993 Forum 1995-1998

Sport Seats Saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul K
Glad it will work out in the end- pity it'll take so much $$!

Will you have your old seats available anytime soon? Are they heated?
The seats that I am taking out are standard 8 way power seats NOT heated 40k miles (really good condition.) The seats have the Porsche Crest in the head rest. I have not decided if I am going to sell them yet. If you are interested, I will let you know if I decide to let them go.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
993C4RS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hole moley Eric,
Just read ur seat SAGA..
Hope all turns out well...
Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

update -
the paint has been drying a funny shade so they keep repainting. I am confident that the color will be perfect.
I wanted to get the head rests embossed with the Porsche crest. However, all the kings men and all kings horses could not come up with a solution....... So, I will be sticking without the crests.

I will update soon when complete.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
I wanted to get the head rests embossed with the Porsche crest. However, all the kings men and all kings horses could not come up with a solution....... So, I will be sticking without the crests.
Maybe check with this RLer (?)
https://rennlist.com/forums/7462158-post19.html
Old 07-11-2010, 12:01 PM
syzygy
Instructor

If your leather covers aren't reinstalled yet, I'd check with Paul Champagne leather works.

His specialty is 928 leather, but will do others of the Porsche family. He does laser engraving as part of his collection of upholstery tricks. I haven't had anything done through him, but if his communication is any reflection of the rest of his service, it would be pretty good.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Update -

Seats are back. Paint work is GREAT and the backs look great!
No more smoke smell.
However, with all the cleaning and the age of the leather, the leather is SUPER STIFF and has shrunk so the covers do not fit well at all! I thought the covers came off due to the horrible shipping method, turns out that was only part of it.....
New covers are $2.5K to $3K.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Update -

Seats are back. Paint work is GREAT and the backs look great!
No more smoke smell.
However, with all the cleaning and the age of the leather, the leather is SUPER STIFF and has shrunk so the covers do not fit well at all! I thought the covers came off due to the horrible shipping method, turns out that was only part of it.....
New covers are $2.5K to $3K.

well...in the best of condition I understand the covers come loose. It's almost a daily occourance to tuck a little back in here and there. usually, my 9 yr old daughter handles the task on my hard backs.

When the seats are in their normal position-seat backs back that is...you'd be hard pressed to see it coming loose. Vanity is a fickle mistress(or something like that.

Sit in, drive and enjoy. The only bad thing is you can't see your car from the rear while you are actually driving it. I bet it is absolutely stunning when viewed from the rear.

That's the picture I want to see...I call that angle with HB sport seats the "money shot"
Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
That's the picture I want to see...I call that angle with HB sport seats the "money shot"
Eww.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 PM
kiesan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul K
Glad it will work out in the end- pity it'll take so much $$!

Will you have your old seats available anytime soon? Are they heated?
Sorry op for the hijacking!

Paul would you be interested in the original seats from my/Scooter's past (now belongs to rc1320) 993? Supple leather, grey, 8-way power, heat...

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ml#post7896371

Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiesan
Sorry op for the hijacking!
No worries, my Original seats are mint with Porsche Crests. Not heated. I have not decided to sell or not yet. I kind of like having all the parts on the option code sticker.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,791 Likes on 1,710 Posts

mc: Try some deep leather conditioning. As others have said already, sport seats are known for loose center backs and unclipping of the leather at the shoulder and side area. Those issues may have been aggravated by poor packing and cleaning the smoke smell but they are not the cause. Relaxing the leather with Lexol or some other leather conditioner will help make the leather more supple and possibly reverse some of the shrinkage you noted. By deep, I mean soak them overnight and repeat the application a few times.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry, i know that this is not what you want to hear at the moment...but those yellow backs make your car.

why are the cover so expensive -- are you quoting Porsche leather directly? I know that locally there are upholsterers that would do a really great job for far less $$
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked on GAHH a while back - a 4 pc set in leather for regular seats was just under $1800 and I think the sport seats were an extra $250-300. But then there's shipping too.

dave
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No affiliation but this guy has a set of replacement foam if anyone needs. He's suppose to have the leather too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
sorry, i know that this is not what you want to hear at the moment...but those yellow backs make your car.
what he said!

Quick Reply: Sport Seats Saga