Sponsored by:

Do Radar Detectors Really Work for you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default With V1...

you'll get good saves and bad saves...the bad save is where the detector goes off and it's just too late...note, as an adult, I have not had a speeding ticket in 15 years, and only 1 other before that. I get lots of V1 saves...but generally I am not going more than 7 over the speed limit. I probably don't need a VI, but I like to know where "they" are. Generally in this part of Cali (Central Coast) CHP will let you slide for 6 or 7 mph. There are much bigger fish to fry. The city cops are not so selective.

Must remember these are hard times. The states and municipalities need the revenue. I get my speed jollies by going to the track 6 - 8 times a year.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does any one know the current state of the art for speed detection in California?

I got popped north of SLO last October...in the Jetta 2.5(!) making a pass, but that's another story. It was gently winding two lane up there, and the CHP was driving the opposite direction. I asked him if he was using laser and he said no, radar. I guess his gun might have a GPS and calculate instant speed differential in order to get my speed?

If radar is still in the mix, maybe a V1 is still a worthwhile tool. It says it also works on laser, but....
Old 07-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Does any one know the current state of the art for speed detection in California?

I got popped north of SLO last October...in the Jetta 2.5(!) making a pass, but that's another story. It was gently winding two lane up there, and the CHP was driving the opposite direction. I asked him if he was using laser and he said no, radar. I guess his gun might have a GPS and calculate instant speed differential in order to get my speed?

If radar is still in the mix, maybe a V1 is still a worthwhile tool. It says it also works on laser, but....
It is difficult to assess the whole state, as local speed enforcement is a function of the city you are in and it's resources. The classical affluent neighborhoods i.e. Manhattan Beach, Beverly Hills have access to the latest technology, and use laser. Other communities may not even have radar.

CHP is the only LEO that is state wide. They employ laser, radar and aircraft on highways.

I still feel better having the V1 in the car, but I always feel that flow of traffic is safest.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude

To use Laser, those bastards need to be stationary.

Unfortunately, the best defense to laser aside from a laser jammer (illegal in CA) is to scan as far ahead as you can for cops. I've saved myself a few times with this method, but it's of course far from foolproof.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a 9500ix yesterday, as I'm not in love with my 8500/X50. I ride my motorcycle regularly from Phoenix to LA and SD and my RD's have saved me countless times. I've had several laser falses and only one real hit. But an oncoming biker warned me and the cop got one of the cars passing me.

A few years ago I was way out in the middle of nowhere in the 993, doing well over 100mph. I got a faint Ka-band chirp, slammed on my brakes and an Audi shot past me like I was standing still. A little ways up the road a cop walked out into the road and flagged him down. I smiled and passed slowly in the left lane. My RD's have paid for themselves many, many times. But you have to use them correctly and stay very alert.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

one save at triple digits is easily the cost of the detector.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I had a 9500ci custom installed in my DD with the display unit placed into my rear-view mirror. As I go over 40miles each way, I've had plenty of chances for it to save me from massive tickets so far.
I wish Passport would obtain the direction display/ technology from Valentine as that would make the "perfect" detector.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile VI for me!!!

I spend a lot of time (too much) going between Paso Robles (Central Coast) and Redondo Beach (South Bay of LA). I alternate between I-5 and 101. I get multiple saves every trip.

A few weeks ago I almost got nailed by a CHP Laser cop. I looked at my speedo about the time he lazed me...77 mph. He was looking for bigger fish. I did get a VI laser warning, but he had me.

The VI is awesome. BTW, I traded in my first generation V1 to Valentine on my latest model. They gave me about a $100 trade in.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:14 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Me personally? Gave up on them YEARS ago. I don't have proof either way all I know is if I'm going to explore the big-numbered side of my speedo, it will be in a situation where I'm relying on my knowledge of road, its conditions, and awareness of others rather than putting trust in a device that may or may not give warning of radar/laser presence.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

You don't have to be a speed demon to get saved by your RD. Going with the flow of traffic here can be technically defined as criminal speeding and land you in Sheriff Joe's tent city. When the tax collectors are out, I like to know they're watching me and let them steal from someone else.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile I am not the big speeder...my

993 rarely sees the public roads. I drive a Prius and a Tundra back and forth to SoCal. I just want to know where they (CHP with radar) are hanging out. I have noticed that lately they (CHP) may be off to the side of the road behind a large bush...definitely not showing their door shield to discourage speeders.

You need to be vigilant at all times driving. Never know where a mad man might be coming down the road...check your 6!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:37 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default My 46000 cents worth...

I have a V1 in my 96 993 and I have a $460 laser ticket....
Nothing I could do in time.
Larpy, thanks for the insight.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
It's just too much work to have fun anymore.....
Not in West Virginia......

Andreas
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default When laser becomes a threat...

This would be after I get my first Laser ticket, then I'll buy a laser jammer. Until then, I'll take my chances with a V1.

For the Hard Core Speeder, none of them on Rennlist, having a scanner is great protection too. However if I had to have a VI, a laser jammer and a scanner to get from point A to point B as a result of predatory speed enforcement, I think I'd rather take the bus.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

There's always the Alex Roy way...

Andreas

Quick Reply: Do Radar Detectors Really Work for you?