when the time comes and not think of yourself.

My wife cries for days, she sleeps with the dog's collar and eventually comes back to normal. A new dog enters the household pack and the cycle repeats.

I usually just read "The Rainbow Bridge" and hope that it is in fact true.

My condolences.
Lewis - Thanks. I was helping him walk and carrying him around. I just didn't want to keep him around for me.

Originally Posted by black ice
I am very sorry for your loss Mark. Looking back at my shih tzu right now and not looking forward to suffering through this.

Screw the OT board. We're your peeps. Keep it in the family.

dave
Dave - Damn straight. Thanks. Go hug your dog.

Originally Posted by Priceless
My condolences.

I know how you feel...I put my 15 yr old schnauzer down a few yrs ago...she was the best...i still miss her

=====

rodney
Thank you, Rodney. Time doesn't always make the hurt go away.

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
That's a awful good looking boy there Mark. It is amazing the bond we make with these animals. I think you know he is a better place. Sorry for your pain.

I know this pain all too well. We lost our boy on June 30, 2009 almost 1 year ago from today. Tiberius was our heart dog. We we not lucky enough to have children of our own, so we have dogs. We got Ty on my 40th birthday from the Boulder humane society. This dog was the best thing my wife and I ever did together. Ty suffered bone cancer which is extremely painful. The vet want to take his leg. We did not think that a 12 yo dog would survive the surgery. The cancer was spreading like fire.

On his last day Mary and I spent the entire day with him. We did all his favorite things. We went swimming, had ice cream and hung out in his favorite park. We too had the vet come to the house. I will never forget him leaving this life.

Ty was awesome dog and sounds like your boy Rudy was too.

Your story makes me cry.

Sorry man.

Bob-
Bob - Thanks for sharing the photos of Ty. What a great-looking and fun dog. Describing his last days is hard to read.

Originally Posted by e9stibi
This is very sad. We have two labs and I do not want to even think about this ...
Thanks. I hope you have many, many, many happy years together.

Originally Posted by SeanR
Damn.....I had just got done yelling at my dogs for doing what they know....barking. I was too busy under a car to get my *** up and let them in, so in frustration I get pissed at them and yell.

Come back out here and see this thread, read it, then went back in for a few minutes of puppy love.

I'm so sorry to hear this, I dread the day I will have to put mine down.

Thanks for posting so dumbass will think a bit more before yelling at mine. Time is too short.
Sean - Life can be funny. Your dogs love you and need you.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Sorry to read this Mark. It sounds like the same thing that took my first German Shepherd, Tasha. I put her down on Father's Day 1997. Father's Day is not a pleasant time for me (no kids, just dogs). I could not believe how much I cried that day.

I too hope Tasha is waiting for me on the other side. Wish you all the best.
Bill - Thanks so much. Degenerative myelopathy is very common with German shepherds. I, too, hope to see my Rudy on the other side.

Originally Posted by jscott82
Mark ,
My (and my wifes) condolences...... While our pup is only 3, I cant bear the though of when his day comes (sitting here with tears).... They really do become part of the family....

It sounds like you did what is best for HIM which is sometime the hardest, Im sure he thanks you.
Jeff - It was really hard. I still question how "unhappy" he was. He wasn't able to move around too much (could scoot around if motivated by food), so clearly his quality of life was highly diminished, but he didn't seem too terribly unhappy.

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
It hurts...The heartache, the void, the silence, the absence of fur...But there are memories, wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. There will never be another quite like him but there are so many out there that need a good, safe home and, in return, will give love, devotion and more great memories.
NC TRACKRAT - Very, very true words. Someday, I will be ready for another one. It will be some time before there is room in my heart for another.
Originally Posted by Nurburger
^ Very, very true trackrat.

So sorry for your loss Mark; Rudy looks as though he was an awesome friend & companion.

I absolutely dread the day.
He was incredible and hugely talented. Thanks, Nurburger.

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I feel your pain. I've gone through this a couple of times, and it is terrible. Our current Yorkshire Terror is 7, so hopefully we have some more good years together.

http://www.readprint.com/work-970/Th...udyard-Kipling
Bobby – Thanks for the Kipling poem. It helps.

Originally Posted by FisterD
So sorry Mark. He looks like a great Ol' boy and it looks like you had a great life with him. The memories you created together will last forever.
Darin, thanks. He brightened my day every day.

Originally Posted by batty
Mark, my sincerer and heartfelt condolences. Rudy looks like an amazing dog. The day I put my last German Shepherd down was the most agonizing day and then month of my life. Thirty days later I couldn't take it anymore and got another Shepherd from the WA German Shepherd rescue. That helped more than anything else possibly could. A few years later another dog, a Rhodie, wandered into my life. I couldn't be happier, but already dread and steel myself for the end of the line whenever it will come...

