Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Any 993 owners with a line on a Audi RS4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any 993 owners with a line on a Audi RS4?

With limited product in the Canadian market and a dollar at par, my search for a new daily driver has me looking South as I did with the 993.

I have decided a RS4 would be a good choice based on my requirement for a higher hp, 4 door manual transmission AWD in a low-key package.

I've searched all the "normal" places: trader, cars.com, CL etc. and thought that I should probably throw a post in here as well. This community has been a great source for information and advice and it would be nice to purchase from a friendly, trusted source.

Ideally I would be looking for a 2008 RS4 with premium package etc., preferably white, silver or grey, under 30K miles and in the mid 40K price point.

Please let me know if you hear of anything or if you have any other suggestions based on the criteria above.

Much appreciated,
Bob
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
With limited product in the Canadian market and a dollar at par, my search for a new daily driver has me looking South as I did with the 993.

I have decided a RS4 would be a good choice based on my requirement for a higher hp, 4 door manual transmission AWD in a low-key package.

I've searched all the "normal" places: trader, cars.com, CL etc. and thought that I should probably throw a post in here as well. This community has been a great source for information and advice and it would be nice to purchase from a friendly, trusted source.

Ideally I would be looking for a 2008 RS4 with premium package etc., preferably white, silver or grey, under 30K miles and in the mid 40K price point.

Please let me know if you hear of anything or if you have any other suggestions based on the criteria above.

Much appreciated,
Bob
There is a dark blue one sitting in the parking lot at my office complex. Its pretty hot. Unfortunately its not mine and not for sale.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

A beastly machine!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

A beastly machine with some problems related to direct injection.

From what I've read, DI is turning out to be a major pain for many car manufacturers. Unlike fuel injection, with direct injection the back of all intake valves never get fuel flow. Over time it will accumulate lot of deposit on the back of the valve and cause cold start misfire. The severe ones will cause lack of power, stumble.

The best way is to remove intake manifold to see the valves and clean them. You can do it yourself but you may not have tool to replace injector seals. It needs to be done about once a year on an RS4, and if you don't clean it yourself, you're looking at about $1000-$1500 to have it done for you.

Also, this is a major downside to DI that most if not all cars with DI will have.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i have an rs4 18k miles 2008 avus silver premium package with exhaust, revo tune and a k and n filter, i woulddn't let go of it for under 50k however if you make me an offer i'll consider it. pm me if interested
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 PM
TxnBluDvl
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This car has been for sale for about 6 months. Seems nicely optioned and it probably has a semi-motivated seller. No affiliation:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1657951472.html

If I didn't already have 3 cars (and living in SF), I'd probably consider picking it up.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
A beastly machine with some problems related to direct injection.

From what I've read, DI is turning out to be a major pain for many car manufacturers. Unlike fuel injection, with direct injection the back of all intake valves never get fuel flow. Over time it will accumulate lot of deposit on the back of the valve and cause cold start misfire. The severe ones will cause lack of power, stumble.

The best way is to remove intake manifold to see the valves and clean them. You can do it yourself but you may not have tool to replace injector seals. It needs to be done about once a year on an RS4, and if you don't clean it yourself, you're looking at about $1000-$1500 to have it done for you.

Also, this is a major downside to DI that most if not all cars with DI will have.

Yes, while the problem isn't limited to the RS4 it's an issue for consideration - much like the CEL and worn valve guides on our beloved 993's.

In the end, I liken it to dating a supermodel with a lazy eye.

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
Fletcher Jones Audi in Chicago has a 2007 in Black with about 20K miles listed for high $40s. I am sure it could be bought for mid 40s.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

thanks guys - keep them comin!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be patient. Audi was doing some SERIOUS trunk money on the new 08s that were still on dealer lots last year. $15k+ off sticker was not unheard of. You will find some people that bought these prior to the big incentives, and because they paid $73k+ for the car, they are going to want more for it used. Others that got the best incentives will have less in the car. If I was looking for a lower mileage 08 RS4 I would look to pay $50k at the max, but mid $40s would be my target
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I would be patient. Audi was doing some SERIOUS trunk money on the new 08s that were still on dealer lots last year. $15k+ off sticker was not unheard of. You will find some people that bought these prior to the big incentives, and because they paid $73k+ for the car, they are going to want more for it used. Others that got the best incentives will have less in the car. If I was looking for a lower mileage 08 RS4 I would look to pay $50k at the max, but mid $40s would be my target
That's very insightful mrsullivan - thanks. I see from your signature you had one of these - how did you like it?
Much appreiated,
Bob
Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Found one!!! Thanks ....
Old 03-28-2010, 09:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a coworker with a line on one -- let me know if you are interested
Old 03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I have a coworker with a line on one -- let me know if you are interested

Thanks Chris - I did a deal on one over the weekend so I'm good to go - much appreciated.
Bob
Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob,

You can't tease us like that and not share the details...

Quick Reply: Any 993 owners with a line on a Audi RS4?