993 Forum 1995-1998

Audio question...Mcintosh

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Hey Gonzo, do happend to have any details on the mounting of your amp? That is a very nice installation.

TYIA

Bob-
Yo Bob.

The PPO (previous previous owner) had the work done and I actually never investigated the mounting until this morning. It's mounted to a large piece of MDF under the carpet. The bottom of the MDF is then secured to the chassis side members (the ones that run front to back) by way of galvanized steel brackets similar to these:

The difference is that they are longer and started out flat with no bend. They were bent to fit. The whole thing seems to rest on the gas tank, while the top of the MDF rests on the strut brace and is secured by some zip ties. It's solid and isn't going anywhere. Hope this helps! I'll go out and take some pics if you want. I'm just feeling a little lazy right now.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 PM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you planning to go to the Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...y=US&geodiff=1
I didn't even see this post. Unfortunately, I have a 20ft dumpster blocking the p-car in my garage. I/we decided to start a 9 month addition/gut to our 100 Victorian so I have to wait for the next haul away to get it out. It's has been killing me not being able to drive it over the last few weeks.

I just finished some mod's on the R so maybe I'll drive that down and say hi to everyone. What time are you guys getting together?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Yo Bob.

The PPO (previous previous owner) had the work done and I actually never investigated the mounting until this morning. It's mounted to a large piece of MDF under the carpet. The bottom of the MDF is then secured to the chassis side members (the ones that run front to back) by way of galvanized steel brackets similar to these:

The difference is that they are longer and started out flat with no bend. They were bent to fit. The whole thing seems to rest on the gas tank, while the top of the MDF rests on the strut brace and is secured by some zip ties. It's solid and isn't going anywhere. Hope this helps! I'll go out and take some pics if you want. I'm just feeling a little lazy right now.

Thanks Mike. My interest is how the MDF is connected to the car. Pic's would be great if you can find the time.

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 04-02-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
i know thats not where toolkit goes, but i keep compressed air/sealant/bike pump in spare's cavity
Can you elaborate? I was going to throw a can of Fix-a-flat in one of my cars, but I read on the can that it's no good for either:
a) any tire over 16" and/or
b) Z-rated tires
Now I have about 2+ cans that are useless and aging. Hey, I have a garage sale coming up. Mental note.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:01 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhale
I didn't even see this post. Unfortunately, I have a 20ft dumpster blocking the p-car in my garage. I/we decided to start a 9 month addition/gut to our 100 Victorian so I have to wait for the next haul away to get it out. It's has been killing me not being able to drive it over the last few weeks.

I just finished some mod's on the R so maybe I'll drive that down and say hi to everyone. What time are you guys getting together?
Jon, with nice wether forcasted for tomorrow, I'm guessing there will be a big turnout. The lot is not that big and fills up early. Apparently last month it was overflowing by about 9.

I plan to get there around 8:00 am. Hope to see you there.

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 04-02-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dcdude
Can you elaborate? I was going to throw a can of Fix-a-flat in one of my cars, but I read on the can that it's no good for either:
a) any tire over 16" and/or
b) Z-rated tires
Now I have about 2+ cans that are useless and aging. Hey, I have a garage sale coming up. Mental note.
i carry a product called "slime smart repair" a kit comprising tire sealant & 12V mini compressor.
the only thing it won't handle (according to instructions) are truck/tractor tires.
of my last 4 cars (all which i ran " spareless" & i consider 964 spareless as any tire plus 7yrs old is subject to failure) i had only 1 flat in last car. product worked ok, but i did drive slowly post repair. i was running on 285zr 19's

Last edited by raspberryroadster; 04-02-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 437 Posts

PS - Would the McIntosh be a theft magnet?

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 04-02-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 993 Audio Upgrade

So here's my setup. There was already a bee in my bonnet to upgrade my MB Quarts to Focal...but after seeing that Pioneer reference head unit....uggh will it ever end? I too thought about the McIntosh (and also the Becker Mexico because it looks so right). My current Alpine unit just looks so dated and out of place. My system really whomps though and the custom sub behind the driver's seat was a great call (if you are thinking about the same).

Here is a link to my process back when https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-of-pics.html

Lots of pics...

Any reviews on Focal vs. Dynaudio or others in that price cat?
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2010, 10:49 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Hey Jon, I don't use the rear speakers. Front stage only. The Dynaudios are very nice. The system does need the addition of a subwoofer. Stay tuned

Are you planning to go to the Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...y=US&geodiff=1

Bob-
Bob is right on the money about not running rear speakers. Stereo ideally comes from two sources and using back speakers will kill your soundstage and imaging.

