993 Forum 1995-1998

CDR-220 vs Becker Grandprix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CDR-220 vs Becker Grandprix?

I have a '96 993TT with the standard Hi-Fi system and the CDR-210. I want to upgrade the headunit for the following reasons.

-The sound quality is so-so and the max volume is low.
-I like a volume **** rather than a rocker button.
-I want to be able to connect my ipod directly.

The two obvious choices for those of us who want to retain the factory look seem to be the CDR-200 with the modified faceplate or the Becker Grandprix.

Can anyone give me the pros and cons of these two headunits?

Given that the Hi-Fi system has it's own amp does the headunit's built-in amp have any effect on the sound output?

Will either of these headunits make my stereo system sound louder/better?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

the CDR-220 also has an internal amp, though not a large one, maybe rated at 20w, but that is probably optimistic, IMHO. Sound quality is a matter of personal preference to some degree, and the Headunit will affect radio and CD sound, if you are playing an iPod, the head unit is mainly a pass through/switch.

The quality of your speakers will greatly affect tone quality as well, are you using factory Nokia speakers? they are probably all dried out and the baffles torn by now.

If you were to ONLY replace the headunit, and your speakers are shot, then overall, your system will probably still sound sub satisfactory.

It is odd that your volume is low, perhaps the amp is fried, or if the speakers are completely blown, the impedance could be causing low volume.

I have the CDR-220, and while there are better sounding headunits, it actually has a pretty decent tuner, and I hardly ever listen to CDs, opting for the iPod when I am not listening to the radio.

At the same time, I installed a good amp and good speakers.

If you only replace part of the system, you might still end up with poor sound quality, the system will only be as good as its weakest link.

There are plenty of threads on sound systems.

In response to the CDR-220 vs the Grandprix, both are Becker units, so sound between the two will not be substantially different, what you need to decide between the two are features, functions and looks. I am not familiar with the grand Prix, but since it is a Becker, I would guess that it looks reasonably factory. I know the 220 definitely does.

My recommendation is to compare the features side by side, and decide which ones you want more, but that one, couple it with a good amplifier and new speakers.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

I've been wanting to get a Grand Prix for a while. It looks factory, plus has all the modern conveniences like Bluetooth, iPod, etc. The 7990 has illumination to match our cars. But my understanding is that unit is now discontinued.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Jordan 27
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there's been a ton of discussion on this topic, but from a new 993 owner who very recently swapped a CR-210 for a CDR-220, trust me---the sound quality is a serious improvement. I also have the stock Hi-Fi system and thought that at some point I would change out the Nokia amp and factory speakers, but I am so satisfied with the improvement in sound quality with the 220 that I'll probably just leave them alone. Not to mention the ease of use with the ***** compared to the rockers.

FYI, the faceplate exchange with Becker took about two weeks from the time I sent the old one out until the new one arrived.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

I really recommend the Grand Prix. I got one with the iPod interface and an old 20GB ipod classic in the glove compartment. The sound quality is excellent, but i'm using an external amp. Bluetooth function is also great, I use a HTC Windows mobile phone.
There were a few of us in the Porsche owners club here in Norway who did a group buy some time ago. One of these guys deleted the Nokia amp and connected directly to the internal amplifier in the Grand Prix. Much better sound, even with the stock loudspeakers.
Best regards,
Tore
Old 04-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jordan 27
I know there's been a ton of discussion on this topic, but from a new 993 owner who very recently swapped a CR-210 for a CDR-220, trust me---the sound quality is a serious improvement. I also have the stock Hi-Fi system and thought that at some point I would change out the Nokia amp and factory speakers, but I am so satisfied with the improvement in sound quality with the 220 that I'll probably just leave them alone. Not to mention the ease of use with the ***** compared to the rockers.

FYI, the faceplate exchange with Becker took about two weeks from the time I sent the old one out until the new one arrived.
Great info. Just what I wanted to hear

Now I just need to find a CDR-220. Does it matter what year or model the donor Porsche is?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a little more money to spend. Check out the Becker Indianapolis. Looks way cool with all the above functions plus sat-nav built in.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuner1
Great info. Just what I wanted to hear

Now I just need to find a CDR-220. Does it matter what year or model the donor Porsche is?
http://www.beckerautosound.com/

Here you get a refurbished unit direct from Becker with warranty and modified faceplate. Give them a call.

I have it in my CAB with iPod connector and love it.

Jack
Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Indianapolis in my car with amber light.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tropheus
http://www.beckerautosound.com/

Here you get a refurbished unit direct from Becker with warranty and modified faceplate. Give them a call.

I have it in my CAB with iPod connector and love it.

Jack

Thank you.

I just placed my order for the CDR-220 with faceplate mod + ipod cord Not cheap for ten year old tech but then we all know how much these old relic 993s cost to buy
Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuner1
Thank you.

I just placed my order for the CDR-220 with faceplate mod + ipod cord Not cheap for ten year old tech but then we all know how much these old relic 993s cost to buy
I also did an upgrade of my speakers with OEM look from this guys.

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com

Great fitment.

Jack
Old 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to chime in a little late on this, but put a WTB message on the 996 board. That's what I did a few months back and there were a number of guys willing to sell at a fraction of what Becker gets for a re-furb unit. I got a nice unit for pretty cheap, with manual, code, etc. You still have to pony up the $100 for the faceplate upgrade, but the starting point is much better. Also, I think the CDR220 came in some boxters too, so that might be a good place to look as well.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
paa502
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to Becker within the last week and was told the modified faceplate is only avail if you buy the stereo. Seems Becker is not making just the revised faceplate anymore.

Which may be a problem for me as I have basically a new CDR-220 with the reg one.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by paa502
I spoke to Becker within the last week and was told the modified faceplate is only avail if you buy the stereo. Seems Becker is not making just the revised faceplate anymore.

Which may be a problem for me as I have basically a new CDR-220 with the reg one.
I thought it was a modification vice a different one, I would call them and ask if they can modify yours.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

I wonder if the CDR-220 will still operate my factory CD changer? Hopfully it will but if not I will yank the CD changer to save 1.5lbs

Quick Reply: CDR-220 vs Becker Grandprix?