Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Motor mount found dying .... replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Motor mount found dying .... replaced!

In playing with my suspension, I wanted to do a quick one sided adjustment - so used a floor jack under the spine of the engine case rather than the hoist: to my annoyance, noticed that the exhaust tips started to move towards the rear cover ... - which indicates saggy motor mounts. As there were a spare low use pair from my parts car, no problem: I'll allow a half hour to whip them in sat AM ...

On the hoist, a half hour would have done it .... except for the fubar of whatever monkey that was in there before. The 'easy' right mount was never correctly locked in to the engine carrier by the 17mm square lug at the base of the mount. Instead, it was twisted 1/4 turn when installed, deforming the metal of the lug as shown in the pic.
Once the stud nut was loosened, the whole stud assembly would not catch in the carrier, no matter how hard the case was jacked up into the chassis. Lowering the case to catch the stud with vise grips ( in the cavernous space under the AC compressor ) did not work: jamming a 17mm wrench on the two good flats of the lug whilst reaching underneath with 2 lbs of socket drive finally caught the 18mm nut. The added delight of bathing in the foul smelling black crap squirting out of the ruptured mount with both arms stretched caressing the rear would have been worth a picture ... it was certainally worth a few choice words
This pic may show the incidence of someones callous stupidity in installing mounts.

Perhaps the point of this is that it is worthwhile to jack the engine case to assess movement at the exhaust tips: if excessive, time for new mounts.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job and good heads up for the rest of us

Originally Posted by Garth S
In playing with my suspension, I wanted to do a quick one sided adjustment - so used a floor jack under the spine of the engine case rather than the hoist: to my annoyance, noticed that the exhaust tips started to move towards the rear cover ... - which indicates saggy motor mounts. As there were a spare low use pair from my parts car, no problem: I'll allow a half hour to whip them in sat AM ...

On the hoist, a half hour would have done it .... except for the fubar of whatever monkey that was in there before. The 'easy' right mount was never correctly locked in to the engine carrier by the 17mm square lug at the base of the mount. Instead, it was twisted 1/4 turn when installed, deforming the metal of the lug as shown in the pic.
Once the stud nut was loosened, the whole stud assembly would not catch in the carrier, no matter how hard the case was jacked up into the chassis. Lowering the case to catch the stud with vise grips ( in the cavernous space under the AC compressor ) did not work: jamming a 17mm wrench on the two good flats of the lug whilst reaching underneath with 2 lbs of socket drive finally caught the 18mm nut. The added delight of bathing in the foul smelling black crap squirting out of the ruptured mount with both arms stretched caressing the rear would have been worth a picture ... it was certainally worth a few choice words
This pic may show the incidence of someones callous stupidity in installing mounts.

Perhaps the point of this is that it is worthwhile to jack the engine case to assess movement at the exhaust tips: if excessive, time for new mounts.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:17 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for sharing Gath -BTW how many miles do you have on the original mounts so I can decide when mine should be replaced or upgraded.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SR71BLACKBIRD
Thanks for sharing Gath -BTW how many miles do you have on the original mounts so I can decide when mine should be replaced or upgraded.

Good point - 72K now on the clock, although I've suspected they were on the way out up to 8K earlier: the wevo or RS would be a nice upgrade, but I had spares at the right price. At 25K on the replacements, they were 8mm shorter than the ones removed - which is good.

I've replaced several sets on 928 S4's ... and one can replace the 993 mounts long before even the S4 steering rack is set aside to even see the cross member that hides those mounts; bottom line - a very doable 993 DIY.

Quick Reply: Motor mount found dying .... replaced!