Sponsored by:

Carseats - The definative list

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the posts.
Don't forget to post seats that have not fit also; such information can be just as useful as seat that did fit.
--Joe
Old 05-20-2010, 05:46 AM
01coccobet
Racer

nice spot!

and very usefull too

tx
Old 05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Note that the Britax Roundabout is forward facing and therefore appropriate for kids 1 year of age and 25 lbs (don't quote me- I think that is the minimum weight). I know others have put rear facing seats in their 993s, but I couldn't figure it out.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but 1 yr / 20 lbs is the LEGAL minimum, not by any means the safe minimum. Check out www.thecarseatlady.org or www.carseatdata.org for some vids. Short version is keep your child in the progression as long as possible according to the seat. By that I mean if the car seat can be rear facing up to 2 years or 30 lbs, then by all means try to go that long. If you can do forward facing without switching to booster, for 40" or 40 lbs, then do that. Each step "up" in sitting more "normally" is actually a step down in safety. There is a reason flight attendants sit rear facing with a four point harness on a plane.

Also, there is a version of the Roundabout that includes more side impact protection. Since it is by the head, it doesn't seem to affect install width. Worth the extra $. The 993 seats were probably $3000 or so each of the purchase cost. Don't scrimp on one for your kid.

Finally, does anyone know about removing the base? I'd be concerned about the top heavy nature of a loaded car seat pivoting forward without the lever the base provides. In other words, in an accident, the base probably provides extra stability to prevent the seat from pivoting around the mounting points. I wonder if removing it is safe. Not saying it isn't, just saying I don't know, and any safety tests done on the seat would have been with the base installed. Curious what peeps think...I haven't tried that yet.

FWIW, I have a 95 cab, use the BK mounts AND the three point (since I haven't figured out the tether mounting in a cab), front facing (son is 3.5 yrs, about 30 lbs (little guy)), Britax Diplomat (slightly smaller version of the Roundabout but has side impact protection, good to 40" or 40 lbs). It sits relatively far forward in the seat, but fits snugly.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 429 Posts

I have a Britax "Starriser" which has an adjustable width base and fits perfectly into the back seat of a 993.

If anybody is interested, make an offer. I bought it in early 2005 shortly after I bought my 993 for $110 (if memory serves). It's clean (the cover has been laundered) and doesnt look too used. I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10. The back section has actually never been used and has sat on a shelf in my garage the entire time I've had it.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried my Cosco Scenara and found the base to be too large to provide good support on the front edge of the seat. I added a Mighty Tite, which makes things better, but I still wasn't 100% happy with the whole thing. I have since built a wooden base which effectively extends the front edge of the back seat about 2" deeper and also protects the leather from getting creased due to the Mighty Tite being cinched down. I haven't tried the new rig, but I'll post a photo once I do.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 PM
ericwatson
AutoX

[QUOTE=JPS;7586973]

Finally, does anyone know about removing the base? I'd be concerned about the top heavy nature of a loaded car seat pivoting forward without the lever the base provides. In other words, in an accident, the base probably provides extra stability to prevent the seat from pivoting around the mounting points. I wonder if removing it is safe. Not saying it isn't, just saying I don't know, and any safety tests done on the seat would have been with the base installed. Curious what peeps think...I haven't tried that yet.
QUOTE]

I have not found any information about removing the base. I did it because it allowed the seat fit into my cab (not an issue with the wider seats in the coupe I understand). I also like the fact that it lowers the overall high of the seat which should be safer in a rollover situation...again only a cab issue. As for the seat moving more without the base I don't think that will be an issue. Between the latchsystem and the seatbelt the seat is extremely secure in the car..
Old 05-20-2010, 02:38 PM
ericwatson
AutoX

Originally Posted by David in LA
Eric - Did you remove the rear upper seat backs? If not, if you did do you think you would be able to position the seat even further back?

Pics please!
I have not removed the seat...but I will take a look and see if it would provide more room.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:40 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just FYI...I checked the Britax site. Most of the seats seem to say:
Energy-Absorbing Base deforms in the event of a crash to absorb impact forces
Prob a tradeoff...fitting better vs. the energy absorbing...not sure which is better.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with JPS, modifying the car seat is probably a bad idea. I would also think it would void any warranties.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with JPS, modifying the car seat is probably a bad idea. I would also think it would void any warranties.
Well, not saying it is a bad idea, just that it isn't a no-brainer. I was thinking about it more, and the reality is that the biggest thing is having it be secure. Crash dynamics are crazy. For example, I read a study that showed in a 35 mph crash with a 5 pt harness in a street car (forget which one, which of course makes a big difference) just the anti-sub belt got something like 1350 lbs of force on it. That surprised the hell out of me.

Point being, and again, sorry for the thread hijack, it could be worse with the base on and not as snug as with the base off and much more snug. Just saying I really don't know, and would welcome discussion. But, to get the thread back on track, I'll post that on a separate thread.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
irideducs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Floodj
I know this has been discussed before, but I am looking for something a little different.

I would like to start a list of children's car seats that do and do not fit in our cars. I am not looking for how to install them, that has been covered in great detail both here and on Pelican. I am just looking for which seats fit and don't fit as a reference to all of us looking for our little guys to ride with us.

I
Booster Seats -- I found that the Graco Turbo Booster bases are too wide for 993s, but the Britax Parkway works pretty well. I haven't been able to find a booster with a narrower base than the Parkway.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I have a Britax "Starriser" which has an adjustable width base and fits perfectly into the back seat of a 993.

If anybody is interested, make an offer. I bought it in early 2005 shortly after I bought my 993 for $110 (if memory serves). It's clean (the cover has been laundered) and doesnt look too used. I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10. The back section has actually never been used and has sat on a shelf in my garage the entire time I've had it.
if you still have it, I may be interested.
is it the one that works for 30-100 pounders?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:32 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm investigating the Radian 65 or 80 as the next step up. So far:

Did a rear facing infant seat ONCE. Had to tilt the seatback on the passenger seat so far forward as to render it unusable. Wife sat in the back seat with the kiddo. Hence once.

Have a Britax Diplomat now, but it is 40 lbs / 40 inches and he is at 39 now. Looking to upgrade. I bought the Target white label version of the Porsche seat awhile back, but that doesn't allow for a 5 pt on the child seat, which is MUCH safer than using the 3 point belt on the Porsche. Hence looking to upgrade.

There was a Recaro SPort or something that would work fine in the car, but didn't have the 5pt. If the Radian doesn't work out and I can't find something else with a 5 pt, that will be my Plan B.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:11 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We purchased a Britax Frontier 85 for our daughter a few mos ago....the seat can convert to a booster when she gets older, and AFAIK it's the highest capacity seat with a 5-pt harness (85lbs). It's a big seat though and we have not tried putting it in the 993...not sure it can fit in the rear of a 993 cab.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I will start by saying that I do not have children nor do I know anything about them other than they are short That said, a friend of mine has two girls and he has Recaro booster seats in the rear of his 997 Turbo - here is the link:

http://www.recarochildseat.com/RECAR...at.pro#pp-tabs

He said they fit great and he really likes the side impact protection feature - they are also good for 30-120 lbs. I do not know if they would fit in a 993 though. Hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: Carseats - The definative list