Sponsored by:

Audio question...Mcintosh

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:26 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pchasen,

I plan to use these, unless I find a better alternative...

You mount the ring behind the speaker and then the grill snaps over the speaker. Looks very factory, and you could paint if necessary.

Link:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-422
Old 04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
pchansen1
Advanced

Jainbaby,

I should clarify that with the Hi-Fi option, I re-used the stock door panels/ speaker enclosures. I ended up filling the resultant air cavity with about 50% polyfill to heap deaden any vibration. ( I also installed Dynamat on the inside metal surface of the door panels.) If I didn't have the Hi-Fi enclosures, your idea would be perfect. I'm not one to advertise brand or or quality of my components. My Focals actually came with a window sticker. Why not just put a "Free audio system" sign in the back window!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:44 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Oh, I see that now...my car is a non hi-fi option car...
Old 04-03-2010, 06:10 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jainbaby
SuperUser, what did you use for a grille?

I am about to start a write up on my 993. I am doing a small audio system and an interior redo. Being that I work for JVC, the radio will be JVC. I will run either H audio, HAT, Dynaudio or Exodus mids (I have them all here).
I am cutting up the original non HI-FI speakers to get just the outer ring/grill. This way the Hybrid Audio L6's will look completely stock behind the factory grill and I do not have to cut the door panel.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Wow,

Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 is super nice amp, are you running it active?
By 'active', I assume you mean with the Room Perfect room correction? Yes, I am.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
By 'active', I assume you mean with the Room Perfect room correction? Yes, I am.
Active meaning use of active cross-overs instead of ordinary passive filters in the speakers.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Active meaning use of active cross-overs instead of ordinary passive filters in the speakers.
Ah. Nope, haven't gone that far yet. I've had it only a few weeks. My Monitor Audio speakers do allow 3 different connections, so perhaps in the future.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default McIntosh Update...Installed

Well, I went against the advice of Rod Birch and the current trends in technology and installed a 2004 model McIntosh MX406 head unit. I could not resist the beauty and simplicity and quality of the MC. Plus, it really goes to the late-old school style that attracts me to the 993.

I think it is the perfect radio for this car and love the way it looks. So far it is the only upgrade on the audio system I have done so I am still on stock speakers and amp for now. The sound is much better already. I pod cable and charger cable to come along with McIntosh amp and unknown speaker upgrades.

Here are the first photos.
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

OK-I ask why? If you want to achieve sonic perfection, rule one is to make the listening room quiet and controllable. The Porsche cockpit and road environment is so far away from that concept that I am confused as to how you would think the sonic quality of a system costing XXX is going to be better than X? Let alone the added weight dragging your rocker panels around. Just trying to understand-try not to flame too much-
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Congrats, ABCar! Excellent match to your trim rings. Great head unit to build on. Franklin229, you've got a point but the same rationale could be given to our cars. Any old vehicle could get us from A to B but we choose to do it with class and performance. Granted, the unit may be overkill but what's wrong with a little wretched excess?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Franklin229
OK-I ask why? If you want to achieve sonic perfection, rule one is to make the listening room quiet and controllable. The Porsche cockpit and road environment is so far away from that concept that I am confused as to how you would think the sonic quality of a system costing XXX is going to be better than X? Let alone the added weight dragging your rocker panels around. Just trying to understand-try not to flame too much-
Hey Franklin, point taken. But I think you have been inhaling too much Zaino. I know I have! I like my unit and had so much fun listening to my "LET IT BE-NAKED" disc on the way home tonight that I forgot to shift. Well, things got bad after that...first the synchros went flying (but only 1st through 3rd) and the engine fan actually propelled itself into the two cars behind me (no one injured thankfully) and then...the engine went silent. You are right, when I finally stopped at the side of the road with no engine or road noise, the radio really came to life!

Seriously, I just want better sound and I am so happy. Now go put another coat of Zaino on your car...

Quote NCCongrats, ABCar! Excellent match to your trim rings. Great head unit to build on. Franklin229, you've got a point but the same rationale could be given to our cars. Any old vehicle could get us from A to B but we choose to do it with class and performance. Granted, the unit may be overkill but what's wrong with a little wretched excess?

Thanks NC...I thought the same thing...the trim on the deck is almost the exact texture and shade as the rings...it all looks so normal and right I cant stand it! I have never had a deck of such high quality...I cant wait for the amp and speakers now. Then I can turn it all off and listen to my stage III's!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ABCar
Well, I went against the advice of Rod Birch and the current trends in technology and installed a 2004 model McIntosh MX406 head unit. I could not resist the beauty and simplicity and quality of the MC. Plus, it really goes to the late-old school style that attracts me to the 993.

I think it is the perfect radio for this car and love the way it looks. So far it is the only upgrade on the audio system I have done so I am still on stock speakers and amp for now. The sound is much better already. I pod cable and charger cable to come along with McIntosh amp and unknown speaker upgrades.

Here are the first photos.
Hey Andy, the new HU looks great!

Now it it is time for speakers, amp and sub (ok more speakers)...

What's the plan?

Bob-
Old 06-03-2010, 12:14 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Hey Andy, the new HU looks great!

Now it it is time for speakers, amp and sub (ok more speakers)...

What's the plan?

Bob-
Hey Bob
Love the new avitar!
I have some Diamond Audio speakers that are coming out of our 2003 330i ZHP (for sale btw!). I know at least two of those will go in the fronts. The rears may fit too but I have to assess. I would like to get a McIntosh MC440 amp or equivelant (2X100 or 4X50) and a couple of 8" subs for the floor. But the first part of my plan involves you actually...

Make your (rather large please) check out to Andy Boesky... and mail it to...
If your check does not arrive soon I will just have to save my pennies and enjoy what I have for now. Now at least I have good sound, an I pod and CD for the car. I guess I can finally put away my cassettes from the late 80's!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow Andy! Even if it doesn't make ANY noise, it sure LOOKS good!!! Congrats.

As for why... Sure the "flat-6 soundtrack," "exhaust note," blah blah blah. Every once in a while it's nice to go to 11 with the windows down and the wind blowing through your hair.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

and a couple of 8" subs for the floor.
I went with one 10"...killer

But the first part of my plan involves you actually...
Hmmmmm?

Quick Reply: Audio question...Mcintosh