Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT- Safe, cheap, reliable, fun commuter sedan suggestions under $15K

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT- Safe, cheap, reliable, fun commuter sedan suggestions under $15K

I originally bought my '03 Corolla to do the unglamorous duty of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic 21 miles each way to LA and back every day. Now I drive it only 7 miles and leave it at an outdoor Park and Ride (with questionable security) then take an express bus. At this point, I would like my 7 mile ride to be a little more enjoyable. I would also put my 1 and 3 year old kids in this car fairly often. Here are the other priorities in descending order:

1) high safety rating
2) 4 door
3) high reliability
4) fun to drive: manual transmission
5) MPG not too critical. 14 mile round trip.

Due to the sketchy parking situation I don't want anything that attracts too much attention, so I think Civic is out (gangster-tuners love 'em). I've been studying the IIHS safety ratings: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/tsp_archive.html They seem to favor cars that have traction/stability control and side airbags, which tend to be '06 and newer. Taking all this into consideration, here's what I've got:

- '06-'08 VW Jetta 2.5, probably CPO. VW quality is said to be OK now.
- '06-'08 Subaru Impreza 2.5i. '08 was re-designed as softer and less distinctive
- '04-'07 Saab 9-3. Saabs are hard to find here and 5spd manual is almost impossible!

Any thoughts or experience with any of these would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by dcdude; 06-14-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,849 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Before even clicking on your thread I thought to myself "2.5 Jetta". Excellent car for the money. The engine is very torquey and sounds fantastic with just an intake. Safe, reliable (quality is better than ok), fun and fuel efficient, not to mention good looking and very spacious. $15k should buy you a low-mile, high-option 06/07 example.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:51 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of the three you listed, I'd go for the Jetta but go with the turbo instead.

But, you don't indicate your budget so there may be other things out there that we might suggest. Also, are you hung up on warranty or would an older car do, like an E36 M3?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Audi A3 2.0T (one of the best motors Audi/VW have produced)..... my DD. Its chipped, has Bilstein coilovers, 18" OZ ultraleggera's and only cost $13K for an '06. Price was lower due to the higher mileage at approx 72K. Fantastic motor, fuel efficient (I average 25mpg even with spirited driving), one of the best interiors in the sector IMO, a great manual transmission plus its a 4DR and has plenty of carrying space. Love it.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:05 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subaru WRX wagon. I love that car.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,849 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Audi A3 2.0T (one of the best motors Audi/VW have produced)..... my DD. Its chipped, has Bilstein coilovers, 18" OZ ultraleggera's and only cost $13K for an '06. Price was lower due to the higher mileage at approx 72K. Fantastic motor, fuel efficient (I average 25mpg even with spirited driving), one of the best interiors in the sector IMO, a great manual transmission plus its a 4DR and has plenty of carrying space. Love it.
+1. I had an Audi A4 2.0T Titanium edition with manual transmission. Fantastic engine and with chip, exhaust and intake I got 270HP and 330TQ. I didn't know you could buy an A3 for that now but if you can, that would be the way to go.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
A3 is now on the list. It's also on the IIHS "safe" list. Love Audi interiors, but who doesn't? As far as BMWs go, a 325 E46 fits in the $14K budget. I used to have one and loved it. No warranty at this point, but I should certainly consider it again. NHTSA said they crash OK.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The PO had APR flash the ECU with 89, 91 and 93 octane maps. I'm running the latter and its supposed to have 250HP (+50HP over stock) and 300 torques. Thing pulls like a steam train once the turbo kicks in (I'm sure the lightweight rims help a lot too). Not much turbo lag on the 2.0 motor I'm happy to report. I found my car advertised on VWVortex last Dec.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM
jhale
Pro

I have an '06 Volvo V70R wagon with a few "extras" and it meets all of your requirements: volvo safety (bank vault), 4 doors +, reliability (proven engine), fund to drive (mine is chipped, 340hp, 6sp avail), better mpg than 14mpg . If you want to tone down the wagon aspect, you can get the same car in a sedan S60R.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

If you're willing to forgo 4 doors and Toyota/Honda reliability, a Mini Cooper S makes a fun commuter. There's plenty of space in the back for young kids.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before clicking I was thinking you were doing a further parody of that video posted a few days ago where the character is looking for this vehicle description!

I used to have an impreza (2 actually). They are fun to drive and very reliable. But would be a little tight for your kids in their car seats (at least our 2000 was - apparently they have increased the rear seat room)... depending on how tall you are and how big your car seats are.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Konrad
Intermediate

Along with the A3, I'd look at a 4-door 06-07 VW GTI. They're very practical haulers with the back seats up or down and fun to drive. I haven't looked at prices in a while, but I figure they have to be close to your budget.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by YA911Fan
If you're willing to forgo 4 doors and Toyota/Honda reliability, a Mini Cooper S makes a fun commuter. There's plenty of space in the back for young kids.
I agree! Life is just too short to drive boring cars. 2005 or 2006 MCS have the best gearing. Some come with LSD. You'll wake up every morning saying "Let's Motor!"
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I don't think the car exists.

It's a tough one. Somewhere there will have to be a compromise on one or more of the traits you want. All the suggestions so far are decent, but there's still something wrong with each one. The S60R suggestion isn't a bad one, and yes, the motor is tough but the Haldex AWD is not (think: angle gear.) Plus the car can slowly nickel and dime you to death. They are also harder to find, so less choice.

If I had the answer, I'd be driving it myself.

p.s., in respect to the safety thing: IIHS, et al, use traction control and side airbags as part of their rating criteria. But you should consider side airbags as 'standard' now anyway. And traction control, too. So that means (to me) that those things aren't something 'special' to consider; they are a must.

Traction control keeps your mistakes (and bad weather) at a minimum, but the structural build of the car (plus multiple airbags and proper sturdy seating) is what I'd be looking at. That puts you in the very latest cars and the heavier ones, too.

imho, your kids' safety is paramount over your fun. And you listed that as your priority. Forget what you want to drive and get a tank. You have the 993 for the personal indulgence.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 PM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Konrad
Along with the A3, I'd look at a 4-door 06-07 VW GTI. They're very practical haulers with the back seats up or down and fun to drive. I haven't looked at prices in a while, but I figure they have to be close to your budget.
ditto

Quick Reply: OT- Safe, cheap, reliable, fun commuter sedan suggestions under $15K