993 Forum 1995-1998

Factory M030 Sport Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Cristel993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I started paying attention to 993s when the youngest ones were 6 years old. The several I've driven on the original Monroes were all dead. At the time the Rennlist wisdom was about 30k lifespan. My observations confirmed that so far.

As far as age, I'm not sure it could really affect a shock. What was odd to me is that shocks would die early both on smooth roads of California (where my first car was from) and on bombed-out roads of Boston and NYC at similar rates. My current car has 80k miles of smooth Florida roads. The shocks are deader than Elvis and been like that for years, I'm sure.

What's also interesting, is that everyone going to HDs comments how the car is completely transformed. Yep, actual working, damping shocks are nice I'm sure that new Monroes would also be nice upgrade. For the car that's not driven a lot and for an oner looking for some comfort - I don't see why not.
I went from dead M030 shocks and springs (actually one dead shock at 45k miles) which were factory fitted, to new M033 shocks and springs (ROW to you guys) for around 300 miles and now back to my old M030 springs and new Bilstein HDs.

I must say, the difference between dead M030 to M033 with full geo was really positive, but a little soft for me. Going to M030 springs and HDs has transformed the car to another level.

Grip, firmness and turn-in have all improved dramatically, but I would never describe the ride as harsh or uncomfortable. In fact, it feels much more compliant than M033.

Gert at Carnewal told me that HDs and M030 springs are just the best combination for fast road use and the occasional track day, and how right he is. He said M030 springs are way better than H&Rs but I haven't tried H&Rs.

We also have terrible roads here in the UK too, after a freezing winter and very slow road repairs!:

In summary, HDs and M030 springs = awesome!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
I started paying attention to 993s when the youngest ones were 6 years old. The several I've driven on the original Monroes were all dead. At the time the Rennlist wisdom was about 30k lifespan. My observations confirmed that so far.

As far as age, I'm not sure it could really affect a shock. What was odd to me is that shocks would die early both on smooth roads of California (where my first car was from) and on bombed-out roads of Boston and NYC at similar rates. My current car has 80k miles of smooth Florida roads. The shocks are deader than Elvis and been like that for years, I'm sure.

What's also interesting, is that everyone going to HDs comments how the car is completely transformed. Yep, actual working, damping shocks are nice I'm sure that new Monroes would also be nice upgrade. For the car that's not driven a lot and for an oner looking for some comfort - I don't see why not.

I have driven close to a hundred different 993's that had less then 100 miles on
them fresh off the boat.

When switching from a Monroe to a firmer suspension system, I could see how many people would say "Monroe’s where dead". I believe that spring and valve rates are what most of these people are feeling, not a worn out shock.

The Koni shocks on the other hand would leak badly; the car would have a bounce to it as well.

I have never seen a wet Monroe or enough of them to remember it being an issue like the Koni.

I like the Monroe's for a soft street car. With that said, the first thing I did with my late 4S was install PSS-9's. My next 993 will have PSS-10's.

If someone is looking for a more comfertable street car, I think these shocks are a great deal. NB or WB fit.

(20% Corrdo, i'll pm you my address)
Old 05-17-2010, 08:41 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Calvin, I've had a few leaking Konis (not on a P-car, but on BMWs and MR2s). Monroes didn't really leak on my car. But when we took them out I can compress each shock with my hands. Had the same experience on factory BMW shocks on my older E30s.

I also agree with you that Monroes would be fine choice for a regular street car. My point was their longevity.

I went to H&Rs and HDs on my previous cab. Current one will probably get M030s plus... not sure maybe HDs, maybe Konis. As much as I like Koni SAs, I'm apprehensive on their longevity too. And curious about their new shock, FSR, or whatever they call it.

Corrdo, my apologies, btw, don't mean to spoil a sale for you. Maybe we should take this discussion elsewhere.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Suspension components are SOLD.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:40 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Trying to sort this all out...for my pending suspension upgrade. I have a completely stock 1998 C2S with 49,000 miles, riding on 18" turbo twists wheels and new Bridgestone Potenza REO50A tires. I don't plan on using my car on the track and I live in the northeast where the roads are pretty harsh. Is everyone in agreement that my shocks are "dead" and my springs are "soft," given the 12 years and nearly 50,000 miles. My choices then seem to be the M033 package or the M030 springs and Bilstein HD coilover shocks. Did I get that right? If so, what is the major ride difference and cost difference between the two set ups? "Drop links and "sway bars" were mentioned as well. Anything else I missed that I need to do to optimize my ride quality. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 AM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
My choices then seem to be the M033 package or the M030 springs and Bilstein HD coilover shocks. Did I get that right? If so, what is the major ride difference and cost difference between the two set ups? "Drop links and "sway bars" were mentioned as well. Anything else I missed that I need to do to optimize my ride quality. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:19 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

bump..for feedback
Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I thought Wb M030 were the red shocks, & the M030 for NB are the green ones?
My 95 has green shocks & C4S had red ones. Funny thing is the green ones have 97kmi & still work, the red ones last about 38kmi.

Might it be the Red ones are Monroe, & the Green ones are Boge/Sachs?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey Deadhead

Suspension mods are really a very personal choice and because of this, you'll find tons of old threads on this subject cos everyone has an their own opinion. If you are serious about researching the feedback given for each combination of suspension components, grab a coffee and search through all the old posts. If you can organize it, drive different setups.

FWIW I had original USA Monroe/Ride height and at 50K miles they were still fine for me in terms of ride quality. I changed to MO30 for ride height reasons only and again, I am happy. I did not change sways/droplinks etc. Budget for alignment after any changes.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I thought Wb M030 were the red shocks, & the M030 for NB are the green ones?
My 95 has green shocks & C4S had red ones. Funny thing is the green ones have 97kmi & still work, the red ones last about 38kmi.

Might it be the Red ones are Monroe, & the Green ones are Boge/Sachs?
Mine were green and definitely Monroe's. Could be wrong but aren't the reds standard US spec and the green part of the M030/033 sport suspension kit? I was also informed there is no differentiation between WB and NB. Shocks/struts will work on both, but other suspension components may be different to fit the WB.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Mine were green and definitely Monroe's. Could be wrong but aren't the reds standard US spec and the green part of the M030/033 sport suspension kit? I was also informed there is no differentiation between WB and NB. Shocks/struts will work on both, but other suspension components may be different to fit the WB.
Interesting. My 95, shocks are green & not monroe, that might be why they are still going.

All the C4S & Turbo's seam to have red shocks. Who knows, things sometimes change for no reason. My C4S does have M030 on the hood sticker as does the C4.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Good question...

I know that the M030 RoW springs will work on a M030 front strut. I also know that the M030 RoW rear springs off a wide body Turbo do not work on a NB car, they are too short and are stiffer.

Can we then conclude that the M030 rear springs for a wide body (non-Turbo) are different than the springs for a NB? The only way to tell is to get the part numbers for both and compare them.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

I wonder if the color changed during the production run. The M030/033 kit that these shocks came from was purchased from Porsche 4 years ago. Monroe is stamped on the body and the part numbers are as listed in the original post. Like you say, specs can change over different phases of production for no apparent reason. Certainly wouldn't affect performance.....

Quick Reply: Factory M030 Sport Suspension Question