Mods, upgrades, reasoning and value

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Mods, upgrades, reasoning and value

Based on discussion in another topic I wanted to make this possibly a separate thread. My thought is that absolute majority of common mods are of no relation to performance of the car. Some are for comfort, some are for the sake of "customizing" a given car. So the big question is - how does one decide at the end of teh day whether this was a good upgrade and whether it was worth the money, i.e. whether it represents enough of a value for what was spent on it.

One more thing - I think tires and suspension are the only _needed_ mods. With suspension being distant second for a street-only car.

I'll go ahead and list what I have in the current car and what I think (others are welcome to jump in, critique, etc).

- Aluminum shifter, e-brake lever, *****, door pulls, instrument surrounds. All by previous owner. Fairly useless bling, but it was there.

Red powder coated calipers. By PO. OK. Looks a bit nicer than faded black. Doesn't affect anything.

- 18" wheels. Previous owner. I still prefer 17s, but now have 3 sets of 18s and winter set of 17s. On the fence on that due to better availability of tires in 18" sizes.

- Steering rack brace. Previous owner. Needed. Good.

- Aluminum pedals. Me. Leftovers from previous 993. Wanted a dead pedal, got a set, install them all, they fit the rest of bling. OK. Dead pedal is good to have for autocrossing.

- Underbumper protector. Me. Leftover from previous 993. Hopefully would help not to further scratch the bumper. OK.

- Strut tower brace. Me. Helps a little with cowl creak in a cab. Not much else. Under carpet, low bling factor. OK.

- Focal speakers upfront. Me. Better than dead Nokias, better than PO's Kenwoods. Coupled with JVC head and Fosgate amp by PO. OK, but you can't make 993 cab sound all that good. Nor should you, probably.

- Bilsteins + M030s, M030 swaybars, Walrod bushings. Me. Pretty obvious and needed.

- Golden rod and Weltmeister short shift kit. Me. Nice to have, crisper shifts. typical of what we are discussing here. For better feel and enjoyment, not for speed or anything else.

- Heated 996 Sports hardback seats with crest, no less. Me. Don't care about anything other than "heated" part. Enjoy it tremendously in a cab. Needed. Good. A little extra support is a bit of a nice bonus. Scheming to install an inflatable lumbar from an E38, stay tuned.

Recovered 3-spoke steering wheel. Me. Really enjoy the perforated leather and shaved thumbrests. Much better feel than 4-spoke or OEM 3-spoke. Just what the doctor ordered.

- LPMM mufflers. Me. They were cheap. Not sure they are right for a daily car, but hey, tried them. Sound better than stock at idle and WOT. Oh, PO drilled the airbox too.

- GIAC chip. Upcoming.

PS. As we can see here, several "mods" were needed, several lead to more comfort and enjoyment, several were meh and could have been avoided. I think the chip will be in the second category for me, but this is all fairly personal.

PPS. Dragging GF to autocrosses and making her drive street-tire 993 with me last year. Priceless. Her hitting timing lights with the back of a 993 in a slow looping spin... Not as priceless.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:04 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
So the big question is - how does one decide at the end of the day whether this was a good upgrade and whether it was worth the money.
I wouldn't call them "up-grades", just some useful additions. They're useful and hardly cost me anything; that makes them very good bang for the buck.

A/C Adjuster Lock-Nut Mod - to make removal of the A/C belt possible when having to change an alternator or cooling fan belt roadside...made it myself.

Engine Lid Back-Up Cable Release - since my 993 didn't have one and I didn't like Porsche's solution...made it myself.

On-Board Voltmeter - so that I can monitor my charging system...made it myself.

Other than the RSR mufflers that came with my 993, my car is original & stock. The RSRs sounds nice, but can wear thin on longer drives, so I now have a set of un-modified OEM mufflers that I will be installing in the future. Do the RSRs increase performance and reduce weight? As with most if not all aftermarket/modified mufflers, I highly doubt it. Performance increases can only be measured and not by the seat of the pants.

Last edited by IXLR8; 01-28-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added RSR muffler info.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

My motto has been that mods needs to make the car stop better, handle better, or go faster. I'm not into bling and don't think I've ever added anything to my 993 simply for the bling factor. Luckily my 993 was ordered up with over $24k in options so the bling was already there when I bought it like painted calipers (Speed Yellow), yellow seatbelts, CF/aluminum shifter and e-brake handle, aerokit, 18" hollow spokes, M030, rear seat delete, hifi, etc.

