Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wanna see what a 15 years old non-update engine harness look like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Consider yourself a lucky one. Anyone who searches will see posts and pics from 8-9 years ago when EJ was pushing to get Porsche to acknowledge the problem and issue a recall/TSB. There were some scary pics...and the harness from my MY93 was also in pretty bad shape and the car was shorting/running rough, especially in heavy rains.
Yep....this is what made me wanting to change it myself.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axl911
Yep....this is what made me wanting to change it myself.

Yep...there should be a link to this pic for the other thread where someone asked whether a fire extinguisher is needed.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same discovery on my 95 cab some weeks ago... luckily the harness lasted 15 years until that point in time. Not cheap to replace either.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Priceless
I purchased my 1st porsche 2 weeks ago. It is a 1996 993 with 32,000 miles. I purchased it from a local colleague (doctor). he was the 3rd owner and bought it in 2002. Do you know if the 1996 had harness problems also? I guess I should ask him if he knows if this had been changed. thanks in advance. BTW, I LUV MY NEW CAR/MISTRESS :-)

Rodney
Call a dealer or Porsche customer service. They will look up the VIN and see if they paid to have it replaced. It would be part of the service record. If not set up appointment with dealer to have the recall done. They want to see the car before they order a new harness. If a previous owner did the work, Porsche wouldn't "know" about it.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 AM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniPalermo
I had the same discovery on my 95 cab some weeks ago... luckily the harness lasted 15 years until that point in time. Not cheap to replace either.
It should have been free. I had mine done last fall as part of the recall.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LUCAS smoke?

Does everyone kn ow why the English drink warm beer?

The have Lucas refrigerators!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Originally Posted by black ice
Okay, you got me. what is Lucas smoke????

dave

Not available in California.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

Doe anybody know what the recall bulletin number was for this?
Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the connecting post re my question about needing extinguishers! Man that is ugly. I was told the harness problem was strictly limited to the 95's. Is that NOT true?
Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
Doe anybody know what the recall bulletin number was for this?
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...g-harness.html
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
Thanks for the connecting post re my question about needing extinguishers! Man that is ugly. I was told the harness problem was strictly limited to the 95's. Is that NOT true?
AFAIK its an issue with 95s and some 96s in the U.S. and with 94s and 95s in RoW. There is also an issue that there was some confusion over the part numbers of the new part vs. old and IIRC a handful of repairs that wound up using the old part number.

I also did not mean to imply that the 928s had a wiring harness problem. Generally fires happen in cars more often then the manufacturers let on, only if it gets seriously bad do they issue a recall or announcement. The 993 wire harness was a know issue among Porsche mechanics for many years, and it took the effort of rennlister EJ and others for Porsche to finally admit the issue. Other Porsches have had issues with gas lines and power steering fluid, and there have been a few posts reporting electrical shorts and fires. Also don't forget the possibility of aftermarket electronics shorting out.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp

The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics

Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start

Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

Copied from another site:

Description
Have you inadvertantly let the smoke out of the wires on your classic British car? This, then, is the solution to your problem!

Here is presented for your perusal one Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke kit, P/N 530433, along with the very rare Churchill Tool 18G548BS adapter tube and metering valve. These kits were supplied surreptitiously to Lucas factory technicians as a trouble-shooting and repair aid for the rectification of chronic electrical problems on a plethora of British cars. The smoke is metered, through the fuse box, into the circuit which has released it's original smoke until the leak is located and repaired. The affected circuit is then rectified and the replacement smoke re-introduced. An advantage over the cheap repro smoke kits currently available is the exceptionally rare Churchill metering valve and fuse box adapter. It enables the intrepid and highly skilled British Car Technician to meter the precise amount of genuine Lucas smoke required by the circuit.

Unlike the cheap, far-eastern replacement DIYsmoke offered by the "usual suppliers", this kit includes a filter to ensure that all the smoke is of consistent size, It has been our experience in our shop that the reproduction Tiawanese smoke is often "lumpy", which will cause excessive resistance in our finely-engineered British harnesses and components. This is often the cause of failure in the repro electrical parts currently available, causing much consternation and misplaced cursing of the big three suppliers.

These kits have long been the secret weapon of the "Ultimate Authorities" in the trade, and this may be the last one available. Be forewarned, though, that it is not applicable to any British vehicle built after the discontinuing of bullet connectors, so you Range Rover types are still on your own...

This Genuine Factory Authorised kit contains enough smoke to recharge the entire window circuit on a 420 Jaguar, and my dear friend and advisor George Wolf of British Auto Specialty assures me that he can replace ALL the smoke in a W&F Barrett All-Weather Invalid Car(147 CC) with enough left over to test a whole box of Wind-Tone horns for escaped smoke. How much more of an endorsement do you need?

More, you say? Well, I once let the smoke out of the overdrive wiring on my friend Roger Hankey's TR3B, and was able to drive over 200 miles home from The Roadster Factory Summer Party by carefully introducing smoke into the failed circuit WITHOUT even properly repairing the leak. Another friend, Richard Stephenson, was able to repair the cooling fan circuit of his Series 1 E-type by merely replacing a fuse and injecting a small quantity of smoke back into the wires. So there!

So, if you're troubled by lost smoke, bid early and bid often! Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How can I find out if this was taken care of on my '95?
I just bought the car this month and don't have a full set of records.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fünfer
How can I find out if this was taken care of on my '95?
I just bought the car this month and don't have a full set of records.
Call your dealer with your VIN and ask or call 1.800.Porsche and ask them. They'll have the records.

Quick Reply: Wanna see what a 15 years old non-update engine harness look like?