I have been into car audio forever and run many nice speakers like Rainbow, Dynaudio, Scanspeak Revelator's. I just put in some Hybrid Audio L6's and I am simply blown away. They are a nice over-sized 6.5 that play smoothly up to 5k. The coolest thing about them is they have a reversed surround so they fit behind the factory non-hifi grills with no cutting

One more thing worth mentioning is that you do not need to go totally nuts with the Dynamat unless you are going for max SPL's. You would be surprised how good a few well placed strips can quit down a door.

There are a ton of nice small and light digital amps out now I would look at:
Arc audio KS 125.4
Kenwood XR-4S
JL Audio XD400/4
Alpine PDX
Attached Images   

Last edited by SuperUser; 04-03-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is how you can mount the amp in the trunk. I copied someone else's idea but made some changes. The top support is made from a piece of aluminum flat bar that I twisted and screwed to the top of the MDF. On the back I have some Stanley preformed brackets also from Home Depot. They tuck in behind the gas tank straps. I also made another bracket that is held by an existing bolt. Rod at Car Audio Innovations said he was familiar with this set-up.
Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
So here's my setup. There was already a bee in my bonnet to upgrade my MB Quarts to Focal...but after seeing that Pioneer reference head unit....uggh will it ever end? I too thought about the McIntosh (and also the Becker Mexico because it looks so right). My current Alpine unit just looks so dated and out of place. My system really whomps though and the custom sub behind the driver's seat was a great call (if you are thinking about the same).

Here is a link to my process back when https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-of-pics.html
Thanks Jordan, I am planning to do the same as you did with the sub woofer. Your build was actually my inspiration.

Bob-
Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Bob is right on the money about not running rear speakers. Stereo ideally comes from two sources and using back speakers will kill your soundstage and imaging.

I have been into car audio forever and run many nice speakers like Rainbow, Dynaudio, Scanspeak Revelator's. I just put in some Hybrid Audio L6's and I am simply blown away. They are a nice over-sized 6.5 that play smoothly up to 5k. The coolest thing about them is they have a reversed surround so they fit behind the factory non-hifi grills with no cutting

One more thing worth mentioning is that you do not need to go totally nuts with the Dynamat unless you are going for max SPL's. You would be surprised how good a few well placed strips can quit down a door.

There are a ton of nice small and light digital amps out now I would look at:
Arc audio KS 125.4
Kenwood XR-4S
JL Audio XD400/4
Alipine PDX
Very nice. If/when I get around to doing something, I will investigate the digital amps. I'm running a digital amp in my home setup (Lyngdorf TDAI 2200) right now and I like it quite a lot.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Very nice. If/when I get around to doing something, I will investigate the digital amps. I'm running a digital amp in my home setup (Lyngdorf TDAI 2200) right now and I like it quite a lot.
Wow,

Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 is super nice amp, are you running it active?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:16 AM
jainbaby
Racer

SuperUser, what did you use for a grille?

I am about to start a write up on my 993. I am doing a small audio system and an interior redo. Being that I work for JVC, the radio will be JVC. I will run either H audio, HAT, Dynaudio or Exodus mids (I have them all here).
Old 04-03-2010, 01:40 PM
pchansen1
Advanced

I too wanted a less flashy look. I originally had an Alpine 9883 installed but I wasn't happy with the menu hierarchy, the display would wash out on even a cloudy day, and there wasn't a built-in Bluetooth function. My solution was the new Kenwood KDC-BT945U (see herehttp://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT94...wAll=N&tp=5684. I also added a Soundstream STL2.560 two channel Amp located under the passenger seat. I tossed the factory Hi-Fi speaker units and added two-way Focal Access 165A1's to the doors. I kept the rear speakers as-is and used the deck's amp to power those. The Focal's fit nicely in the factory speaker hole without modification. I was also able to use the factory tweeter mounts by removing the stock Nokia tweets and hot-gluing the Focal tweet in it's place. I should also note that I was able to use a lot of the factory wiring. This includes the power wire for the amp. Looking at the wiring diagram for the original Nokia amp, there are actually two 14-gauge power wires feeding the amp. I soldered these two together and used both to power the Soundstream amp. If I were to use this amp to power a sub in the future, I'd install a proper 4 or 8 ga power wire. The result is a perfectly stock looking interior with a significantly upgraded sound. Clearly I could use a sub, but I'm not willing to sacrifice any leg room or backseat space yet. I still have two little ones who enjoy going for rides.
As far as the head unit goes, I'm pretty satisfied. A few gripes would be, again the menus aren't as intuitive as I'd like to see. Downloading your iPhones phonebook into the stereo is possible but seems cumbersome. It does do a pretty good job with your music library though. Also, the display looks pretty good, but when you're running through the menus the display is slow to react. I do like that fact that the head unit will accept a standard USB connection which means no buying a proprietary Kenwood cable to connect your device to this unit.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Audio question...Mcintosh