I've added:

PSS10s - makes the car handle better
RS LWF - reduce weight and lets engine spin up faster
RSR mufflers - reduce weight and sound better than stock
RS shifter and FD Golden Rod - car shifts like it should have from the factory - feels better on the track
RS pulley - reduce complication of multiple belts and less drag on engine
RS motor mounts - better shifting action, less engine saging
21mm Ruf rear sway bar - makes car handle better
Recaro SRD seats - holds me in place better and makes me feel more one with the car, reduced weight over stock seats (and I can still tilt them to gain access to the rear)
CG Lock - holds me in the seat better (I don't have harnesses yet)
ERP front camber plates - only way to dial in -2.5 camber - makes car handle better for me
PerfectPower front strut brace - besides Ruf and GT2 bars, only bar without movable joints - may make car handle better
Open airbox mod - took a stock air box lid I bought for $25 and cut the top off of it - I like the induction noise out on the track
Da'lan trailer hitch - So I can haul my SouthSport trailer to the track

And for the track only:
Michelin Pilot Sport Cups - makes the car stick like glue to the track
Hawk HT-10s - makes the car stop on a dime on the track

I may be forgetting a few things. But if I am none of them were for bling factor. Would like to add Das Sport roll bar and harnesses someday.

Last edited by Van1; 01-28-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: forgot to add some goodies
Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Van, the point of my post is to have a discussion and maybe for others to take inventory of the mods they've done and ask themselves why they've done them. So... let's start here. Do you feel that short shifter/Golden rod, airbox or the strut brace fit under the three stated goals (speed, braking, handling)? I think they are more in "I like how they feel" category.

BTW, I have Dynauto (I think) brace - no moving joints. Single piece of aluminum.

Regarding the bar - I had to take the bar out of my autocross appliance for weight considerations. It was _really- difficult to get used to driving without shoulder harnesses again. I think you'll really like using a full harness once you put the bar in.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Ok, I'll bite! In no particular order:

Euro M030 springs, Bilstein HD shocks, thicker sways - stock shocks were leaking, car needed to be lowered, so this was an obvious improvement for a street car with some novice level track use.

Supercups - wanted a louder exhaust. Mission accomplished. Notwithstanding the drone at low-mid RPM, I like the sound - especially on track. People following me hate it. They are quite a bit lighter than stock. No other performance improvement discernible nor expected.

Leather RS door panels and Radio Delete - Refer to Supercups above. Radio was redundant. Figured why not drop the heavy door panels, speakers and radio. Looks good to me, and saves weight. Tidies up the interior.

RS short shifter and Golden Rod - definitley improves shifter precision. I would say the car "performs" better on that basis.

Pagid yellow RS29 - holy moly, no comparison on the track. Functional, if noisy, on the street. Refer to Supercups above.

RS wing, side skirts, splitters, Euro bumper and amber corners - I did it for the looks. And I did not enjoy the grindy, auto-extending spoiler. I have no illusions about performance enhancement, since I don't get much above 120mph at the local track, and then, only briefly. I think this is a great aesthetic mod, but expensive when you factor the cost of parts fitting and paint.

Euro leather GT3 seats - great performance on a dual purpose street and track car. They look good in a street car and make a huge difference on track. The stock seats are scary in that regard.

6 point harnesses, DAS roll bar and HANS - again, performance. Hope I never get to "enjoy" the performance they offer, but you never know.

BBS E88's - good, strong wheels. Probably the best money can buy for the track. But when you see they are BBS gold, you can call me out for pimping my ride...

RS heater blower bypass, small Raid Daytona SW, RS strut brace - a combination of lighter, better feeling, stiffer. All good.

LWF and clutch, WEVO mounts currently being installed. We'll see.

Overall, I've been happy with how things have turned out. Every enthusiast will eventually evolve their car to suit their ideal of "perfect". That's a lot of the fun!

Best,

Matt
Attached Images  

Last edited by Matt Lane; 01-28-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Van, the point of my post is to have a discussion and maybe for others to take inventory of the mods they've done and ask themselves why they've done them. So... let's start here. Do you feel that short shifter/Golden rod, airbox or the strut brace fit under the three stated goals (speed, braking, handling)? I think they are more in "I like how they feel" category.

BTW, I have Dynauto (I think) brace - no moving joints. Single piece of aluminum.

