Sponsored by:

Audio question...Mcintosh

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Audio question...Mcintosh

I want to put a McIntosh in my 993 like some other RL'ers.
I am not up to speed on the technicals though. Can someone review the specs on this E bay ad and advise me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...y=39754&ih=011

My plan is as follows:

1. Good head unit with old school look and function
2. 4 or 5 channel amp to power 4 speakers
3. Subwoofer (probably one)
4. Second amp if needed for sub

I see this McIntosh is "old school 4 amp" as the ad states.
should I be okay with this and if not, what should I be looking for.

I am going to copy this to CAR AUDIO INNOVATIONS as well but thought I would ask others here too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another option that is a little more modern:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...yers/DEX-P99RS
Old 04-01-2010, 11:43 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABCar
I want to put a McIntosh in my 993 like some other RL'ers.
I started off with similar intentions....
Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I started off with similar intentions....
Well? What DID you end up doing Mr. PW Herman? do you have an audio system you'de like to share with the rest of the class?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Andy,

I'd kill to have a McIntosh unit in my car. I love that look in a 993. Old school rocks in a Porsche. Hope it all works out for you. I still have my home McIntosh system that I bought a year out of college (27 years ago) and it works as well as the day I got it.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

A nice amp set up is to get a four channel, drive the fronts in stereo, and bridge the other 2 in mono for the subwoofer, you can drive the rear speakers off headunit power.

Make sure the amp you use can be bridged in mono. I had that set up in my last 911, and it ROCKED.

I used a Precision Power 450 Amp in that car.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ABCar
Well? What DID you end up doing Mr. PW Herman? do you have an audio system you'de like to share with the rest of the class?
Sure Andy,

This subject is my current ongoing project....

I wanted a HU that would interface with Ipod/Iphone. That in itself will limit your options. After extensive research I ended up with a Alpine 9887 HU. While it does not have the classic look of the oem system, it does accommodate my needs. It has a very high quality DAC which allows playback of of MP3 format for near CD quality. This unit will also play a single CD. But to me CDs are not very convenient. I grown to actually like the look.

The HU is plumbed into a Alpine PDX 4.100 power amp located in the trunk. The amp is currently temporarily mounted in the spare tire well. I need to find a permanent home fpr the PA. The amp is a 4 channel amp. 2 of the amp channels drive the Dynaudio 242GT component 2 way speakers ( 6.5 " mid woofer and 1 " soft dome tweeter) that replace the factory junk that came in the doors. Yes the oem speakers are junk.

Right now, the system is light years ahead of the factory system, but lacks the low end punch that I am looking for.

I am currently working on the fabrication of a frp a sub enclosure that will house a single Dayton Audio reference 10" subwoofer. I will use the remaining 2 channels in a bridged configuration into the solo sub. I plan to located the subwoofer in the rear seat behind the driver.

Probably way more than you wanted to know...

Bob-
Attached Images        
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I retained the stock head unit, but this is tucked away up front.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Sure Andy,

Bob-
Not at all Bob...very impressive. I must have missed your project online but love the dynamat...in spite of the weight. I think you should offset the extra load by putting a 3.8 L RS motor in the rear. That should also handle the extra punch in the low end in more ways then one. If I am ever in CO I am coming to hear your system! We put an Alpine in my wife's BMW recently and although I am impressed with many of it's features I am dissapointed in the downgrade in hardware quality and warmth of sound....(that could be systemic though).
Anyways, thanks for the extensive description...it may come in handy as mine progresses (slippery slope!!).

Also, thanks Steve, Kika and Gonzilla for the input as well. I love the McIntosh amp! I looked at the Pioneer mentioned earlier and it is very pricey and more tech than I want right now. For me, Bass, Treble and some good amperage is my goal. As long as I can integrate my XM I will be happy.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same Alpine head unit as pictured above, I think. Great display and iPod interface on thier units. I also have a set of Dynadios I have yet to install. Deciding which amp to do with, that McIntosh is fantasic but big and expensive.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I retained the stock head unit, but this is tucked away up front.

Hey Gonzo, do happend to have any details on the mounting of your amp? That is a very nice installation.

TYIA

Bob-
Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Sure Andy,

I wanted a HU that would interface with Ipod/Iphone. That in itself will limit your options. After extensive research I ended up with a Alpine 9887 HU. While it does not have the classic look of the oem system, it does accommodate my needs. It has a very high quality DAC which allows playback of of MP3 format for near CD quality. This unit will also play a single CD. But to me CDs are not very convenient. I grown to actually like the look.

The HU is plumbed into a Alpine PDX 4.100 power amp located in the trunk. The amp is currently temporarily mounted in the spare tire well. I need to find a permanent home fpr the PA. The amp is a 4 channel amp. 2 of the amp channels drive the Dynaudio 242GT component 2 way speakers ( 6.5 " mid woofer and 1 " soft dome tweeter) that replace the factory junk that came in the doors. Yes the oem speakers are junk.

Right now, the system is light years ahead of the factory system, but lacks the low end punch that I am looking for.

I am currently working on the fabrication of a frp a sub enclosure that will house a single Dayton Audio reference 10" subwoofer. I will use the remaining 2 channels in a bridged configuration into the solo sub. I plan to located the subwoofer in the rear seat behind the driver.

Bob-

I went with basically same set up
-alpine head unit (i pod interface)
-alpine pdx 4x100 amp - trunk mount
-for speakers, bostons with separate tweeters for the front, narrow mount (its a cab) alpines in the back. agree stock speakers suck...from sound room found bostons or infinity were best imo.

trunk mount...(and yes i know thats not where toolkit goes, but i keep compressed air/sealant/bike pump in spare's cavity)
Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, impressive install. This has been on my "to-do" list since I bought my car. I have a relatively new Alpine head unit and I really only want to replace speakers/amp. Are you happy with the speaker set-up? Do you have any shots of the rear speakers?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhale
Bob, impressive install. This has been on my "to-do" list since I bought my car. I have a relatively new Alpine head unit and I really only want to replace speakers/amp. Are you happy with the speaker set-up? Do you have any shots of the rear speakers?
Hey Jon, I don't use the rear speakers. Front stage only. The Dynaudios are very nice. The system does need the addition of a subwoofer. Stay tuned

Are you planning to go to the Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...y=US&geodiff=1

Bob-
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
A nice amp set up is to get a four channel, drive the fronts in stereo, and bridge the other 2 in mono for the subwoofer, you can drive the rear speakers off headunit power.

Make sure the amp you use can be bridged in mono. I had that set up in my last 911, and it ROCKED.

I used a Precision Power 450 Amp in that car.
I have exactly the same set-up with the same amp. The only difference is that I went with a pair of the Car Audio Innovation 8W1 subs. I would have needed another amp for the 8W3s. The rear speakers are JL4x6s. I'm not audiophile but I like the sound and am very happy now.

ps I'm told that the 911 has never been known for its good acoustics.

Quick Reply: Audio question...Mcintosh