Sport Seats Saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sport Seats Saga

Hi Guys,

I purchased Sports Seats last month $$$$$$$$$. As when you buy anything from just photos, they were not what I had hope for.
The previous owner was a smoker and when I unpacked them, it felt like I just smoked 2 packs of Marlboro cigarettes (no seller disclosure). The center foam pieces where loose and would not stay in place.
At the time of purchase, I begged the seller to pack the seats properly (shipping was well over the $500 mark) I began to get concerned when the tacking number showed only ONE box and over 100 lbs. Needless to say, the packing job was really bad. I bought the seats internationally and were shipped in a SINGLE box in the 69 position..... which bent the control handles and separated the leather from the hardbacks in some places
After spending multi-thousand dollars for these, I was in a panic.
I turned to Truspeed motor cars for a rescue. Truspeed is currently saving them for me (more $$$$$). I think the smoke smell will be gone, might have to replace all the foam, and we are trying to condition the leather. I went ahead and had the backs painted to match my Speed Yellow C2 while the seats are apart.

Below are Pics. Wish me luck!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sux, but I am sure when you get them all sorted out they are going to look great...I really like the yellow backs
Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can appreciate the frustration. I had my mechanic remove and ship my solid twists to a buyer when I had the RUFs installed. They were in perfect shape when he removed them, thus I got top dollar for them. I guess he didn't feel the need to put cardboard over the face of each wheel/tire combo, so needless to say they arrived at their destination severely scratched. Fed-Ex took no responsibility, nor did I expect any. Since I didn't pay my mechanic for his service, I didn't go back to him for compensation (mistake). Buyer returned the wheels in the original packaging. I resold them at a much reduced rate and repacked for shipping. Wheh! I've wanted for a long time to vent that story.
Moral of the story: get at least one photo of the articles packaging before they ship.
The only upside to your dilema is you will have near new seats when completed. The Speed yellow backs look great. You'll hopefully forget the hasstle and enjoy the compliments.
I have the factory sport seats (Black) in mine and love them. I feel like I'm sitting on a pile of cash!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by air eater
I have the factory sport seats (Black) in mine and love them. I feel like I'm sitting on a pile of cash!
Love that!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
(shipping was well over the $500 mark)
Jesus!

On the other hand, the yellow looks great.

Andreas
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Similar thing with my RUFs. Bought the wheels, had them shipped from Toronto, the #()%*)#$ previous owner did not pack them right (even though we talked about this on the phone), the wheel nuts got loose, and worked their magic on one of the wheels faces. That to get the wheel refinished for $350. No way to get compensation from the guy I bought it from (lucky for him I was not within driving distance).

Lessons learned....**sigh.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by air eater
I guess he didn't feel the need to put cardboard over the face of each wheel/tire combo, so needless to say they arrived at their destination severely scratched.
Ugh...sorry to hear that. Many people seem to ask their mechanic to do all sorts of "menial" tasks which the mechanics feel are outside of their core competency, but they suck it up if you're an otherwise good customer. Bad situation, but I'm not totally surprised he did a crappy job of packing.

Eric, your seats are looking good. That's cool that TruSpeed handled that for you. When you add in the paint and the mechanical repair, that too, seems outside of the normal purvey of a normal upholstery shop.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We keep announcing publicly what these things cost/are worth and next thing you know they will disappear from our cars like Miata hardtops do. But I will state that it's unlikely we'd ever see a Craigslist ad bragging about having whatever color you needed to match your car..............
Old 04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

What a shame. Things would be so much easier if sells would just do the right thing(s); list them correctly and ship them the right way. When you get done your pocket book will be lighter, but you'll have a great addition to your 993. Keep the photos coming.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

The loose center padding insert is quite common as is the seat back material pulling off the shoulder area from shrinkage. Dont stress too much about that -- the other problems however are not cool and could have been avoided!!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

What was the initial price with shipping and how much for the repairs? I'm sure they will look great when done. I think I have moved on to wanting RS seats now
Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

omg.... bol in a big way; sorry to hear you went over budget.

note to self: things to ask, "is this from a smoked in car?"

regardless, they seem to be looking great!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cactus
What was the initial price with shipping and how much for the repairs? I'm sure they will look great when done. I think I have moved on to wanting RS seats now
I don't want to get into the initial numbers, but I will post how much it cost me to get them to install condition and then how much the painting cost once the seats are completed and installed.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Time to add heat! Although in OC it might not be a pressing need. But imagine the resell value.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat

+1 on the heating. Aftermarket for about $250. I had my controls placed in the center below the handbrake.

Quick Reply: Sport Seats Saga