Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Mark, sorry to hear this. It is a blessed dog "parent" who can spot the latent talent and develop it like you did. I saved your pic with the bacon treat on the nose.

I have a 4 yr old F JRT and a 9 yr old M Staffordshire. The JRT is my constant companion and will do play time at the drop of a ball. Your post made me think how each moment is precious.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Dear Mark,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I've had dogs growing up and they were always family to me. It's never easy to say goodbye. My heartfelt condolences Mark. Time will heal the pain and leave wonderful memories behind.

Regards,
Louis
Old 06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark,
I am so sorry to read this. I have been there far too many times with previous canine friends. I hug on my 6year old Westie and nearly lose it just thinking what awaits me several years down the road.
No dog is ever replaceable, but somewhere in the future there's another friend that will come into your heart, don't let anyone tell you 'It's too soon" or "do it now" or anything. Only you know what is the right thing for you.
My thoughts are with you.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Mark, I will be there when it happens, but don't think it will be at home. She has been to the vet a lot, & she is comfortable there. Matter of fact we are heading there in a couple of hours. The house is going to feel mighty empty with out her around. I hope to have the strength to do it when the time comes.

My last dog that I put down was the same as you, right in my arms, that was back in 1996, it still hits me today. Seeing the life leave him, is just something you never forget. I am lucky to have a big support group, & as you it seams your buddy touched a few lives.

It sucks, & you will hurt for quite some time, but it IS the right choice, & sounds like he had a great life! You did the right thing, & things will get better!!
Stealth, I wish you the best today. You, your family and your dog will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sad, sad day for you. I hope the blackness is not unbearable.
Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Mark, sorry to hear this. It is a blessed dog "parent" who can spot the latent talent and develop it like you did. I saved your pic with the bacon treat on the nose.

I have a 4 yr old F JRT and a 9 yr old M Staffordshire. The JRT is my constant companion and will do play time at the drop of a ball. Your post made me think how each moment is precious.
Thank you, Terry. Glad Rudy's photo lives on someone else's hard drive.

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Dear Mark,

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I've had dogs growing up and they were always family to me. It's never easy to say goodbye. My heartfelt condolences Mark. Time will heal the pain and leave wonderful memories behind.

Regards,
Louis
I appreciate it, Louis. I hope to get a full night's sleep and not wake up in the middle of the night thinking of him.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Mark,
I am so sorry to read this. I have been there far too many times with previous canine friends. I hug on my 6year old Westie and nearly lose it just thinking what awaits me several years down the road.
No dog is ever replaceable, but somewhere in the future there's another friend that will come into your heart, don't let anyone tell you 'It's too soon" or "do it now" or anything. Only you know what is the right thing for you.
My thoughts are with you.
Thanks, Dave. You're totally right; only I can know when I'm ready. Rudy was actually in the truck the time I met you to pick up those Dunlop tires. I was driving back from the CMP race.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
I too lost my dog "Wasnum" (um, short for whatzisname) to the ravages of degenerative myelopathy almost three years ago. He was a rescue dog - Big, beautiful, dopey Shepherd/Great Dane mix who scared the living heck out of mail carriers and UPS drivers but wouldn't have hurt a fly. We had him for ten short years and he was every bit as loved and appreciated as Rudy was!
It was really hard to watch him start to gradually lose the strength in his back legs, so I know what you and Rudy went through too well. I'm sorry. Your post brought it all back for me.

The good news is you'll never forget Rudy. He had a really good run. Your grief will heal (mostly) but he will be with you in that place in your subconscious mind where the good stuff sits. The stuff that makes you smile when you are waiting in line at the grocery store or washing your car, or getting lectured by a traffic revenue agent. Lucky for us, dogs don't ever really leave their owners.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Davies
Mark,
I too lost my dog "Wasnum" (um, short for whatzisname) to the ravages of degenerative myelopathy almost three years ago. He was a rescue dog - Big, beautiful, dopey Shepherd/Great Dane mix who scared the living heck out of mail carriers and UPS drivers but wouldn't have hurt a fly. We had him for ten short years and he was every bit as loved and appreciated as Rudy was!
It was really hard to watch him start to gradually lose the strength in his back legs, so I know what you and Rudy went through too well. I'm sorry. Your post brought it all back for me.

