993 Forum 1995-1998

RS door panels installed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Looks great!, does you garage door opener work down there?
That's where I have mine - it fits perfectly between my switch panel and lower dash. And works a treat!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you re-use the original speakers or use an aftermarket? If so what brand and how do you like the sound?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:08 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Aftermarket speakers. They are Polk coaxial. they don't sound great. The car has 0 bass now. Not sure how to remedy this. I wonder if there is a nice upgrade to the rear speakers that give some more low end.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Polks coaxial along with the RS door panel. Difference is that I mounted the speaker on the outside like normal. Still not much base until I sealed the air in the RS door panel with 1/4 inch weather stripping seal along the edge of the door panel and along the circumference of the speaker. It helped a great deal with the bass, but not perfect.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

you sealed along the outside edge of the panel? My speaker is sitting in the door. not sure I can seal it at all..
Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
you sealed along the outside edge of the panel? My speaker is sitting in the door. not sure I can seal it at all..

Yes, I sealed along the outside edge of the panel AND around where the speaker fit into the RS panel. Given your set up , I don't think there is anything you can do. To get bass, you have to separate the air between the front and back side of the speaker.

All that work went to waste as I installed my DachX cat and LMPP muffler. What a glorious howl at full throttle. Don't listen to the radio anymore.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:51 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

I'm glad you did the rs door panels too...

As for the tunes, It seems hard to find this balance of good stereo sounds
and lightweight interiors...

I too have zero storage!.. I have my reg. and ins. papers under the floor mat...
Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
dont get them wet.. they will warp bad.. (basically, dont drive in the rain with them.) I have the same ones..

C.
Don't drive in the rain with RS door panels? I've driven with mine through all sort of rain including running at the track in the rain with the windows down with zero issues.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
.... with zero issues.
Well, I dunno what tell you.. you may have had "zero issues" so far, but I had quite a few.. first off, The ones I have made by AppBiz are made of cardboard.. (well, cardstock, like what you use as mattboard) Mine got wet somehow and now have warped along the bottom edge.. this, along with the issue that the friction-fit for the switches have elongated the rectangle cut in the cardboard so the switches are kinda loose; these things SUCK! they are just low on the list of items to replace, but i'll get there sometime soon- I'll replace them with a composite board, maybe a honeycomb PE sheet or something else impervious to water..

C/
Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

The OE panels I removed would be quickly destroyed if exposed to water. the water barrier behnd the panels is critical. If you remove it, cut it, etc, you will get water there if not repaired or replaced. When in place properly, its virtually impossible for rain water to get there.

The simple 4 mil sheet of plastic is standard procedure on most cars. (think leather door panels, etc would be destroyed by moisture). The panels could be made out of anything really.

Spartan.
I covet your car. Please sell it to me. Please?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,797 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
Some proper leather Recaro Polo Positions would be good for a few pounds I imagine.. I removed the passenger seat to mount the fire extinguisher. That seat weighs a ton.

I wonder if fixed seats/roll bar equate to stock seats/no bar in terms of weight.
My 12-way, heated, supple leather seats weighed in at 78lbs each. PPs with brackets should be around 30lbs each. That could be around 90lbs for both sides depending on how heavy your seats are. A half cage should be in the 40lb range.

A lot of the weight savings from deleting the rear seats will actually be the seat belt mechanism and carpet if you go RS. The RSD storage box is very heavy so I would skip it. I would try to retrofit an SC/Carrera glove box instead. I'm sure someone has done it and it shouldn't add too much weight.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:22 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

I'm going to ditch the rear seats once i figure out how to deal with the carpet. Belts are already gone. My interest in weight savings isn't going to push me to building a race car. But if i can cut a few pounds and still keep in comfy, you bet I'll try.

The RSD idea is out the window.

I think the next major effort will be a set of Recaro's upholstered in leather/alcantara. I think a net loss of 100lb or so would be great.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:41 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,797 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I understand. I love your car and I'm happy to play "enabler" and help push you down the slope a little further in making this a proper RS tribute.

The carpet is going to be the key. Tough to match the color but replacing it will keep it clean after the rear seats are gone. It will also add a little more engine volume to the cabin which is nice. Looking forward to the next phase.

PS - If you buy Spartan's Nogaro beast, can I get first dibs on yours?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
Well, I dunno what tell you.. you may have had "zero issues" so far, but I had quite a few.. first off, The ones I have made by AppBiz are made of cardboard.. (well, cardstock, like what you use as mattboard) Mine got wet somehow and now have warped along the bottom edge.. this, along with the issue that the friction-fit for the switches have elongated the rectangle cut in the cardboard so the switches are kinda loose; these things SUCK! they are just low on the list of items to replace, but i'll get there sometime soon- I'll replace them with a composite board, maybe a honeycomb PE sheet or something else impervious to water..

C/
I've got the factory ones and they are also cardboard of some sort of cheap paper board. The will tear very easily. No issues so far. Maybe your issue is that water is getting to it? Mabye a poor door seal?

If you replace it just get the CF ones from Marcus
Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
fredcalero
Racer

Default RS panel

did mine last night. I like them.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: RS door panels installed...