Regarding the bar - I had to take the bar out of my autocross appliance for weight considerations. It was _really- difficult to get used to driving without shoulder harnesses again. I think you'll really like using a full harness once you put the bar in.
I'll admit that the airbox mod is purely a "I like the sound it makes" kind of mod. It only cost me $25 and 5 min with a jig saw while my stock Motorsound lid is tucked safely away in a box. The front strut bar may or may not be worth the $275 I spent on it. I wasn't **** enough to get lap data before and after so it's probably a "it feels better" mod. But it is a nice piece of underhood jewelery. I think that the RS shifter and Golden Rod is a bit more than a "I like the way it feels" mod. The shifting action is much more precise out on the track. I feel less likely to do a miss shift or a "money shift" as was the case from my E36 M3 days. Probably a "I like the way it feels" mod, but definitely worth it. Didn't cost much to do.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:53 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default These cars don't need upgrades

Some of the changes I have made, in order of appearance, with cost and opinion of value:

FDM stage II mufflers with cermachrome ($600) Worth every penny, 1st mod thanks to Rennlist,

Ipod adapter mounted in bird armrest for pos JVC headunit that was in the car($20) Good enough

Rennline pedals (Xmas present, thanks Mom, were $180) Love Them, highly recommend

3rd brake light LED ($30) Huge improvement over missing teeth

LED interior/underhood bulbs ($20) Huge Improvement

Walrod gauge trim rings ($70) Good Bling! I would do it on every 993

Garage door opener in extra ! switch ($5) Gotta love ebay

Carbon/Aluminum shift **** ($140) Good enough, but I wouldn't give the $275 or more they normally cost

Techart CF/Leather steering wheel ($75) Ebay deal, waiting for 3 spoke

Walrod LCA bushings ($100) Best Value upgrade

Used PSS9’s with adjustable rear drop links ($1300) Good Deal, better than new HDs IMO

FDM Goldenrod shift link ($155) Must do upgrade, good value

RS motor mounts w/ hardware($360) Must do, but overpriced IMO

Schnell strut brace ($110) Price choice, I don't think it is needed but OK for the price

RS heater fan bypass ($195) I like it but spendy for a plastic tube

Motorsound airbox cover ($40) Yep, ebay value

Clear corners ($60?) Knock off's until I delete the ettes, OK for the price

Silver hood crest ($100) I like it, I would use Geo's DIY if I did it again

FDM stainless steel brake lines ($95) Great quality

FPB (used, can't remember less than $100) Its off right now, kinda undecided

Black aluminum inside door handles ($15 only bidder on ebay) OK, wouldn't spend more than I did

Aluminum Leather Brake handle ($195?) Nice but overpriced, even on a Rennlist deal

Lloyds Floor Mats ($125?) Excellent value (on sale at FD)

LWF ($800) Love-Hate this mod
Parts and pieces for LWF ($300) probably didn't need most of it

Turbo Kraft Trans Mount ($150) Great Value, just not for a street car IMO, in Canadia now

911 Chips by Steve Wong ($375) OK, great on top end, lacking down low

19mm rear turbo ARB ($50) Hope this is good, just installed

Steering rack brace ($17) I got a steal from Ebay, glad I didn't pay more for a new one

Modified front shift rod ($30) Just did it but it feels good so far

RS front splitters from GT3Tek (I can't find my receipt? $395?) OK value, more prep than I planned for

MA Shaw RS rear spoiler ($350) Good deal but not quite finished yet, lots of prep, it is going on a spare decklid that I gave around $150 for the complete lid but took other parts from it.

EDIT: forgot about wheels, 4 sets , The RS-GT's are so light they make a difference in driving feel, otherwise 17s of varying configuration are fine.

I am sure there are more that I missed and none of what I consider maintenance is included. Not too many regrets so far but I try to be patient and wait for deals. It is just a car, non are really "needed" but I like to tinker with it.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:48 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

993 Turbo (Technology) Hollow Spokes | After having tried regular spokes for a short while I can honestly say that I can't tell the difference, but still pretty cool. Low value.

New Stoneguards (OEM) | Not installed yet, but an original pair are very expensive. Low value.

Pioneer 172PRS 2-component reference speakers | Not fitted yet, but I have demoed them in my car and it was a huge improvement. Going to add an Alpine PDX-F4 if possible. Install next week. Very expensive, but I hope it's worth it.

Turbo bumper, Europe | Came with the car, but it's one of the mods I would have done first.

993 Hardback Sportseats | WAY overpriced on the current market, but still amazing and on the top of my list if I had to re-mod another 993.

RSR Mufflers from Carnewal | One of my first upgrades. Amazing value when you do the part-exchange. Haven't tried or heard fisters but to me it is the RSRs sound perfect and just like a 911 should. Planning to install Carnewals 200 Cell Sportscats within few weeks (also part exchange).

Becker Cascade Pro 7941 w. 160GB iPod Classic | Great Upgrade over the CDR21. Almost made my factory speakers sound decent. 2011 Navi is very good. Connects with my iPhone 4S via Bluetooth and reuses the factory installed mic. Perfect setup!

TomTom iPhone Car Cradle (mount) w. build-in GPS antenna-booster | Great value. Perfect replacement for the Nokia phone dock my car came fitted with, even uses the same mount-holes. Hardwired powersupply makes it look stock, and iPhone navigation apps gets great reception inside the car when the phone is sitting in the dock.

LLoyds Mats w. Carrera S Script from FD | Great value.

GPS Tracker | I love that I can track the cars every move, nice sense of security.

3-Spoke | One of my favorite mods. Improves the looks of the interior and has a much better grip and feel than the 4-spoke.

Black-leather gear selector | Trickiest upgrade because the Alu-lever was glued on (from factory). I'm not a fan of alu bits in the interior and I like the 'new' leather feel.

Carrera S script | PO had debaged my car. Installation was super tricky but worth it.

Console Tray | Replaced the Tape Deck that got comments everytime people got in the car. Great value.

New Headlight lenses (Factory Xenon) |*Very very high value... it's a subtle upgrade, yet it instantly catches your eye. Love the xenon, better visibility that I had in my 986.

Turbo S Scoops w. LED lights | Medium value. I like the original non-amber look too though.

Key Kit from Carnewal | Low value. I actually prefer the clumsy remote.

Clear turn signal + red tail lights |*High value. De-ambering the car is my favorite exterior mod.

New Hood Crest | Medium value. Mine had a tiny dent/mark that I couldn't live with, easy install.

New seals for interior tach's | Mine had become dull so new fresh rubber freshened things up a bit

Rattle Rope for windshield | High value and easy install! Killed off all rattles.

Motorsound (factory installed) + BMC Air Filter |*Medium value. Made a nice difference to the sound.

PSS10 | AWESOME w. new bushings, stabilizator ect... best upgrade PERIOD. Makes the car feel so great and far better handling.

Red Calibers (painted) | Nice, but I personally paid far too much for that paint job. Medium value.

New window-rubberseals, sunroof seal | Cheap and nice value to freshen up the dull exterior rubber parts. Medium value.

Black tint on top part of windshield | Cheap, and looks better than the blue-tone in my opinion. High value.

Door sills w. script | Great cosmetic upgrade. High value.

---

Planned upgrades:
- Replace right window motor | Very expensive part and not a DIY for me
- 200-Cell sports cat | Cheap'ish with part exhcange from Carnewal. Looking forward to experience the performance gains.
- Remap at CarTronic in Germany | Price unknown.
- Strut-bar (below carpet) | Have read many contradicting opinions about these, so maybe this thread will help me make up my mind.
- Alu pedals (black anodized) | I think these look rather cool: http://www.srpracing.com/pd_993.cfm
- Respray | Expensive, but very tempting.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

OK Mike, I'll play.

Bilstien HDs w/ m030 springs and turbo sways. Lowered car to where the designers intended and stiffened it up. Definitely worth the $$$ and made the car feel more planted. Also got a more aggressive alignment from EPE that I'm sure contributed to the feel. Causes the CD's to skip on some rough roads.

Front strut bar. Can't say I noticed improvement, but makes sense from a geometry viewpoint.

Wevo engine mounts. I felt the difference in the drive train. Could have been just worn out stock mounts.

Walrod bushings and pinned tie rod ends. Steers like a go cart now and no more vague vibration at 50-60 mph

Drilled the air box for that "go fast" sound. Strictly in the ear of the beholder.

