OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Mark,
I echo many of the sentiments shared here, and hope that you allow all of the good memories to keep you buoyant in the weeks and months ahead. I was fortunate to interact with Rudy on numerous occasions and can say without reservation that he was indeed a very special dog.

Watching Rudy & Roxy sailing around the back yard was a joy - so elegant, and yet so silly at the same time!

He had a great life.

Andreas
Old 06-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
My condolences Mark. Really brought a tear to my eye. If it's any consolation, seeing friends (well, internet friends or whatever) go through this is a strong reminder to appreciate every minute we have with our pooches. So some good is coming from all this, even if it's just me spoiling our "p-dog" (Paige, a rescued greyhound) even more.
Thanks, Eric. I did the same thing whenever I read other ‘Listers’ tributes to their dogs.
Originally Posted by mac993
Mark- So sorry to hear this.... Your post has brought up a lot of emotion for me. Just 6 months ago I had to put my 8yr Boxer to sleep. Went to bed one night and everything was great, woke up the next morning and she wouldn't get out of bed. Unfortunately she had a very aggressive fast growing tumor on her spleen that we didn't know about. It burst that night and I had to put her to sleep. From normal and happy to gone in less then 12hrs... Absolutely broke my heart. One of the toughest things I've ever gone through. My heart goes out to you and your family. You/we are blessed to have these loving creatures in our lives and when the end comes it's always to quickly.
Dan – That’s terrible. No chance for a proper goodbye for anyone. My heart goes out to you and your pooch, too.
Originally Posted by Garth S
Mark,
As heart wrenching as this life experience is, you have done a great kindness for your friend: you have rich memories of of your years together .... and these last forever.

Over time, I have lost four Irish Setters and one German Wirehared Pointer (GWP) - the experience never gets easier, even though it is an integral part of life: we have 2 GWP's and two Gordon Setters now, and thought that Jaxx ( GWP) wouldn't make last winter, due to a failing rear suspension. He's still OK, once I started him on Meloxicam .... but the inevitable draws near ...

Being the dog lover you are, take some time and recommit to another dog .... you both will be the richer for it.
Garth, thanks. I will definitely get another dog at some point. I don’t want to fill the void with a new one just for the sake of filling the void. Rudy’s absence is surreal to me after nearly ten years together, so I’m just going to sit with that feeling.
Originally Posted by alpinadvl
Mark,

I am trying to think of what to write... as a dog owner, I have actively thought about how much I love my dog... and I also have imagined what it would be like if he were not around. It sounds like your relationship with your dog mirrors mine (and others here). And I got chocked up reading what you wrote even though I thought "no way" I was going to ...before reading the post.

As I am reflecting on everything, I am also thinking about my work in medicine, and how I have had to make life-ending decisions, and counsel patients to "let go" of their children, or significant others.... not easy. A couple of things cross my mind :

1. There is not a single doubt in my mind that you did ABSOLUTELY the RIGHT THING at ABSOULTELY the RIGHT TIME. Not one. I am not just saying that to make you "feel better". Because, what occurs (and I will go into it more in the next point) is that, had you kept holding on to him, this would have been more of a selfish thing to do, versus the selfless act you did.

2. you ended his suffering. You did this for him. And I know your dog would not want you to suffer because of that.

Lastly, this is the main thing I wanted to write to you :

3. It sounds like Rudy was VERY LUCKY to have a loving and caring owner such as yourself. It also sounds like you guys were a great team, and he responded to your affection with equal or more affection. It is great when 2 beings get 'in sync' and figure out each other and compliment each other.

The reason I right this... is that Rudy had been rejected by an un-understanding family... and he was lucky to get someone like you. I can just imagine how many things and how many fun adventures and care / love you provided for him. Your writing about him here is a testament to your thorough care for him.

So, I can understand your sadness and emptiness... but I do believe you should credit what you "did do" for him... he was one LUCKY DOG to have such a caring owner... and this... you provided for him. Up until the last moment.

I could not imagine a more appropriate end than being cradled and cared for delicately than having him in your arms. That takes a lot of courage to do.

Please feel free to post more pics of him.

He sounds like he was such a cool cool dog !
(by definition, any dog that likes to be around porsches is cool, right? )

ps: hang in there.... and take one day at a time....
Alf, thanks for the supporting words. My vet used to often say that Rudy and I had a special bond in the way that he used to look at me. She also used to comment that he just wanted to please me. If I had made him stay around longer, I think he would have lived on without too much complaint if only to please me, but I knew the right thing was to not allow him to keep on living a low quality of life.

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Sorry to hear your sad news... I'm up in Philly doing intense sales training for my new job and am just reading about this now on a laptop they gave me to use. Nothing like the unconditional love from an animal. Humans are so unreliable compared to our animals, I guess that's why we sometimes cry so hard when our pets pass.

For the first time in my life I was in the room when we put our animal down last year. I cried even though I tried so hard to hold it back. It was my wife's animal from before we even met. It meant everything to her. Slept with her under the covers every night. It was her baby... God that was sad when the life left her body after the needle was inserted in her.

Hang in there Mark...
Thanks, Steve. He was a very happy dog, and he always brought joy to my life.

