Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

O.T. - The Missing Link - Off to upholstery ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default O.T. - The Missing Link - Off to upholstery ...

First, let me apologize for having all the text up front and the pictures afterward. Unfortunately, the Upload Photo tab is not working AGAIN!!

I bought this car last November, it's an early '65 912 Sunroof (really rare option) Coupe #350442, 3-gauge, painted dash car. Cardex shows a build date of July 22, 1965 with engine number 830991 and optional sunroof, ventilated chrome wheels, antenna/loudspeaker, Dunlop tires. Exterior paint code is a 1964 356 color, 6410 Dolphin Grey with Black leatherette and Mouse Grey Corduroy inserts.

I consider this car the missing link in the transition between the old 356 production and the new 911 (901) production in 1964/65. These cars were produced to bridge the gap for die-hard 356 buyers that wanted the simplicity of a 356 4 cylinder motor coupled with the new technology of the 901/911 platform. We were also in a recession back then, much like the one we're in now. Porsche had too many 356 SC engines on the shelf as they wound down 356 production and they needed a less expensive car to offer to their huge 356 customer base that were balking at the price of the new 911.

The car was purchased in Germany by an American G.I. to drive while stationed over there, then he shipped it back to California through Ogner Porsche Audi (Still has the Ogner plate frames). All numbers match including the date coded wheels. It was poorly repainted Pearlescent White on the outer panels at some point. The door jams and 3-gauge Dash are still original factory Dolphin Grey, and the car is straight and dry with a few minor bumps and bruises.

This would be the 442nd 912 coupe built at the factory by Ruetter. When it was built, the last of the '65 356's were being built right along side of it in the old werks building in Zuffenhausen and they share many parts including the european exhaust/exchanger heating system, mirrors and other brightwork and seat frames and interior seat coverings, all 356 spares. In Mid-August, the factory made several changes to the 912 line including an option for a 5 gauge dash like the 911, U.S. spec heat exchangers, and they started painting the dash flat black and added brushed aluminum trim across the knee bar at the bottom. Soon, the 3-gauge cars disappeared and there's hardly any left.

The car is being restored in Southern California and is currently in final panel fit and block sanding getting ready to be painted in it's original Dolphin Grey livery. Here's some photos of the car as purchased, then the initial strip to bare metal with what bondo and body work that was there removed. The last pictures are the car being panel fitted with light glazing and sanding being done. Note the last 3 vin numbers, 442, stamped into the headlight buckets, an early practice brought over from the 356 line and then abandoned sometime before 1966. The car should be through paint here shortly:
Attached Images         

Last edited by JPP; 04-26-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Progress
Old 01-19-2010, 01:22 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Here's a quick update of this project, the car is finally painted in it's factory original Dolphin Grey. Color match to the original paint on the top of the dash is perfect . This is single stage enamel, so it will be color sanded in a few days and then all undercoatings in the trunk, engine compartment, inner fenders and bellypan will be applied as originally done at the factory in '65. After that, the next step is final assembly. Here's some pics of the painted car and panels:

You can just see the tiny sunroof drain holes in the top by the side gutters here:

Looks like we're on track to show her at the 912 Registry Rendevous this summer in Healdsburg, CA

Oh, and here's the company she's keeping while getting restored, over 50 Porsche's on the property today in various stages from turnkey for sale to just getting unloaded from a trailer to start the process:

The Tangerine and Signal yellow are 911S's and the Metallic Blue sunroof is a 40Kmile original E with sport seats and Cibie Rally Lamps. Pastel Blue Targa is the owners personal car:

Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Wow! I love it. Please report back with further pics showing the progress.

Andreas
Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 AM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up and photos. Who is restoring your car in SoCal?
I had a 69 912 for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Keep us updated with your progress.

Bob
Old 01-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Our first Porsche was a 68 912. Loved that car.
Extremely fun car to drive, lightweight. didn't get to speed real fast, but a hoot to drive once it got there.

One of these days, I would love to get another one.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by air eater
Nice write up and photos. Who is restoring your car in SoCal?
I had a 69 912 for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Keep us updated with your progress.

Bob
p.m. sent.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kika
Our first Porsche was a 68 912. Loved that car.
Extremely fun car to drive, lightweight. didn't get to speed real fast, but a hoot to drive once it got there.

One of these days, I would love to get another one.
Yeah, they're very well balanced. The original motors and gearing were engineered for touring but today's technology and materials can easily bring a 50% horsepower increase to the table without splitting the case or changing the original integrity.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Wow! I love it. Please report back with further pics showing the progress.

Andreas
Thanks Andreas, it's really CLEAN right now . BTW, There were no fans to be had there (I ask wherever I go now ...), but he said he would check the engine shop next week.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That looks like a great project! Please keep us updated on the progress.
John
Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just amazing. The car looks beautiful. Thanks for posting pics.

Andy
Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by simpsoap
Just amazing. The car looks beautiful. Thanks for posting pics.

Andy
Thanks Andy,
Sometimes, walking around this place looks a lot like your Avatar picture.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This was my Pazific Blau SC when I had it restoratively repainted.
Attached Images   
Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
This was my Pazific Blau SC when I had it restoratively repainted.
Nice, Harlan. I'm sure you will agree, it's a stressful process. Is this the Seattle shop you mentioned before? What a line up out in front. Is that 906 just a body, or was someone local having it restored? Pretty rare stuff....
Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, this is down in Kent at Rillo's Restoration. The 910 was in for a full restoration. I have lots of photographs that I took of the process on a CD somewhere. I'll upload them later. So cool stuff comes through the shop, lots of 356 Cabs and Speedsters.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Yes, this is down in Kent at Rillo's Restoration. The 910 was in for a full restoration. I have lots of photographs that I took of the process on a CD somewhere. I'll upload them later. So cool stuff comes through the shop, lots of 356 Cabs and Speedsters.
So, that's a 910 variant? I could have sworn that was a 906 or 'Carrera 6' as some people call them with the squared off headlight openings etc.

Quick Reply: O.T. - The Missing Link - Off to upholstery ...