I agree with Trackrat, that there are so many wonderful dogs that need good homes, you will do yourself and the next dog a world of good when you are ready to take in another. Hang in there. You will always have Rudy in your heart!
Thanks, batty. I have saved all kinds of animals over the years (cats, dogs, birds, snakes) and love their sweet souls. I’ll have to go through my process. It’s so hard to believe that Rudy is gone from my life.

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Sounds like you and Rudy enjoyed a very rich 14 years. I'm sure he enjoyed it as much as you did.
Reddy – He was about five when I got him, so my time with him was almost ten years. It was a great run while it lasted but was all-too short.

Originally Posted by gonz911
My condolences.

I had 2 Jack Russell Terriers who were my dear buddies. My oldest was 13 and last September I had to put him down. I didn't know he was that sick. 4 months later my other pal, 11 years old also had to be put down.

Dogs give their unconditional love and in retrospect we have them for such a short time. I'm still not over losing them and as wimpy as it sounds, I grieved for days. Still hard for me to look at pictures.

All the best!
gonz – Grieving is not wimpy; it’s human. I don’t care if anyone knows that I cried a dozen times a day. I’m sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted by RJT
Mark I am so sorry to hear about Rudy. Your story brought tears to my eyes and memories of when Robert and I had to make that same decision in 1999 when we had to put our beloved Reka to sleep at the age of 16. It was totally unexpected and out of the blue. She went from being fine to not being able to breath in a weeks time. She had lung cancer. Having to let her go had such an effect on us we didn't get another dog for 6 years. We just couldn't. Then came Speedster and she is my total partner in crime. She is my Rudy. I'm hugging Speedster extra extra tight tonight. I don't know how I'll handle it when it's time to let her go. We came close to losing her last month (she was poisoned) but with lots of prayers and a great Vet she made it. I know that one day though, prayers and a great vet will not help .......

Hugs from me to you, and a Lick from Speedie too....

Here's a poem I really like and I hope it helps.

"In the Candle's Glow"

Warm light coming from far below,
Twinkling, sparkling is the candle's glow.
All is well up on the ridge,
The place we know as Rainbow Bridge.

Furbabies sleeping in heaven's light,
Tended by candles in the night.
Peaceful dreams be theirs to keep,
As they slumber in this night so deep.

Hearts on earth that miss them so,
Take comfort in the candle's glow.
Watching for them in skies above,
Bound eternally by a cord of love.

Laura Hickman
JoAnne, thanks. I know that you love dogs. I hope all is well with Speedster and that she made a full recovery. That poem is beautiful.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Mark, very sad to hear. It took several attempts to read through the entire thread. I kept looking at my two Jack Russell Terriers (Terrorists?), realizing that day will come. Dino is 10, Daisy is 6. "Pet?" I don't think so. Companion, protector, entertainer, but more than anything friend(s). They are ALWAYS happy to see you and their ideal world is to be at your side every moment. If only we as humans could show such devotion.
True words, Timothy, true words. My dog was like my kid to me.

Originally Posted by CarmG993
My condolences Mark.
My wife and I have been thru this as well. We had to put down Oz last September and Max passed in our arms a few years prior. Everyone knew them and asked for them daily. They were very well behaved. They will always be a part of us. Miss them so much ..........
Oz & Max
Carmen – Gorgeous dogs. Look like they were a lot of fun. My condolences to you. The pain is sparkling, I know.

Originally Posted by hpuck
Mark, I am so sorry for your loss. I am a vet as well as an animal caregiver - so I know and have experienced both sides of this painful time.

It is good to talk about him and to remember and celebrate the good times you have had. 14 years is a wonderful age to reach - he was lucky to have found someone who adored him too. Trying a cart and nursing a pet with Degenerative Myelopathy is an exercise of love.

You tried your best and Rudy knew it - and you were close to him comforting him right to the end.

Bill
Bill – Words from the front line. I was amazed that a dog his size lived as long as he did. I always watched what he ate and exercised him. I had to try everything I could to keep him around, even acupuncture, and when those measures failed, decided to let him go.

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Hey Mark,

Sorry to hear that. believe me, I feel your pain as I am going trough it right now.

My Vizsla Dog of 12 years, Hugo, developed Mast cell tumors on his rear leg 4 months ago. We have operated on him twice and it comes back more agressive and rapidly growing than before. The tumors have now spread and he is lumpy all over. He can barely walk now, as the mass is too big and can't be operated anymore.

