Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Vertex auto's tranny exch program

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM
air klwd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I 1st got the car I had it gone thru doing brakes, full service. the tranny fluid looked grim ( original) and what I would consider excessive material on plug.then serviced with Mobile one then the problems surfaced...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 AM
air klwd
Instructor

Chris what fluid would you recommend? Thanks Harry
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Mobil Delvac. Good stuff.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
As we first found out the hard way in about 1988, when the first 3.2L G50 cars hit their first service interval? Oops!
Interesting comment, especially since my gbox has a gallon of Swepco in it now.

Can you or Chris elaborate on the problem with the Swepco 201 and the G50? I did lots of searches before changing but found no issues. Since changing, my cold weather (for Cali anyway) shifting has greatly improved and the overall performance of the box is great.

Does the Swepco lead to premature wear issues, or is it simply a tactile difference in shifting performance???

Thanks guys.

Last edited by VNTGSPD; 03-12-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Interesting comment, especially since my gbox has a gallon of Swepco in it now.

Can you or Chris elaborate on the problem with the Swepco 201 and the G50? I did lots of searches before changing but found no issues. Since changing, my cold weather (for Cali anyway) shifting has greatly improved and the overall performance of the box is great.

Does the Swepco lead to premature wear issues, or is it simply a tactile difference in shifting performance???

Thanks guys.
I'm not sure there's a problem problem. Others here are way more up to date. We quit using it immediately after those "more in the know" (aka the So Cal shops where word filtered to us in Phoenix) said their customers were bitching about shifting issues. And these were cars 15-30K miles from factory new at the time. I simply avoided Swepco on the non-901/915 boxes from then on.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:48 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I think it revolves around the friction modifiers in the oil that determine shift quality, all else being equal.

The Swepco is excellent for the 915 box, but less attractive for newer boxes. That said, in Dave's situation where he has a smooth shifting box with Swepco, perhaps the difference is his Syncro's are in better shape than others who dont have luck with the Swepco. Dont know really.

The cars I've changed back to Mobil1 with shift improvements from Swepco may have been coincidental, but its happened many times in my experience.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitely listen to the advice about trying a different oil first. If you are using the Mobil 1 that you get at your local auto parts store you may want to try the Delvac version as mentioned above. Also, when coming to a stop, I slow down in 2nd, as the car stops, maybe the last 3-4 feet, I slip in to neutral, let the clutch out for just a moment then depress it again and gently slide into first as the car stops, goes in smooth as can be.

Not trying to start and oil thread, but has anyone tried Redline Shockproof. I use it in my motorcycles and it seems to be well thought of on the m/c sites.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken & Chris - thanks for clarifying.

I'll stick with what I have until the next flush or until shift quality degrades. Then I'll try the Mobil Delvac as suggested. Love this place!

Airklwd - you might start a thread looking for a short meeting with some Rennlisters at a coffee place or something to evaluate similar cars. I am sure there will be some takers.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM
air klwd
Instructor

Herg's has service my 993's they are great people; well I could do with out Mark...but Laura, Eric , Jimmy are wonderful ( just kidding about Mark )......my 98 C2S shifts like butter , the 98 Cab...just got serviced with Mobile Delvac.....and wow........she is not happy....
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Not trying to start and oil thread, but has anyone tried Redline Shockproof. I use it in my motorcycles and it seems to be well thought of on the m/c sites.
I recommend against the Redline oils in the G50 family of gearboxes. In my experience it's just too slick for the synchronizers to properly do their job and accelerates the wear on them.

I see people suggest it for people who have issues with their 1-2 shifts when it's cold out. It does work better than the Delvac under those circumstances. But try it out at the track on a hot 100 degree day. It's that other end of the spectrum that it falls flat on it's face and shifting gets difficult. I tell people to properly warm their car up, shift slowly first thing in the morning, and just be patient with it until everything is up to temperature.

If the car is 100% a street car, Redline probably won't hurt anything. But if the car gets driven in a spirited fashion, either on backcountry roads or the track, I would think twice before I put it in there.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:35 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I recommend against the Redline oils in the G50 family of gearboxes. In my experience it's just too slick for the synchronizers to properly do their job and accelerates the wear on them.

I see people suggest it for people who have issues with their 1-2 shifts when it's cold out. It does work better than the Delvac under those circumstances. But try it out at the track on a hot 100 degree day. It's that other end of the spectrum that it falls flat on it's face and shifting gets difficult. I tell people to properly warm their car up, shift slowly first thing in the morning, and just be patient with it until everything is up to temperature.

If the car is 100% a street car, Redline probably won't hurt anything. But if the car gets driven in a spirited fashion, either on backcountry roads or the track, I would think twice before I put it in there.
I agree. Redline is magic in BMW gearboxes, but less desirable in G50s. I used to use Redline in my old g50/20. It was okay, but shifting was slightly less than smooth. Use only Delvac in my g50/31, shifts like butter (even when downshifting to 1st gear down on the move).

Quick Reply: Vertex auto's tranny exch program