Sponsored by:

HID Conversion kit install

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts
Default HID Conversion kit install

I installed the HID conversion kit sourced through Gert Carnewal http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p061.htm this morning and just gave it a try in the dark. All I can say is WOW! What a difference. High beams are totally obsolete now. The illumination, breadth and length of the beam is unbelievable relative to the stock halogens.

The installation took all of twenty minutes. Instructions suck by the way. I was under the impression that you had to drill a 25mm hole for the bulbs. After looking at the bulbs I quickly figured out it was the same as the stock halogens. The bulbs fit right into the stock sockets, I drilled the aforementioned 25mm hole into the back cover on the unit. I then ran the wires (through the rubber grommet) and hooked up the ballast. I double stick taped the ballast to the top of the headlight assembly then zip tied it onto the unit itself. The combination of the double stick tape and the zip ties will most certainly preclude the ballast from separating itself from the assembly even under heavy G forces. I was reluctant to attach the ballast to the inside of the fender as the wiring would be a pain is the *** to hook up while the headlight unit was 1/2 inserted into the headlamp socket. This way I can simply slide the whole unit out as one piece. The only issue being I'll have to cut the zip ties to access the bulb if need be.

I definitely recommend the upgrade, especially considering how inexpensive it is, how easy it was to install and that the stock halogens are so weak.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great upgrade...I did mine with the DDM parts and am very happy. I am expecting my DDM fog HIDs (H3's) today and am looking forward to having a set of lights that actually match.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
ToniPalermo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading how easy the installation is I contacted Carnewal for the HID conversion parts. Hope I get the wiring sorted as this is clearly not my strong suit. Did you go with the 5000K or 8000K? Any difference other than the color of the light?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

I sell 35W 6000K HID kits with richly illustrated installation manuals. All circuitry is installed inside the lamp enclosure. Fast and easy install, I do it 20 minutes. Will be happy to send them over the pond.
T-Light also include LED front parking lights. See my web site for details: T-products
Regards,
Tore
Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniPalermo
After reading how easy the installation is I contacted Carnewal for the HID conversion parts. Hope I get the wiring sorted as this is clearly not my strong suit. Did you go with the 5000K or 8000K? Any difference other than the color of the light?
I went with the 5000k which is what Gert recommended. I also did the Turbo S airscoops with LED's which has a similar light color. The wiring is pretty hard to screw up. Brown is ground on the headlamp assembly which mates to the black wire on the Xenon's, yellow goes to red on the Xenon's. Everything else is a plug and socket assembly which you can't do incorrectly. It really is that easy. There is a chance you might need to file the inside of the slot the bulb slides through into the headlamp assembly. One of the bulbs slid right through. The other was a bit snug, one pass with a file and the problem was solved.

Quick Reply: HID Conversion kit install