Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help..Motor Mount, how much fluid does one contain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help..Motor Mount, how much fluid does one contain?

Motor mount experts.....

Noticed a new oil spot under my 933 (it presently weeps slightly), the spot was located unusually to the right and near the rear. Oil was different (milky) and didn't smell right.

So I jacked it up to find out where the fluid was coming from, and the fluid started streaming out (freaking me out in the process). Opened the hood, I found fluid on the engine tin collected under the motor mount and vicinity. My first thought was an oil leak from the timing chain cover. But as I investigated further it appears to have come from the right (passenger side) motor mount.

So here are my questions:

1) How much fluid is in one of these mounts? (Seemed like a lot when it came streaming down, maybe 8oz)
2) Do you agree it is the MM and I can stop my search?
3) I don't track this car, but I might do a few DE's in the next couple of years, should I replace with original type, C4 solid, or RS etc. (I know lots of threads out there)
4) Does anyone who recently upgraded to RS/Wevo mounts have their non shot MM that they are willing to part with at a reasonable price (C4's would be optimal).
5) Best place to obtain sunset, Okla foreign-used, other?

Appreciate your insight(s).

Thanks,

Marco
Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Not sure #4 is a good idea unless you get them for $20-30...this part wears not just because of use but of age so you may have to change them again in a while. FYI the motormounts of my ex 17 year old 993 finally went and the car had less than 25k miles on it.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Marco8
Racer

Thanks David
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

"Black & foul smelling" were the adjectives chosed to describe the fluid from a ruptured MM in my MM R&R on the 4S - perhaps the C2 is pure white ..... 8 oz may be a bit much, but easy to check if the MM bellows is ruptured.

BTW, before releasing the bottom 18mm nut on the MM stud, jack the car up by the engine case: that will lock the top square end into the motor carrier, and ease the removal of the bottom nut.
This can be done in very few minutes.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Marco8
Racer

Thanks Garth, just to clarify it wasn't white (brown with a little whiteness to it), but yes foul smelling. I'm 99.9% sure that is what it is.

I'm now looking at the replacements, c4/c4s/turbo, OEM, wevo's or RS. Concern w/ wevo or RS is too rigid (presently not a track car, but who knows what the future holds...)
Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Marco8
Racer

I'm conflicted:

C4 mounts $290 most compliant and quietest
RS $356 stiffer, better performance (everyone here seems to love them) louder/sportier cabin
Wevo Blacks $300 stiffest, plus can change to even stiffer blue pillows for low cost

I don't track(yet) so C4's are the obvious choice, but the RS and wevo are an upgrade (depending on perspective) and the wevo's have flexibility for even a stiffer ride.... I'm conflicted, consensus here is unlikely, but would appreciate opinions....

Last edited by Marco8; 04-20-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Marco8-

Smells like dead, putrid fish? Yep, motor mount. Mine did exactly what yours did when jacked up. (luckily it wasn't on MY garage floor...hehe )

I found an increase in cabin noise with the RS and had thought about going back to the normal mounts. I've just gotten used to it. Cell phone usage with a headset has gone down some because of that (yeah, yeah, I know I'm supposed to be driving... Traffic on the way to work doesn't allow for "driving"!)

I think ANY new motor mount is going to feel MUCH better, regardless of RS/orig/etc. I didn't notice a HUGE increase in responsiveness that some have mentioned....maybe I'm just not paying close enough attention.

cheers,
Old 04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

> RS

Andreas
Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
> RS

Andreas
+1

I noticed very little increase in noise or vibration. I have not done trans mount (I think that's the one that add's more noise)
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

PM sent.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marco8
I'm conflicted:

C4 mounts $290 most compliant and quietest
RS $356 stiffer, better performance (everyone here seems to love them) louder/sportier cabin
Wevo Blacks $300 stiffest, plus can change to even stiffer blue pillows for low cost

I don't track(yet) so C4's are the obvious choice, but the RS and wevo are an upgrade (depending on perspective) and the wevo's have flexibility for even a stiffer ride.... I'm conflicted, consensus here is unlikely, but would appreciate opinions....
My $0.02: If you're not willing to reinforce the engine carrier, then I think it's either you go with the RS or the factory C2 or C4/Turbo mounts. I thought the RS were slightly cheaper than stock but could be mistaken and you will get some more noise than the factory but if you also upgrade to an RS/GoldenRod shift kit then you'll also benefit from tighter overall shifting (the factory mm add a lot of slop to the shifting IMHO). I also doubt you will notice any improvement as to whether the rear end has tightened up some unless you switch to fixed back seats or other seats with high bolsters.

I wouldn't get the Wevo unless you strengthen the engine carrier, even if you don't track the car. If you take a look at it you will see how flimsy it looks compared to the Turbo carrier and they have failed even on cars that were on standard mounts.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,395 Likes on 809 Posts

You should be able to get the RS units for less at sunset or parts.com, even with all the additional parts needed.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I ran the C4 style just because AOW did the RS and I didn't want to be like him. I really ran them because it was the best solution for my style of driving (no track or autocross) just street driving.

Mike
Old 04-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Marco8
Racer

Guys thanks for all your input.

I went ahead and ordered a C4 set from sunset $144.37ea (current price check). Each choice had its respective strengths (new vs used and compliant vs sporty), but at the end of the day went the safe route.

Thanks again! Is this a great place or what!

Marco

Quick Reply: Help..Motor Mount, how much fluid does one contain?