But with all the pain and discomfort that he must be going trough, he still chases me around wherever I go, wags his tail happily when he hears my voice, and still has that same spark in his eye as the day that I took him when he was only 8 weeks old.

I just came back from the Vet. She said that there is nothing else that they can do and that I should consider putting him down. I know that this is something that I need to do in the next few days to stop his suffering and it is tearing my heart appart.

You did the right thing and you were there for Rudy when he needed you the most. I must do soon the same for Hugo. I keep looking in his eyes for a sign, anything that tells me that he had enough, and as much as it will hurt, I will be there for him and assure him that everything will be ok.

There is a strong bond that gets created between a dog and its "person". We like to think that we "adopt" a dog, but I really believe that they adopt us instead by allowing us into their wonderful world. The moments and that special bond that you share with Rudy, will be with you forever.

Hang in there buddy. Your Rudy sounds a lot like Hugo, and if there is an afterlife, I'm hoping that he finds him so they can play and run, free of all pains and discomforts. I'm sure they'll have a blast!
Sergio, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. It will not be easy, but your being there will mean the world to him. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
Mark. There is no way you could know this, but ever since my own dog attacked me for no known reason and then dropped dead many years ago, I have feared them. Imagine my chagrin when I came unexpected with Gappy to your home months ago and after you welcomed us in, I saw Rudy. I almost peed in my pants, but because you were so chilled about the whole thing, I decided to go with the flow. Rudy's temperament was an extension of your own. The kindness you showed to me was reflected in the trust you had in him that he would do the right thing and in the way he understood the social connection between us.
I too, have lost animals more dear to me than my connection to other humans and so share in your sense of loss. But I too, am confident that the love you felt for him is mirrored and celebrated in the way you treat other people.
The heart is a funny place: I believe in karma. The love you made is circulating within your own life. Rudy is a part of it still! You were instrumental in his progress: he, in yours!
My thoughts are with you!
Thanks for your words, pch. I had no idea. Rudy was never, ever aggressive with strangers; he just wanted to sniff them to see where they had been. I was always a big believer in having full control over Rudy. A well-behaved dog is a dog that would be welcomed everywhere . . . and he was.

Originally Posted by nile13
Mark, that is a beautiful dog and a beautiful eulogy.

I feel your pain. But I'm sure your life is better because Rudy had been part of it. That's how I think when remembering Cody, our golden retriever. The smell of wet fur and the feel of a wet nose always stay with you. And that's a good thing.
Mike, thanks. They were just musings from my brain. Wet fur and wet nose, yep, total sensory memories.

Originally Posted by tjangi
Mark- So sorry to hear about your loss. Any dog that can balance a treat on his snout and eat it on command is an extraordinary dog. Rest In Peace Rudy...
Thanks, Gappy. Rudy was amazing and could field treats that were tossed to him with an amazing casualness.

Originally Posted by nota_troll
Mark. You're Rudy looks exactly like my Gracie. They could be twins. Last year I too had to ease her pain.

I am sincerely sorry for your loss.
Marcus – Did you have a full-bred Dobie or a mix like Rudy? I’m so sorry for your loss. Care to post photos?

Originally Posted by Edward
Mark,

I know what you're going through. Had to do likewise a bit over a year ago to Harley ...an incredible dog and huge furry friend to my children. He was the best protector yet incredibly gentle and loving ...was my kids' guardian and friend for years. It was so very hard for me to see him go down, and then to see my childrens' grief ...the loss to us all cannot be described adequately in words. Hard, my friend. I know. Take heart, buddy. Keep posting pics, keep talking about him, and share him, his companionship, and what he meant to you whenever you see fit. It is how we cope, and very much a part of how we show our love, even when they are no longer with us. My best to you, my friend, during this trying time.

Ed
Edward, thanks, my friend. I’m sorry that you and your family had to put your pooch down. I still miss my childhood dog.

Originally Posted by skywachr
Mark, I'm so sorry that you had to experience such a loss of your friend. Rudy looked like quite a character. What a blessing to have experienced having such a faithful buddy.

Our Yogi is almost 12 1/2 and is definitely slowing down. It's such an inevtiable heartbreak but I wouldn't miss the experience for anything.
Tony, thank you. Rude had such a fun personality. I called him the silliest dog in the world.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Very sorry to hear Mark.

I went through this little over year ago and it is a VERY difficult decision to make but in the end, you did a favor to a dear friend who has given you so much during his life time.

R.I.P. Rudy.

"Life for dogs is short because they have so much love to give, it's like a candle , they burn brighter and better, but dont last as long"
Petu, you’re like the seventh person in this thread who put their dog down last year! What was it with 2009?? My sympathies to you.