Silver hood crest. Looks nice with the black and chrome

The wifey drives this car at DE events and it does very well. Hoping to get her in the 911 this year to keep the cab for street driving only, but until then-

Last edited by Deadeye; 01-30-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-29-2012, 12:00 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok here we go

On my CAB
- Euro turbo front bumper - pure looks but love it
- full leather interior upgrade wit upper and lower dashboard, door panes and center console - pure looks but love it
- 993 hardback sport seats painted in exterior color - pure looks but love it
- rear seat delete unit - expansive but looks clean and good when travel
- full leather 996 steering wheel - love the full grip and the looks
- Becker radio CDR 220 with iPod connection and modified face plate - very nice and clean upgrade with factory looks - any time again
- stereo upgrade from Car Audio Innovations which looks completely stock - again great sound now with factory looks - worth the money spent
- black powder coated MY02 rims - ligth, clean and good looking - anytime again
- yellow break caliber to match the other car ;-) - cosmetics ....
- black exhaust tips - cosmetics...
- silver Porsche sign on front hood - cosmetics...
- Bilstein HD suspension with M030 springs and sways - very good upgrade which changed the driving experience - anytime again
- RS motor mounts - good upgrade for the money - feels stifter in turns
- LWF clutch upgrade - costly but very good upgrade - did it when my clutch was dead
- Porsche motor sound mufflers including air-filter - just playing - would go today with some Fister ....
- OEM Litronics - great upgrade but costly - tried to keep the car EU compliant as we may will go back one day - otherwise would always go with the cheap solution
- Rear bumperette deleted - love the looks

That's the CAB. Now the C4S is another story ....

Jack

Last edited by tropheus; 01-29-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I modded my cab with LWF, suspension, stereo, and wheels/tires, not much else (a few little things). LWF was installed when the motor was pulled and new clutch going, so only extra cost was for he part itself. Completely changed the feel of the engine. Suspension not necessary in the literal sense, but made the car feel like it handled better. The stereo was for my ears and wheels for my eyes. Not sorry I did any of it.

When looking for my coupe, I was particular about mods. The POs of the c4s do quiet a few things, most which I would NEVER pay for myself but am happy are there: blingly pedals, red seatbelts, euro turn singals, and the like. Do nothing for the car other than make it slightly different. PO also put on S-Car go muffler, something I would never consider paying for, yet I found I love the sound. Very happy he spent his money on that!

PO also did things I would have done myself: suspension and LWF.

And I did things I wanted: 996 sport seats and steering wheel (moved from cab) and stereo upgrade.

And I took off things by POs, notably turbo S wing (for sale!). Since I was doing that, I put on an S grill and painted it body color -- another thing I would never normally do, but since I was putting on a grill and painting it....
Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM
p993t
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to write in english.
DIY 3 stop led.
DIY hifi upgrade: 16,5 cm woofer, 5 cm midw, tweeter, 4 amps, pioneer dex&deq, sub 20cm in box rear my seat, nokia sound panels, cables for all speakers.
interiors in grey/blue (leather).
996 turbo leather/carbon steering wheel with leather airbag.
DIY (work in progress) carbon interior.
DIY xenon.
DIY conversion of tiptronic steering wheel for hifi controls (i've manual transmission)
DiY sport air filter
DIY fix light bulbs on central console with leds
DIY ipod connection
i tryed to repair light OBC but nothing to do (MY96)
18" turbolook, 17" cup 2
other works..
...next..
i think pss9 or 10
Old 01-29-2012, 03:34 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deadeye
OK Mike, I'll play...
....Skipped all that silliness and bought a beast of a race car 'Nuff said
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

....Skipped all that silliness and bought a beast of a race car 'Nuff said
Skipped the slippery slope & jumped right off the cliff. No regrets!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Here we go on my C4SAll the following upgrades came with the car and therefore are "great value" because I got them for almost paying nothing extra. This is the best way to buy mods ...

- PSS9, RS sway bars and drop links (money well spend if car is moved closer to its limits)
- Rothsport custom short ratio Gearbox, RS clutch and RS flywheel (Hallelujah!)
- GIAC chip (essential to cure the stall with LWF)
- RS muffler (love the sound)
- 996 3 spoke
- RS strut brace

I added over the last 2.5 years:
- Euro GT3 seats, Schroth 6 pt harness, HANS and DAS rollbar (mandatory investment if car is taken to the track -> safety is always good investment)
- OS Gyken LSD (good value and lasts when used on track, recommended by Steve Weiner)
- RS scoops to replace foglights (got OEMs for cheap on the bay)
- Walrod bushings (almost mandatory)
- HID lights (best bang for the buck upgrade)

Last edited by e9stibi; 01-30-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Mods, upgrades, reasoning and value