Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 03:55 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Did mine on the 95 a month or so ago. Well I served/consumed a few beverages while my good friend changed them. Those who can do, those who can't drink.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELP!

I replaced the passenger side exhaust lifters today and upon startup there is a clanking sound (kind of like a pan being tapped with a wooden spoon). I soaked the new lifters in oil overnight and was expecting some clicking, but this just seems to be a lot louder than I was expecting, and also seemed louder near from the engine bay than underneath the engine. I didn't leave it running for more than a minute or two out of fear I messed something up...

Does this sound normal, or should I take apart to check?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:48 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I prefilled mine and it sounded like all hell was breaking loose in the engine when I started it. I shut it down after a minute, then read some old posts and decided to take it for a short drive. As soon as I got to 3000 rpm under load it stopped clacking and has been perfect ever since.

I run 20W 50 and it was pretty cool then so I figured that had something to do with it.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:57 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Mine made lots of noise as well on initial startup. A short, light throttle/low rpm drive and everything was right with the world.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, that is making me feel a LOT better! Will go for a short spin this evening and hopefully it will clear up.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Went for a very short drive (3-5 min) and the noise settled down at idle, but with some throttle it still sounds pretty bad. I would almost equate it to a screw banging around the intake manifold--there doesn't seem to be noise coming from down near that cover...

During the drive there was a slight bogging at around 2k rpm, and the idle got a little on the low-side. Maybe something got messed up when lifting the car from the engine base?

So is the consensus that a slightly longer drive is needed, or should I disassemble and take another look at things?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

lifting from the engine doesn't damage anything.

id give it a bit of a longer drive so long as oil pressure is ok
Old 07-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Went for a very short drive (3-5 min) and the noise settled down at idle, but with some throttle it still sounds pretty bad. I would almost equate it to a screw banging around the intake manifold--there doesn't seem to be noise coming from down near that cover...

During the drive there was a slight bogging at around 2k rpm, and the idle got a little on the low-side. Maybe something got messed up when lifting the car from the engine base?

So is the consensus that a slightly longer drive is needed, or should I disassemble and take another look at things?
Two possiblities:
- this noise is on the left bank. I've noticed it as well on my car (before and after all left's 6 lifters done) and two other 993, so it seems that a slight clanging noise is normal on that side.
- this noise is very ugly and/or on the right side. When you install the rockers you must check carefully that the contact point cam/lifter is in the right position. Actually it's possible that the lifter contact surface is 'turned' upside down when you put the rocker and therefore the contact may be really bad...
Old 07-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Elonash
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic_993
So it IS possible to replace all 6 exhaust lifters with the engine in car ?!?
I also replaced the intake ones on the left bank. It's more work to get the black metal sheet off.
Be very very careful with the screw that hold the exhaust bracket, very easy to strip the head, and you may also meet this issue of aluminium and steel welded together (ask me how I know), so better put some anti-seize on the thread...
Old 07-26-2010, 02:24 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Elonash
Two possiblities:
- this noise is on the left bank. I've noticed it as well on my car (before and after all left's 6 lifters done) and two other 993, so it seems that a slight clanging noise is normal on that side.
- this noise is very ugly and/or on the right side. When you install the rockers you must check carefully that the contact point cam/lifter is in the right position. Actually it's possible that the lifter contact surface is 'turned' upside down when you put the rocker and therefore the contact may be really bad...
I have a feeling this could be the problem. Will check that out first. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Finally was able to get back to the car tonight... I would not recommend this shop to anyone --the bolts for the lifter arm were not properly tightened, which caused the commotion. Got them squared away and within 3 minutes of drive the gentle tapping was gone (and the original banging was never heard again!).
Old 07-29-2010, 12:04 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
Finally was able to get back to the car tonight... I would not recommend this shop to anyone --the bolts for the lifter arm were not properly tightened, which caused the commotion. Got them squared away and within 3 minutes of drive the gentle tapping was gone (and the original banging was never heard again!).
excellent...

the good news is that this won't usually cause any damage

glad it was solved!

Quick Reply: A few beers and 3 lifters later..