Originally Posted by ballpeen
So sorry for your loss Mark. I had the unfortunate experience last year of having to put down two dogs within months of one another. Simply devastating. I think the worst part however was watching the behavior of a third remaining dog. The poor thing had no idea where his mates had gone. I feel your sorrow. I hope you can find some solace in the life you offered a rescue.
ballpeen – Another two went down last year? WTH? Terrible. How is the third one coping now?

Originally Posted by simpsoap
Mark - so sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine the pain of having to put down your "best friend". My dachshund is getting older and I too have thought about him not being around. It saddens me just to think of it. Your story of your memories and times together brought tears to my eyes. Looks like you guys created a lot of memories together!

Andy
Thanks, Andy. We did a lot together.

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
Mark, I'm so sad hearing about this. Rudy was a great dog. I don't know if I should tell my 10 year old daughter that Rudy passed away. She still remembers walking him around the paddock at Summit Point when she was 5. He was a little taller than her, but was gentle and never pulled or tried to lead. I remember how Rudy would stand at attention and wait until you returned from your run. The only time we ever heard him bark was when Tim played with that RC car and Rudy wasn't too happy about having something that fast running around the shop.

Cherish your memories.
Manny, thanks. I was going to post this on the racing board but hadn’t brought Rudy to the track in a while and wasn’t sure how relevant he would be to anyone over there. I remember Paige walking Rudy. He was superb with kids. The first couple of weeks that I had him I took him to Loch Raven. As he stood by the water’s edge sniffing the air, a bunch of kids came up to him, some of whom came from behind. I readied my leash in case he got startled, but they didn’t faze him at all. He was happy to be touched by kids and adults alike.

Originally Posted by John H
Mark,

I just saw this post and am deeply, deeply saddened by the news. My kids still talk about Rudy and they 7 and 4 when they met him at CMP. They will be praying for you and Rudy tonight as will I. My condolences, friend.
Thanks, my friend. You saw Rudy almost as much as Manny. I remember CMP and the sandy paddock like it was yesterday.
Originally Posted by chris walrod
Mark,

So sorry to hear this news I dont know what to say other than to keep your chin up and know that you clearly provided the greatest life for this dog!!!
Thanks, Chris. I did my best with him.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Rudy was a great companion. I feel your pain. So sorry.

That's the hardest thing with pets, they just don't live long enough.

Hang in there pal. The pain will pass.

Phil
Old 06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Mark, I'm truly sorry! I am in the same boat, my best friend has cancer, & only has a few months left, we have been trying to do so much with her. This really hit home, & I am feel your pain, & am sorry. At least you got 14 years! Looks like a great friend!!

We all know we will out live our pets, but we all think they will leave of old age, & not be taken from us, it SUCKS!!!
Stealth - Do you think you'll be there when your dog has to go? I liked the idea of the vet coming to the house rather than having it done at a place that wasn't his home. It also allowed some personal time after he had died. I wish you all of the strength you can summon.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tears came to my eyes as I read this. It's a very difficult time to go through. I had to carry my lab in to have this done and I too was sobbing. You never know how bad it can be until the end. Best wishes to you and a speedy recovery. Time is the only healer for this one.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Rudy was a great companion. I feel your pain. So sorry.

That's the hardest thing with pets, they just don't live long enough.

Hang in there pal. The pain will pass.

Phil
Thanks, Phil. Although tripling or quadrupling their lives might help, I think the pain would go up just as high.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Tears came to my eyes as I read this. It's a very difficult time to go through. I had to carry my lab in to have this done and I too was sobbing. You never know how bad it can be until the end. Best wishes to you and a speedy recovery. Time is the only healer for this one.
James, thanks. The days and weeks leading up to The Date were very somber. I didn't think I would have such a hard time with it, so clearly I was in denial.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Stealth - Do you think you'll be there when your dog has to go? I liked the idea of the vet coming to the house rather than having it done at a place that wasn't his home. It also allowed some personal time after he had died. I wish you all of the strength you can summon.
Mark, I will be there when it happens, but don't think it will be at home. She has been to the vet a lot, & she is comfortable there. Matter of fact we are heading there in a couple of hours. The house is going to feel mighty empty with out her around. I hope to have the strength to do it when the time comes.

My last dog that I put down was the same as you, right in my arms, that was back in 1996, it still hits me today. Seeing the life leave him, is just something you never forget. I am lucky to have a big support group, & as you it seams your buddy touched a few lives.

It sucks, & you will hurt for quite some time, but it IS the right choice, & sounds like he had a great life! You did the right thing, & things will get better!!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Quick Reply: OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep