Sponsored by:

Replacing the Spoiler Wall

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the Spoiler Wall

This weekend I replaced my cracked spoiler wall, following the steps from the great resource PCarWorkshop found here: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...a_Spoiler_Wall

If anyone plans to do this, read the comments (at the end) because a much simpler method is given than the original one. It took me about an hour to do the job, about half of which was spent redoing it because I threaded the rubber gasket backwards the first time around.

I ordered the part from Sunset for about $80 bucks.

If you guys check out you spoiler walls, most of them are probably cracked due to age. This is a pretty easy fix and well help keep your engine cooool at high speeds....
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the simpler method. Nothing to undo - just slip it in there, for the most part.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
+1 on the simpler method. Nothing to undo - just slip it in there, for the most part.
Shouldnt take more than 10 minutes and that includes going to get the second beer
Old 05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

Ughhh. I just got mine back from the indie and they charged me $130 for the spoiler wall and $48 of labor. I know, I'm an idiot. It was already there having the SAI problem fixed so I told them to just go ahead and do it. Didn't realize they should only cost $80!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Yup, about 10-15min. Almost takes that long to pull out the tools, & get everything ready to go. I did spend about 15 more min cleaning & lubing everything back there, as it does catch all the dirt & dust going over the car.

The hard part is getting the old one out, it can be a little stuck.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took me the better part of 40 minutes, but that is because I didn't read the write-up, just glanced over it at first. After reading the write-up a little better, it was very quick--aside from poking around a little and the general staring at the engine making a mental list of the projects I want to do.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 204 Posts

Did that a couple of weeks ago as well. Wasn't too hard. Over the winter I found a new spoiler wall on Ebay for $63 shipped. Only tool I had to use was a flat head screwdriver.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the reminder, I think the wall on my car is about to start cracking.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:37 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago we were on a trip in Colorado and a 993 passed me and I noticed his spoiler wall flapping in the breeze. It took a while to catch up to him (the wife and I were in a fully loaded Pathfinder) and he seemed to be on a spirited drive . My wife quickly wrote out a note saying "Spoiler Wall Failed" and showed it to the driver as we, finally, passed him. He subsequently stopped to check it out.

A couple of months ago I noticed a small crack in the rear spoiler wall of our car, about 6 inches long. I knew that at some point I would have to replace it so I ordered a new one from Sunset Porsche ($85). I got the part a few weeks ago.

Yesterday I noticed that the original crack was now about 18 inches long. But another had developed and it nearly went from one side of the spoiler to the other. It was definitely time to replace the spoiler wall. I would suggest any owner check out for cracks whenever they wash their car as the spoiler wall helps in cooling off the engine.

I just did the spoiler wall replacement. I followed the information on pcarworkshop:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...a_Spoiler_Wall

As the OP suggested go to the end of the writeup first. One thing I would add is to clean up some of that area while you are in the area. Mine was pretty dirty. I found it helped to lubricate the dowel that the lower end of spoiler wall is attached to as well. Also make sure you reattach the rubber seal at the bottom of the spoiler wall. That part wasn't clear in the instructions. It helps if you pay attention to where the rubber seal is attached prior to removal.

I really haven't done much in terms of any DIY's. If I can do it anyone can!

Quick Reply: Replacing the Spoiler Wall