Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Radar Detectors Really Work for you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got nailed in Arizona by a LEO in an unmarked unit who approached me from behind and paced me. Those sneaky dudes are out there. No technology is going to save you from one of those.

In most jurisdictions, radar is used far more than laser. My 8500 x50 detects K and Ka radar every day in the Denver area, but I only detect laser maybe once a month. Laser can only be used stationary, not in a mobile unit, and from what I understand they are far more expensive than radar units. In these days of shrinking municipal budgets, I think fewer departments are going to be shelling out the bigger bucks for laser units when they aren't necessary. More than enough revenue can be collected using radar alone so I can't imagine why they would feel the need to spend the money on more expensive devices.

When I was in my 20's, my license was suspended twice because of points. One time, I got 3 speeding tickets in one weekend. On another occasion, I got 2 speeding tickets on the same day, by the same cop, in the same spot. He was working westbound I-70 at the Morrison exit as I headed up to the mountains in the morning, and he got me. That afternoon, he was working the eastbound lanes across the street, and he got me coming back down into Denver. As he came up to my window, he said "Well, this is a first for me!"
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Do laser jammers work? I recall reading that they are not reliable.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
By "reliable", do you mean effective? Their effectiveness depends on many factors, not the least of which is the jammer itself. Some have been shown to be better than others in testing. Another critical factor is where they are placed. They need to be close to the typical target areas on the front and rear of the car, such as license plates and headlights, and have a clear view of the road ahead (not stuck behind a plastic grill). On a 911 that doesn't have much in the way of vertical reflective surfaces, they can work quite well. At least, better than they might on, say, a big Dodge Ram pickup with a tall grill on the front. The laser beam has to actually hit the laser jammer unit in order for it to be detected and jammed. That target area is about a 3 foot wide circle from a distance of a quarter mile. Big trucks and SUVs usually need 4 laser jammers on the front end to cover the whole potential target area. A 911 would only need 2.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

I read somewhere (it might have come from Radar Roy) that if a cop can't get a laser reading on you and he suspects you might have a laser jammer (in a state where they are illegal), he has probable cause to stop and search your vehicle for it. If found, not only can they remove and confiscate the units, but the penalties are usually far worse than a speeding ticket. I haven't come across any reports of this happening yet, but I can imagine it's true.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My V1 worked well this past weekend lighting up and warning me of a couple of the Washington State Patrol cars around the corner, fortunately they were working in the opposite direction of the freeway. It's even even warned me, where the patrol cars were sitting in complete darkness in the median strip, with the radar/laser equipment powered on, which gave them away. Being alert and having the V1 has certainly saved me from encounters with LE.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 AM
funbug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Beltronics STi has paid for itself on many occasions. Once tried overtaking a car which sped up and I spooned it. The detector screamed and I had sufficient time to brake as the cop car approached from the front. I hate parting with money for revenue raising purposes - would rather buy something for the P-car.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 AM
funbug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And no, I'm not a risk taker. My last fine was more than 7 years ago after being clocked on a long wide, straight freeway doing a few kays over.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.

Unfortunetly for you they are illegal in California.

http://www.guysoflidar.com/july-2008...mmer-test.html
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
This would be after I get my first Laser ticket, then I'll buy a laser jammer. Until then, I'll take my chances with a V1.
That was me 3+ years ago. Was about 12-15 mph over in my BMW and got tagged by a motorcycle LEO hiding in a revenue building residential trap that I didn't know about.

If and when I get caught and ticketed during spirited runs in the 911 I am well aware that I am breaking the law and accept the ticket, I am polite to the officer, etc. I made a concious decision to break the law and part of that decision is to accept the circumstances when caught. And you will get caught. It's all part of the game.

While I was breaking the law in the BMW it was a trap in a low mph area for the sole purpose of catching unsuspecting victims as a revenue machine. That I have a problem with. I drove straight home, researched lidar jammers and have had them since then.

Two (real) lidar saves have easily paid for jammer. They didn't work on the aircraft ticket I got on I-470, but luckily the State of Missouri was happy to double the fine and call it a broken tailight.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:54 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I have been using Valentine detectors for many years and have saved numerous tickets from being issued. It is a no brainer if you drive over the limit but it is not an excuse to be reckless.

The V1 upgrade program is excellent.

Mark
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my first ever ticket in the 993 last February. I absolutely was not going close to 63 in the 45 zone, as I had just started the car for the first time in a few days, was coming from a long red light and left turn and was headed toward another red light. My detector didn't even chirp. I went to court, all ready to fight that one, in a suit, with a note from the city DOT that they had no road study where I was stopped, a map, photos, etc. Cop didn't show and I skated. ALWAYS fight the state. The worst that can happen is you pay the fine you were going to pay anyway.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Speed Trap Minefield

Rick Lee above is living in a Speed Trap minefield. For years, AZ has had cameras, airplanes, you name it to pass out tickets. His advice, "ALWAYS fight the state. The worst that can happen is you pay the fine you were going to pay anyway."...is sterling.

Stay ever vigilant and check you "6" frequently. This advice is for regular drivers, not necessarily "speed demons". We are their meat...if you have a 993 you must be speeding is an assumption held by many.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I liked the stationary cameras when we had them. They were soooo easy to defeat. There were always two warning signs ahead of the cameras, there were far fewer cops running radar because of them and I could ride my bike at triple digits past them with impunity. First, there were gaps between the sensor wires so the cameras knew which lane tripped them. The wires were clearly visible in daylight and I made it a point to see fast I could go and still go between the wires. Second, they had to match the photo with your drivers license photo, which never applies when you're wearing a full face helmet. When in the car, you just stayed in the lane farthest from the camera, so other cars (most way taller than a 993) blocked the camera's view. A piece of tin foil in the windshield would blind the camera too. Nothing better than beating the state at their own stupid games.

Now that the cameras are gone, they're using motorcycle cops to run radar a lot. But today is our 42nd consecutive day over 100 deg., so they're not out and about too much now.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
ALWAYS fight the state. The worst that can happen is you pay the fine you were going to pay anyway.
+ infinity. I always fight the ticket to avoid the points and, along with a record expungement, have gotten probation before judgement on numerous occasions or, at the worst, a driving refresher course.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

In AZ the online driving school they offer you to skip the points costs more than the fine. It's $320 and it goes right to the state. And if you request a court date, you waive your right to online driving school. But as long as you behave yourself in court, if you lose, you can still ask the judge for it and then you're no worse off than before. No reason not to fight them. I make them work for it when they want to extort money from me.

Quick Reply: Do Radar Detectors Really Work for you?