Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Are the engine shrouds necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 AM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are the engine shrouds necessary?

Hi all, I just purchased my first p-car 2 weeks ago ( 95 993 black on black coupe 100k km's ) and would like to say that this forum is an amazing source of information I am a millwright by trade and love doing my own maintenance , after purchasing the car I realized that several things needed to be fixed ( valve cover gaskets, wires, sparkplugs.. etc ) my question is in regard to the side engine shrouds/ guards , necessary ? do they help with cooling or protect from elements...., why ??
These cars kick serious @!! , I am in LOVE, at age 30 I finally got here!!!! and I'm never leaving!
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new car. I think I've seen discussion here about "engine trays" which I guess is the same thing, but not sure. Do a search and see what you come up with.

I would never dare take my engine tray off, lest the bottom of my engine get splashed upon or damaged in some way.

dave
Old 06-12-2010, 11:26 AM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

thanks Dave, But I am wondering about the guards that bolt up tight to the engine ( they separate the upper and lower halves ,between the valve covers ) driver side is a P.I.T.A to remove .

also there are many here that remove the engine tray in favour of cooling, have any of you suffered engine damage W/O the tray?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was being a smart *** about the engine tray. Hope you don't mind.

Actually, I spun off into some grass years ago without the tray on and got a ding on the heater box. The engine tray would've protected that. I put it back on a while back for whatever it's worth; don't know if it helps or hurts for real. Here's something strange: I sealed up the engine during a recent tranny job so there are no leaks whatsoever. When the car warms up, the tray gets wet with oil, but only because it's seeping out of the pores of the tray. when it cools off again, the tray becomes cool to the touch. No dripping on the ground ever either.

I've heard that guard referred to as the engine tin, if it helps with a search. I agree it sucks to take off. Never heard of anyone leaving it off before. Interested to hear responses.

dave
Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arcteryxbird
thanks Dave, But I am wondering about the guards that bolt up tight to the engine ( they separate the upper and lower halves ,between the valve covers ) driver side is a P.I.T.A to remove .

also there are many here that remove the engine tray in favour of cooling, have any of you suffered engine damage W/O the tray?
No expert here, but I'm thinking the "engine tins" are primarily in place for housekeeping. Outside the engine compartment (exposed to the elements) vs inside the engine compartment. I could also see how they may shield some of the heat from the exhaust and keep it out of the inside engine compartment.....

I think most folks leave the engine tins in place.

Loose the engine tray. Lots of threads on this issue.

Bob-
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

With the early cars, the seal between the engine tin and body were critical in that by sealing all sources of airflow other than the grill(s) on the decklid it enabled the cooling fan to pull cold air into the engine compartment via the grill(s), direct it as efficiently as possible into the shroud and across the cooling fins on the cylinders, and out the bottom of the engine compartment. I would say that with our cars, even though the fan is much more advanced and efficient, the same principle applies...I can understand the concern the engine tray causes (Yes, mine is off), but I wouldn't think it would be wise to remove other tin that channeled air for cooling over the cylinders.

With regard to the tin's purpose being to separate the interior of the engine compartment from the elements, I don't think that's an issue given the big whopping hole in the top of the decklid and the fact that in almost all road cars, it is possible to looking into the engine compartment and see the ground. I'd say that the tin is for cooling more than anything else.

Terry
Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

The side tins work a lot like an aviation oil/air cooled motor in a plane. They keep the hot side from the cool side. You want to keep them.

They keep the exhaust temps from the intake. Cooler the air through the intake the better.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The black steel engine tin is VERY critical. Without all the front, side and rear pieces in place (as well as the rubber gasket that attaches to the body) these engine will run far too hot.

JMHO, but the plastic undertray should be thrown in the garbage, based on personal experiences,...
Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
The black steel engine tin is VERY critical. Without all the front, side and rear pieces in place (as well as the rubber gasket that attaches to the body) these engine will run far too hot.
Thanks Steve, thought you might weigh in on this topic.

Bob-
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

JMHO, but the plastic undertray should be thrown in the garbage, based on personal experiences,...
Words to live by
Old 06-12-2010, 03:38 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Thank you all very much for your vast amount of knowledge , what a great website !
Porsche owners are a tight bunch
CHEERS
Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just VERY critical? I'm sure you've also seen more than one 914-6 conversion go (almost literally) up in smoke because the sheetmetal was too "expensive" to bother with............

Also, could you clarify your position on the undertray??????
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I will mention one big downside to not running with an engine tray, but my lack of mechanical expertise may belie any shot at a good explanation:

I ran without one. Those heater flapper boxes drooped a little without it, and my car is lowered.

Backing out of a driveway one night, the edge of the box caught on the driveway and came off and was broken in the process. When it broke off, it also put a little dimple in one of my oil return tubes.

I couldn't run the heater until I got the flapper box put back on and Porsche parts aren't cheap!

Needless to say, I now run it with my engine tray back on.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Just VERY critical? I'm sure you've also seen more than one 914-6 conversion go (almost literally) up in smoke because the sheetmetal was too "expensive" to bother with............
Its difficult to properly express how important those components are in words. Body language, hand gestures, eye contact, vocal octave range changes and of course, correct profanity are all more effective methods of communication on critical issues that may have an negative impact on someones pocketbook.

Also, could you clarify your position on the undertray??????
Certainly. IMHO, they serve no purpose aside from reducing the drive-by noise signature of the car and thats why they were installed. Based on what I've observed, cars that retain these things suffer more oil leaks and higher levels of guide wear due to higher cylinder head temps. Its important to note that this doesn't always show on the oil temp guage.

Porsche got along very nicely without that undertray for many years ('65-'89) and many of those engines went well beyond 200K with good cooling. 964's and 993's have the capability to exhibit the same longevity as long as they run cool.

Hope that helped,
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Certainly. IMHO, they serve no purpose aside from reducing the drive-by noise signature of the car and thats why they were installed. Based on what I've observed, cars that retain these things suffer more oil leaks and higher levels of guide wear due to higher cylinder head temps. Its important to note that this doesn't always show on the oil temp guage.

Porsche got along very nicely without that undertray for many years ('65-'89) and many of those engines went well beyond 200K with good cooling. 964's and 993's have the capability to exhibit the same longevity as long as they run cool.

Hope that helped,
I guess I needed to use the "smiley thing" (which I NEVER use)............... But maybe I'm in a weird mood today as I went and looked at an '05 Boxster today. For mid-teens I'm figuring I can't go wrong for a beater/driver.

Quick Reply: Are the engine shrouds necessary?