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Mark,

I totally understand what you're going through! Last November, I was in your exact position having to make this decision for Toki (doggie on the left), my buddy of 15 years. He passed peacefully in his sleep at home the night before, saving me the anguish. I think he knew...
This photograph you may have seen before in related engine tray posts, always brings back a smile and a few tears. Toki was always with me on PCA tours, sitting on the folded down back seats of the 911 and 993.

Take time to grieve, remember the great times you spent together with Rudy and take care of yourself.

Regards,

Harlan and Casey
Harlan,

I definitely remember the engine tray sled. That’s amazing that Toki departed the day before. It was meant to be. Thanks for the support.
Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Well said.

Mark, this thread has been "there" in my head all day. The greeting I got when getting home from work this evening, though normal, felt really special. An extra-long round of frisbee in the backyard and a "special" dinner made me feel just as happy as them.

Remember the happy times.
Timothy,

Savor it, my friend, savor it.
Originally Posted by 99three
Very sorry Mark. I can't even think about how hard it is.
Thanks, Serf. The longing is still fresh.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Mark,
I echo many of the sentiments shared here, and hope that you allow all of the good memories to keep you buoyant in the weeks and months ahead. I was fortunate to interact with Rudy on numerous occasions and can say without reservation that he was indeed a very special dog.

Watching Rudy & Roxy sailing around the back yard was a joy - so elegant, and yet so silly at the same time!

He had a great life.

Andreas
Thanks, AOW. The memories are really bittersweet right now, and the ache in the gut still fresh. It was a riot to watch both of them tear around your yard.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,

My deepest sympathies.

I am in the same boat with Sadie my German Shepherd.

Sadie is 9yrs old. She also has Degenerative Myopathy. She was diagnosed about 4.5 yrs ago. The vet gave her 6 to 12 months then. My wife found a protocol being tried by by Dr. Clemmons http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm , have been doing this and it has given Sadie a lot longer than they gave her...

D.M is horrible. I hate it. I've had to watch it take my 95lb Shepherd from being a "machine" down to needing help from me to get around. I've got her wearing a harness to help with her rear. Unfortunately D.M. isn't just limited to the hind end and if the dog lives long enough it will work its way forward up the dog effecting the circulatory system as well as everything else...

Like MS in people there are good days and there are bad days. Sadie has had her share of both.

But now, the bad days are happening a lot more frequent with the DM and her time is growing short. My wife and I are now making the plans for when we need to make the decision that Sadie's fight is over. I was up all last night thinking about it. I'm grateful for every moment I have had with this dog. I've got a particular attachment to the GSD. I had one when I was a kid that we lost when I was 14 it took me a long time to get over it and get Sadie.

This dog has been my best friend. I take some joy in knowing that though now she is in her twilight, I was able to move her out of the 2 bed room town house my wife and I started in, to the large home with a huge fenced yard that we have now. We moved in the new place in October. I never thought she was going to make it this far...

Sadie has gotten to patrol the yard to the best of her ability while my 2 yr old son plays out side.

It isn't fair.
I'm angry.
Etc...

Again , my condolences.

-Karl
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

So sorry to hear about your lost.

My last dog buckwheat (terrier-poodle - looked like the dog on the scotch bottle) passed in 1995. Looking at her on the vets table, under oxygen etc, passing away was painful. I cried and sweared I would never own another, was just too paingful. My kids keep asking for a dog, but everytime I remember that day I say no. May eventually break down and get another. So for right now they have a cat, but it's not the same.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear Mark.

As quoted by Will Rogers "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very sorry to hear this Mark. I'm sure the memories are bittersweet but hope they somehow bring a smile to your face at this time.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stumbled upon your post & couldn't stop reading. Unfortunately the pain is always there, it just hides most of the time.

I wish you a gentle & steady recovery from your grief Mark. I was a real mess after my Basset Hound's time came last summer...was exactly a year ago that we brought him home from emergency surgery and found out he had advanced lymphoma. 6 weeks later he was gone.

RIP Rudy, and RIP Winston:
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Mark;
Sorry to hear. We lost an excellent friend four years ago now, and reading this brings it all back. You'll move on, but you'll always remember, as you should.
I wish you peace.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear this Mark. My condolences. I know how hard this is.
chuck
Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I've been in your shoes twice in the past 18 months. Think of the good times you both shared. You were both fortunate to have eachother and will meet up again someday at the Rainbow Bridge.

Mike and Parker----/
/
/
<-------------------
Old 06-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I avoided looking at this thread for a while now because I knew it would be sad. But I finally did read your first post.

He lived a good life. 14-15 years is a long time. You provided him with love, affection, and a nice home. He was grateful for every day.

There's a big void right now, and that's truly the hardest part. Try to focus on Rudy, and keep reminding yourself that he had a great life.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had to put my buddy Hugo down today due to cancer. He fought hard but I knew he had enough.

I found this poem. I'm sure his pain is now over. Mine is just starting... Life just sucks sometimes.

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
Attached Images    
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

OH GOD!! Now I'm in tears again.

I am so sorry to hear about Hugo.

You are right, life sucks sometimes..... It really really SUCKS.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 380 Posts

Mark,

I am sure you appreciate the out pouring of support here, I know I would too.

I had a number of dogs as a kid, but never remember a bond like I have to our current dog... Phoenix... aka French Fry... aka Square.

Many of us know, or will know, what you are going through.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep