Sponsored by:

New paint on track wheels - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New paint on track wheels - opinions wanted

What do you think? Should I get center caps? Trying to figure out if I can effectively mask the Porsche crest and paint graphite around it. Anyone tried that? Also, calipers are beat up and need painting. Need suggestions on color. Black again? Silver? I don't want to paint them red... they aren't big reds and I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to fake it. Duplicolor makes a blue similar to the color of my numbers (close to Riviera Blue)... would that be over the top? Thanks for your thoughts!
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2010, 01:10 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think if you went with something the color of the numbers it would look unique. Maybe go with some black Brembo decals? I needed to repaint mine and decided to go red with white Brembo decals instead of the usual Porsche ones. Never really occured to me that someone would ever think I was a Big Red "poser" but people do usually think I've upgraded to Brembos when they see them.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:22 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have metal crests, painting the centers is soopa easy! I recently painted my track wheels and decided to go with caps. They were by far the easiest part. Just put masking tape over it and use a knife to trim around the crest. I have some pics of mine in my track thread from yesterday.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:52 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I've painted center caps before, it's super easy. Just mask the crest with painters tape and spray away.

Here's the end result:

Sorry it's a little dark but it turned out really nice.

Yellow calipers?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 AM
bart1
Race Car

I don't have a good photo of my caps, but here is one that shows them a little:

Old 05-03-2010, 08:35 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Bart and ilko, your wheels look great. Bart, did you already have extra caps? if not, where did you source them? Prices seem to be all over the place... but generally high. With the price of a set, it makes me a bit nervous spraying... very careful masking required.

I just signed up for a DE that requires you to remove caps. Never heard that one before, but a friend with an M3 and plastic caps carefully painted to match his new BBS wheels lost three of them on his first run session. The fourth was a misshapen mess hanging on my a thread. Guess the brake temps got too high for the plastic.

Regarding the caliper color... I guess no one would think of me as a PCCB "poser" with yellow on a 993. I like the way yours look ilko. My problem is that with my Kenesis street wheels, I like the black that doesn't draw attention away from the wheels, but with the dark color track wheels, it seems to beg for something splashy. 2nd, thanks for your support on the blue idea... I guess "unique" is a positive?

Anyone else have opinions?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33 AM
bart1
Race Car

Those are the ones that came in my stock wheels. Seems like you could find some chipped up metal crest ones resonably. I had planned to sell these wheels and caps before, but there wasn't much interest, so I decided to make track wheels out of lemonade.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mine are about the color of blue you are talking about
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Jim, Not sure what's happening, but your pictures are not showing up on my screen. Could you repost? I'm really anxious to see your blue calipers.

Thanks
Greg
Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about white for the calipers?

I've never seen that. Imagine it wouldn't look bad on a black car.

As for center caps - its my understanding that most organizations will require their removal. They do have a habit of popping out - especially if the rear pins have already been broken.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just occurred to me why I love Bart's wheels so much - especially on his car: The color combo of his car and wheels bears a striking resemblance to Steve McQueen's '68 Fastback in Bullitt. Very cool.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:26 PM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Harry L
It just occurred to me why I love Bart's wheels so much - especially on his car: The color combo of his car and wheels bears a striking resemblance to Steve McQueen's '68 Fastback in Bullitt. Very cool.
Thanks! I'm a big McQueen fan myself. I just wanted to do something different with them, so there ya go.

For posterity:

Old 05-06-2010, 12:14 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

one of my all time favorite movies. Best chase scene ever! Did you ever count how many hub caps the Dodge Charger loses during the chase? I think it's more than 4.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Ilko. What are the wheels in your picture? Are they RH or factory 3.6 speedlines? They look real sweet. Your centre cap had a silver crest - was that a factory cap?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the hijack.

M
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Not to change the subject but why do people use blue tape at the track? I was always under the impression the track had no debris, animals, people, idiot drivers, etc.?

Quick Reply: New paint on track wheels - opinions wanted