You can beat a Lexus!
Awesome Freudian slip...
Old 06-14-2010, 12:15 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche70T
Acura TSX 2004-05. A real nice all around DD.
Have to agree. I have an '04 as my DD. Just enough power and I get 24 mpg in town.

chuck
Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jnicol
Loved my Impreza, but do yourself a favor and try the carseats in before you buy. Was ok for my wife, but I was kissing the windshield with a child behind the driver.
Thanks for reminding me (twice) about the car seats...I can be a little dense. Maybe the slightly bloated '08 Impreza deserves the focus? Conversely, the last Saab I drove had really good longitudinal interior space. No love for the Saab 9-3 here?

- Lexus GS has no manual trans.
- E36 M3 is an amazing machine, but lacks modern safety features.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 AM
castorjs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 WRX limited totally stock as a DD and it is a blast drive and the gas mileage is decent. Maintenance is relatively low and it will easily keep up with any 993.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:33 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also say Subaru Outback....it would double as a beater weekend camping/fishing car.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At least you are not looking at mustangs anymore:-)

If you want japanese, the 04-08 acura TL is hard to beat. A much much better car than the TSX. Very fast and fairly roomy inside. I recommend you test drive one.

The subaru outback is good car, but you will get so bored very fast! The WRX would be more fun.

I get back from HKG tomorrow. Let's go car shopping. I'm also looking for another car:-)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TLs are great under warrenty. Check the used car reviews. Tranny issues and poor overally reliability.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by David in LA
I would also say Subaru Outback....it would double as a beater weekend camping/fishing car.
Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
The subaru outback is good car, but you will get so bored very fast! The WRX would be more fun.
Mustang was an "as well as" idea. This car would be "instead of" Corolla. I've already got a wagon. Legacy is the less-ugly sedan version of the Outback. Apparently the Legacy GT has a 245(?) HP engine, which may be the same as WRX without the boy racer looks. Also has more space in the rear seat. We're getting warmer here. All the Subies seem to be in Utah, so we may have a heck of a road trip, Johan!

What I like best of all is a deal, so I may just need to act quickly on whatever someone is giving away amongst today's group of: Legacy, Jetta 2.5, E46 and Saab 9-3.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

A Volkswagen MY05.5 to present Jetta A5 sedan body. 2.5 or 1.9 TDI. Auto or manual gearbox. 5 Star safety rating car.

All that said is I own a MY2006.5 Jetta TDI which is ridiculously optioned to the hilt. Don’t get me wrong it’s still a VW however a nice commuter car that I’d ordered new. The 1.9 diesel w/DSG gearbox allows for your right foot to have fun with the torque. It's no speed demon however the torque is always there ready to scoot. Ours has heated leather memory seats/mirrors, DVD Navi w/ a super duper HiFi mit CD changer and Sat radio etc. The HVAC dual auto climate control is one of the best, Interior lighting package, Smart wipers, 1 touch electric windows all around, Glass sunroof, Electric rear window shade, Airbags galore. etc..etc. And a host of other VW equipment not normally found in its product group. Our TDI is all stock basically.
:: Add the VW DriversGear Eibach lowering springs, 17” GTI wheels with Michelin sneakers, up rated Pagid brake pads and way you go with an under the radar low investment commuter car that’s easy to own and fun to drive. O did I mention the trunk is huge..

The MY05 thru 09 model Subi Outback XT (XT = 2.5l turbo slightly detuned WRX version motor, 250hp/250 FT LBS. Tuning comes in at 280hp/290 FT LBS.) was mentioned as a commuter car option: thirsty (-20mpg) for premium fuel is all I can say; we own one. Check out www.legacygt.com in the Outback section where at long last our XT Outback was fitted with a Japanese domestic market sourced Bilstein BTS suspension kit. Makes the Outback XT closer to a Audi A4 wagon than the crummy commuter car chassis that it is. The Bilstein spring/strut kit transforms the Outback while maintaining the classic Outback signature raised ride height.
The brakes totally suck on the Subi Outback chassis’s…. buyer beware… and the route to up rating the brakes isn’t that straight forward on the Outback series. I’m just saying.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 06-15-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I love the Mazda 3 that we got...in fact, you suggested it. so back at ya!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Chris L
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Conversely, the last Saab I drove had really good longitudinal interior space. No love for the Saab 9-3 here?
Love, love, love the 9-5 Aero. Have an '02 and am looking for another '04 or '05 with vented sport seats. Easy to work on and phenomenal value.

Chris.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 80 Posts

2004-5 BMW 545 with a ton of miles. Great looking fun car and for 15K you can get one.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Reliable? Super nice car? I'd forget about a preowned 545i, MB 01 E55, older E46, etc. Maintenance could really add up on a German car. Japanese cars are usually A LOT less on maintenance. My buddy buys and sells Saabs. He does like them and they can be had pretty cheap.

My wife chose this and adores this car. It's got all the goodies and instead of $51k, they're now down to $15k with some miles on them (2005's)

I'd get the black interior but here's a beige one...

Top of the line Acura for the price of a used Civic

It has everything.

Nice detail

Decent size bac seat, wider than the TL

Pretty big trunk

All the goodies AND AWD! Yahooo

Acceptable looking wheels
Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 AM
dcdude
Drifting

No thanks on the RL, GS, LS, Q, 7, S or Volvo.

All great values used, indeed, but manual trans is a mandatory.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude
No thanks on the RL, GS, LS, Q, 7, S or Volvo.

All great values used, indeed, but manual trans is a mandatory.
fwiw, the Volvo that somebody already posted about (V70R wagon or the S60R sedan) is absolutely available in a manual tranny. Fun to drive, fast, and safe. And comfortable. Pretty much a cult car especially in certain color combos. Only caveat are the issues that I mentioned in my earlier post. Otherwise worth a look if you can find one. It's a much better driver's car than the Saab, imho. Except that they are closer to $23k for a clean one. But still a lot of car for that price.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

Quick Reply: OT- Safe, cheap, reliable, fun commuter sedan suggestions under $15K