Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Someone asked to see the seats from the back of the car. Unfortunately this is all I have.....its a bit high but you can get a good view of the CF. Ive also included an interior shot with flash that gives a better understanding of the CF weave on the seat backs....
Attached Images   
Old 09-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Youyou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Macca,
Awesome looking car!
Just a few quick questions and pardon me if they've been answered before.
I would like to change my stock hid's to 6000k's.
I have a 997 Turbo coming in about a week or so. It's comes with the Lightronics xenons.
Do you know what kind of bulbs they used back then? D1S D2S etc.

LED's! I'm a huge fan...
Where can i add led's in the car?
Can i change the fogs to LED's ?
And most importantly links to where i can find all this stuff would be awesome.
Ignition ring is definitely something i'd like to change as well. Can you point me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Youyou,

993 uses H1 bulbs for main beam. Same for high beam. H3 for fog.

6000k I found too blue so chaged to 5000k for lights and fogs. looks much closer to the factory which was 4700k.

I used leds for all instrument back lights including main dash and dials, glovebox, interior lights, trunk and engine by, rear plate lights. I also used LED for keeper lights as part of techart light/fog system. The problem I found with LED is you can spend alot of time and money egtting everything looking right at the correct brightness and colour. Then they move the technology along and you feel th eneed to change again!!! I have $100s of LEDS I bought, tried and didnt use/like! Superbrightleds.com was where I found mine.

Alloy Ignition surround try porscheshop.co.uk or design911.co.uk - not sure if they make the billet ones any longer...

Cheers
M
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM
2L8IWON
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bud, I am new here and must admit that your car is one of the most awesome 993s I have ever seen! When I actually get mine I will be borrowing many of your ideas; namely the mirrors and wheels. I LOVE it. Congrats, keep up the good work.

- Jesse
Old 10-11-2010, 01:02 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any idea what it weighs now?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Jesse. Thanks so much fo the compliements. I just hope that one day I can capture the car as good as it looks in the flesh. Both the blue and the silver are notoriously hard to photograph and until now Ive had sub standard gear, poor locations and cloudy days. Im hoping to get some professional pictures taken over at Xmas which should give you a much better idea of how it looks in the flesh. In real life the colour keyed highlights do work very well and are subtle enough....

Hi Noah. Im down to 1335kg/2940lb - this is "wet" weight with everything I would usually have in the vehicle to go for a drive (maps, CDs, sunnies, Valentine One, Bluetooth kit, spare, First aid kit etc etc etc). If I take verything out of the car and just measure wet weight is closer to 2905lb. Id like to get it to 2850ish lb but have decided that will be expensive and hard. I dont want to loose air con, sunroof, heated rear window with wiper or standard door cards with storage. I want my wife to still come away for long trips with me in the car!

Cheers
M
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm about where you are, a little lighter. Like you, I'm keeping the HVAC, sound deadening, etc. I'm down to 2,800 even. Fiberglass hood and replacing the lower dash with a G50 Carrera/early 964 (non-airbag) lower dash, which weighs virtually nothing, are a big help. I've got a manual steering rack in my car and deleted the entire PS system as well. That and RS flywheel, deleted rear flip-down seats, RS heater tube, cat bypasses, RS Recaros, and a few other things.

A 2,800-pound 993 is just an entirely different beast than the stock weight. The RS gears/flywheel are the icing on the cake....
Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Well Merry Xmas everybody!

Finally i have had a chance to take a few snaps of the latest (and hopefully last for a while!) round of modifications to the 993.

In the relentless search for 300 bhp and 260lbft torque the injectors were stripped out and reconditioned. A good thing too as even with 44k miles on them they were apparently filthy and one of them was sticking open! We sent the Steve Wong chip back to Steve in the states with the latest set of detailed AFR readings acquired during the September Dyno session and he custom remapped the chip and returned it. The intake manifolds were stripped off the car and painted steel grey to colour key with the wheels and other highlights. They look excellent IMHO.

While the manifolds were out we took out the factory sound pad which was starting to sag (but not crack) and put in the Ultimate Sound Pad, a worthwhile addition, as its a supurb quality piece. The stock airbox was removed along with the clutch snorkle and all associated paraphanalia. the clutch breather mod was made (essentially a brass mesh with frame and the engine tin ware updated to the tipo type without the gaping hole.

Lastly for the engine we took out the factory steel single pully halves and replaced with gold annodised lightweight units. The factory piece is heavy and the new assembly weighs a thrid of the old. not sure its good for any extra HP but certainly reduces reciprocating mass.

A few extra interior cosmetic changes included the steel grey beadblasted stainless rear engine release handle via Tim a Rennlisted (great product beautiful quality), an billet alloy fuel filler release **** to match the other billet items on the dash and a BK Universal FE bracket with SafeCraft billet allloy quick release extinguisher bracket (real pieces of art these parts and much recommended for looks, versatility and durability). Lastly we changed out the Classic Grey CF bucket seat inserts for ones in grey Alancantera....

For external cosmetics we removed Gerts FPB and had that painted balck so its now "invisible" looking front on at the car. That made a huge visual improvement as the stainless bar did tend to become noticeable.

RUF supplied the A pillar aero devices which were painted to match and installed. I think you will agree they blend in well. they give the ca a slightly more streamlined look in person as the factory seams here do date the car....

Handling wise the only thing left to do this time was to pin the front tie rods as per Rennlist modification. This has sharpened up steering nicely!

Ive attached a few pictures below for those who are interested. I really love the clean engine bay look and excellent ventalation. We will be running a dyno and weighing session soon to see how close we have got to the magic 300 bhp/260lbft and 1300 kg weight.
Attached Images               
Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Mmmm. Not the best quality pictures im sorry. Lightening and balance all wrong and Picassa affects to try and remove shadow distort colour. Here are a few more that hopefully give truer representation.....
Attached Images    
Old 12-29-2010, 05:14 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, she gets better with every refinement

Link or details for the "Ultimate Sound Pad"?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate. I got Ultimate Sound pad on ebay like many others from this vendor.....

Robert Breshears
Applied Business Concepts
222 Lagoon Ave
Wilmington, CA 90744 U.S.A.
310-834-3600
310-326-3913 [FAX]
bob@appbiz.com
Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Thanks! Also, do you have any issues with stalling on the LWF? Wondering if you have the fix applied on the Wong chip and if that's been effective for you.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip. I have RS LWFC on Dec 1993 build ROW 993 and no stalling issues with SW chip customised for stalling on NVR cars and an "idle adaptation" performed by my Porsche main Dealer using their PST2 tool (I have no idea whats involved). All vaccum lines were checked when LWFC installed earlier in the year along with SW chip, ISV was cleaned. I have no smog gear (SAI) being ROW car.....

Cheers
M
Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Thanks again
Old 12-29-2010, 06:09 AM
Carbon Marcus 964
Instructor

Location: I´m from Germany 40 miles away of Zuffenhausen Porsche´s hometown
Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

the car looks great , fantastic

here the last CF parts you can get

Last edited by Carbon Marcus 964; 02-08-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!