993 Forum 1995-1998

Fresh air servo removal help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Robert-VanBC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh air servo removal help

I would like to remove the servo under the hood (next to the firewall) that controls the fresh air flap. I have disconnected the electrical plug, undone the screws but HTF do you get the servo motor itself out? Thanks in advance to all for your help.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It's not hard, just pull it up & out, but it's still tethered to the fresh air flap. It is just a metal J shaped hook, you kind of turn the servo on it's side to undo the arm. It is a PITA, but really the hard part is connecting the new on up to the arm.

If the servo is bad, & you have a new one, you can brake the plastic arm on the servo, & that would be easy.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 243 Posts

I just pulled mine out, breaking off the servo arm. Remember to disconnect the metal rod first as described in the post above.
Insertion of the new servo can be tricky, the arm may be in a position that makes it difficult to slide the servo onto the metal bracket fastener. If so, connect the plug and maneuver the CCU controls to move the arm to a better angle before insertion.
It's also possible to slightly bend down the aft lip of the metal bracket to ease the insertion.
Regards,
Tore
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Robert-VanBC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys!!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Remove Fresh air Servo

I know this is too late for the OP, but if others find this in search it may help.

No need to break anything to remove it...(if it is in the closed position.)

Some info first: The fresh air servo is the center servo. I just took this out and here are some notes from my '95 coupe. All directions are based on looking at the servo from the front of the car. You need a couple of screw drivers, flash light, magnetic pick up for dropped screws, t20? torx bit.

Before you start pulling stuff apart, comfirm that the servo doesn't work. With the car running, Try the upper and lower slide controls, see the arms on the left and right servos move? good. Turn on and off the AC (recir buttons) see the center arm appear and disappear? No? Ok that's the fresh air servo problem. If both the AC buttons are OFF, then the fresh air vent should open and the arm should not be visable. When the air vent is closed the arm is visable.

Brian Smith (BS911) has written a ton of REALLY helpful stuff to get me here. Do a search, but I think this info is summarized here: http://p-car.com/diy/acdiag.html

Mine failed in the closed position and it is possible to see the servo arm and the rod to the fresh air flap. The arm points to the front of the car when fresh air vent is closed. The rod can be disengaged with a small screw driver, pop the "L shaped" rod down. After removing the two screws and the electrical connector, it "may" be possible to slide the servo to the right (as you look at it from the nose of the car) and tip the rear of the servo up and forward. IF the servo failed in the open poistion you will not see the servo arm and will have to try the steps below.

If you can't wiggle the servo out, you have to do what I did. Look at how the servo mounts to the car, there is a metal plate with some torx screws (3). One of the mounting screws(left) is easy to see and remove, the center is hidden behind the servo and the right is buried under the right servo. bummer.

You have to remove the right servo first. Pop off the rod from the servo arm, take note of the plastic collar alignment as you will have to align the fresh air collar later. See the notch in the plastic collar that allows the arm to fully seat?
Remove the 2 torx screws behind the right servo. Pull the servo up and rotate it to the right to allow access to the torx screw under it.

Remove the right screw from the center servo mount. Pull the fresh air servo and mount out.

Repair the servo. I used this excellent resource http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/servos.htm
In my case the electrical pins had cold solder joints, the wipers looked good. Cleaned the contracts and reassembled the servo. I reassembled the servo so the arm is rotated to the front of the car. That is the only way you will be able to reconnect the fresh air flapper rod. I also took a marker and marked the reverse side of the white collar where the notch is. This allows you to "see" to make alignement easier.

Test the repaired servo before you reinstall. just plug it into the car. work the recir control.
Leave the button in the AC mode (fresh air flap closed) so the electrics tell the arm to stay in the forward position. If your servo doesn't look like this maybe you indexed the arm wrong when reassembled? I didn't have this problem.

Installation is reverse of the above.

When you get to the point where you are going to reconnect the rod to the arm allign your mark with the rod and take a screw driver and pop the rod up into the arm.
When you reinstall the right servo mount make sure you align the metal plate into the plastic slots on the car, then reintstall the 2 torx screws and pop the rod back into the arm.

Hope this helps someone... I got my servo fixed and it cost $0!!! I think it took me longer to write this up than it did to remove the servo!

Added note: when you use the AC button the system is automatically put into recir mode. you could also turn off the AC and just use the recir button..

Last edited by DanQ; 08-31-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added note
Old 08-28-2010, 10:33 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting DanQ, very helpful. Pretty sure my fresh air servo has died, planning to dig into this tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Fresh air servo removal help