Sponsored by:

about me and my search...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts
Default about me and my search...

I thought that after the last two days adventure in my 993 hunt, I'd throw everything out on the table...

Who I am...48 years old, married, with a beautiful 9 year old daughter. I just spent the last 6-8 years completing massive home remodeling, addition's, paying off mortage,paying off credit cards, etc. All in preperation for the mid-life crisis car. I always planned to buy my dream Porsche with the proceeds from my rental property sale-but put that $54K+ in the house. Then when the mortage was paid...that was in 2008. Then when credit card debt was gone...well that was a couple of months ago.

Yesterday, my wife and I signed for a hefty Home equity line of credit. That credit line is intended to do; debt consolidation(balance of existing home equity), a nice addition to the out building to make more room in the existing
24x40 garage , and finally buy the car.

Cars have been a passion all my life. As a spoiled rotten only child, my Dad had me racing motocross, carts, and snowmobiles. I did bracket drag racing in high school in my muscle car days-Mopar fan here. The carting eventually lead me to some limited road racing, but lots and lots of other SCCA stuff. For years I was a fixture at all local autocrosses, rally's, and ice racing events. I spent tens of thousands of dollars on every concieveable thing other than Porsche's...I really don't know why. Although in my defense, Porsche's are kinda rare here(still) in Central New York. My childhood friends always tell me I have talked about Porsche's for as long as they can remember.

I do have limited previous Pcar ownership experience-only drove a 911 for 5 out of my 32 years of driving. The last garage addition, was a single purpose shrine for the 911 I had at the time. The walls are covered in Porsche posters-the vast majority being 84-89 Turbo's-my long time lust. There are actually a handful of 993 in there also, as well as some F1, and bicycle stuff. For over 13 of those driving years, I spent a fortune on an Audi. Simply put, I miss the fun that car was in the long winter months.

What I would ultimately like..a C4 or C4S-a driver, not a low mileage queen. My max willing to spend budget is $40K, that is including shipping, sales tax, PPI, and a mod/maintenance budget of maybe $4-5K. So...work that backwards, and I'm looking for a selling price ceiling of probably $32 to maybe $34K.

Colors are still open, sunroof and heated seats are at the top of the list of options. I've searched about the seats, and they seem to function well. I loved them on my Audi, and really miss them on the cold days in my current DD. I am interested in a lowered ride height car-still unsure on my personal preferred method. Exhaust mods would be at the top of my list too.

I actually think a NB car would be more attractive to me(price point aside), as I really like the look of the full splitter(RSR?), side skirts, and some kinda rear spoiler options I've seen on some of your cars. Obviously a car with some of the above mod's would be a $$ plus.

I live in Central New York, and I do intend to spoil myself by driving this car in more than the sumer months. Eventually, whatever I get will have a winter wheel set also.

I throw out this load of crap to any potential RL'ers who are contemplating selling their beloved 993 drivers. I care for the vehicles that grace my driveway/garage, and I would provide a good home for your car. Quite simply, comparing the cars available thru private listings vs dealer cars, isn't even close in the value department. Anything bone stock kinda doesn't appeal to me, since that simply means I gotta spend more to get it near to my liking. A well cared for car with 60-80K miles, with desireable mods, would be ideal for me.

Hopefully, this post doesn't make me a pathetic
Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 AM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with the search, hopefully you can buy from a fellow rennlister
Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed this one (no affiliation...) recently:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ack-black.html

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 AM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I noticed this one (no affiliation...) recently:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ack-black.html

Good luck in your search.
Sounds to me like the one listed above is what your looking for. And based on the price your looking for, a 95' C4 would be doable with maybe less mileage on the clock.
The search is part of the fun! Good luck!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Default saw that car

looks nice, although I don't personally care for the "bright" wheels. It has many very nice mods, and is priced fairly. However, I REALLY want heated seats, som I wait...

yeah, the search continues...both fun and frustrating all at the same time. Kinda like parenthood, or marriage isn't it?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:31 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know why but this thread made me think of this:

"Very well. Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, an Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my *********. There really is nothing like a shorn *******, it's breathtaking I suggest you try it."
Old 03-21-2010, 12:43 PM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice...Dr. EVIL
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
looks nice, although I don't personally care for the "bright" wheels. It has many very nice mods, and is priced fairly. However, I REALLY want heated seats, som I wait...
I wouldn't bring heated seats into the equation. You can have them put in relatively inexpensively.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus

"Very well. Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, an Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my *********. There really is nothing like a shorn *******, it's breathtaking I suggest you try it."
YES! Funny stuff.

Originally Posted by matt777
I wouldn't bring heated seats into the equation. You can have them put in relatively inexpensively.
I would agree. Seats can be easily upgraded. I would not pass on a great car because of the seats.

That said, nice intro, and good luck with your search. I envy you. I remember when I was looking....enjoy!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:08 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep, and while your 'in there' have them converted to soft-back sport seats for another $400....
Old 03-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Default that's aw3some!

Originally Posted by MrBonus

I let my then 8 year old daughted watch Austin Powers with me...she DID get all the adult humor. My wife couldn't believe I let her. Now my daughter can't wait to see the 2nd, and 3rd ones.

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention that the wheels can be repainted.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Not to mention that the wheels can be repainted.
Or replaced. I looked very day for four months and don't know what to do with all my free time now...
Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM
buzztt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
YES! Funny stuff.

I would agree. Seats can be easily upgraded. I would not pass on a great car because of the seats.

That said, nice intro, and good luck with your search. I envy you. I remember when I was looking....enjoy!
i also wouldnt pass on a great car because of the rims, you can probably easily sell them and buy new ones wihtout dropping too much money, or have them refinished for relatively short money
Old 03-21-2010, 08:24 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buzztt
i also wouldnt pass on a great car because of the rims, you can probably easily sell them and buy new ones wihtout dropping too much money, or have them refinished for relatively short money
+2 Plan for the extra money swap the rims and seat out later. If you give your self too many restrictions you'll never find a car.

Quick Reply: about me and my search...