The good news is you'll never forget Rudy. He had a really good run. Your grief will heal (mostly) but he will be with you in that place in your subconscious mind where the good stuff sits. The stuff that makes you smile when you are waiting in line at the grocery store or washing your car, or getting lectured by a traffic revenue agent. Lucky for us, dogs don't ever really leave their owners.
Thanks, Matt. It was heart-breaking to see him fall over as he tried to walk and even worse when he would drag his butt, legs sideways, in the last couple of weeks. Thanks for your empathy.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

My condolences Mark. Really brought a tear to my eye. If it's any consolation, seeing friends (well, internet friends or whatever) go through this is a strong reminder to appreciate every minute we have with our pooches. So some good is coming from all this, even if it's just me spoiling our "p-dog" (Paige, a rescued greyhound) even more.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mark- So sorry to hear this.... Your post has brought up a lot of emotion for me. Just 6 months ago I had to put my 8yr Boxer to sleep. Went to bed one night and everything was great, woke up the next morning and she wouldn't get out of bed. Unfortunately she had a very aggressive fast growing tumor on her spleen that we didn't know about. It burst that night and I had to put her to sleep. From normal and happy to gone in less then 12hrs... Absolutely broke my heart. One of the toughest things I've ever gone through. My heart goes out to you and your family. You/we are blessed to have these loving creatures in our lives and when the end comes it's always to quickly.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Mark,
As heart wrenching as this life experience is, you have done a great kindness for your friend: you have rich memories of of your years together .... and these last forever.

Over time, I have lost four Irish Setters and one German Wirehared Pointer (GWP) - the experience never gets easier, even though it is an integral part of life: we have 2 GWP's and two Gordon Setters now, and thought that Jaxx ( GWP) wouldn't make last winter, due to a failing rear suspension. He's still OK, once I started him on Meloxicam .... but the inevitable draws near ...

Being the dog lover you are, take some time and recommit to another dog .... you both will be the richer for it.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark,

I am trying to think of what to write... as a dog owner, I have actively thought about how much I love my dog... and I also have imagined what it would be like if he were not around. It sounds like your relationship with your dog mirrors mine (and others here). And I got chocked up reading what you wrote even though I thought "no way" I was going to ...before reading the post.

As I am reflecting on everything, I am also thinking about my work in medicine, and how I have had to make life-ending decisions, and counsel patients to "let go" of their children, or significant others.... not easy. A couple of things cross my mind :

1. There is not a single doubt in my mind that you did ABSOLUTELY the RIGHT THING at ABSOULTELY the RIGHT TIME. Not one. I am not just saying that to make you "feel better". Because, what occurs (and I will go into it more in the next point) is that, had you kept holding on to him, this would have been more of a selfish thing to do, versus the selfless act you did.

2. you ended his suffering. You did this for him. And I know your dog would not want you to suffer because of that.

Lastly, this is the main thing I wanted to write to you :

3. It sounds like Rudy was VERY LUCKY to have a loving and caring owner such as yourself. It also sounds like you guys were a great team, and he responded to your affection with equal or more affection. It is great when 2 beings get 'in sync' and figure out each other and compliment each other.

The reason I right this... is that Rudy had been rejected by an un-understanding family... and he was lucky to get someone like you. I can just imagine how many things and how many fun adventures and care / love you provided for him. Your writing about him here is a testament to your thorough care for him.

So, I can understand your sadness and emptiness... but I do believe you should credit what you "did do" for him... he was one LUCKY DOG to have such a caring owner... and this... you provided for him. Up until the last moment.

I could not imagine a more appropriate end than being cradled and cared for delicately than having him in your arms. That takes a lot of courage to do.

Please feel free to post more pics of him.

He sounds like he was such a cool cool dog !
(by definition, any dog that likes to be around porsches is cool, right? )

ps: hang in there.... and take one day at a time....
Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Sorry to hear your sad news... I'm up in Philly doing intense sales training for my new job and am just reading about this now on a laptop they gave me to use. Nothing like the unconditional love from an animal. Humans are so unreliable compared to our animals, I guess that's why we sometimes cry so hard when our pets pass.

For the first time in my life I was in the room when we put our animal down last year. I cried even though I tried so hard to hold it back. It was my wife's animal from before we even met. It meant everything to her. Slept with her under the covers every night. It was her baby... God that was sad when the life left her body after the needle was inserted in her.

Hang in there Mark...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:07 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark,

I totally understand what you're going through! Last November, I was in your exact position having to make this decision for Toki (doggie on the left), my buddy of 15 years. He passed peacefully in his sleep at home the night before, saving me the anguish. I think he knew...
This photograph you may have seen before in related engine tray posts, always brings back a smile and a few tears. Toki was always with me on PCA tours, sitting on the folded down back seats of the 911 and 993.

Take time to grieve, remember the great times you spent together with Rudy and take care of yourself.

Regards,

Harlan and Casey
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
seeing friends (well, internet friends or whatever) go through this is a strong reminder to appreciate every minute we have with our pooches.
Well said.

Mark, this thread has been "there" in my head all day. The greeting I got when getting home from work this evening, though normal, felt really special. An extra-long round of frisbee in the backyard and a "special" dinner made me feel just as happy as them.

Remember the happy times.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:25 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very sorry Mark. I can't even think about how hard it is.

Quick Reply: OT - For the animal lovers: put my dog to sleep