diminished value opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 PM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diminished value opinions?

Hey guys!

I'm looking at a car that has a damage history (two owners ago) and was apparently fixed very well, but has a black eye on carfax.

The accident involved front and rear, with airbag deploy, and vehicle tow. I'll get more info if possible, but I'll have to see.

I know this is a big gray area, but what's the consensus here on the impact (no pun) on the price of a decent C4S in otherwise solid and good condition.

I am only trying to guage the potential price impact if I try to resell in a few years...

Thanks!!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Does the car's asking price currently reflect the "black eye"?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 AM
zechunique
Racer

Thanks ilko -

No. The current owner was unaware of the issue (until I found it). He bought the car from his brother a couple years ago, who bought it shortly after the accident (2002). It appears the data base at that time did not reflect the accident, and it has not been looked at again until now. The current owner also made some substantial performance improvements to the car, expecting to keep it long term.

I have a pretty good deal on this car, which almost fits my desires other than this issue, so I am pretty close to pulling the trigger, but we had talked pricing prior to my getting this data - current owner was slow in getting me the VIN, and I was always careful to predicate my assesments on the car being as presented to me, so no foul on my part (I think).

I particularly appreciate your input on this...

Thanks!!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knock 25% off, if it was repaired correctly. But since the guy didn't know it was repaired, I'd have an expert look at it first.

If the repair was less than perfect I'd walk (likely run) away.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The history will always follow the car and make it less valuable, which could certainly make it a challenge to sell in a few years time. If you decide to trade the car in, the dealer will most likely run a report just like you did which will at the very least prompt further investigation. All the modifications in the world can't take the underlying damage away. If you are very interested in the car take it to a reputable Porsche facility in your area to go over the car front to back. Why would the current owner be slow in getting you the VIN? You should be getting a super deal on this car not a pretty good deal. I think there is much more to this story than you have seen or heard about.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I would ask the seller for a further discount based on a comprehensive visual inspection by a knowledgeable shop. I'm personally not a fan of cars with "stories" so unless everything has been repaired to perfection I'd walk. It appears that the repairs weren't documented, based on the fact that the prior owners weren't aware of the damage. So that's another negative. That's my ¢2.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 AM
zechunique
Racer

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

25% if repaired right - wow. I'm glad I asked.

To be fair, I shouldn't have said "slow to get me the VIN" three days is not that slow really - I was just moving a little fast - I don't like to waste anyone's time...

Also, I have been suprised by a couple cosmetic issues (more recent than the 2001 accident) that did not flesh out in our first couple discusssions. They were clearly described on an ebay ad from a month ago (car was almost sold in that auction) but not in the current ad that I have responded to, and were not mentioned until the seller sent me a link to the previous ebay ad.

I think this all sounds a little shadier than it is - but I do have a few bells and whistles going off...

Thanks for the above (and any additional) opinions.

As always, I wll be looking for ways to pay back into this fantastic knowlege bank!!

you guys are the bomb.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is nothing worse than a 'story' car, especially one that was NOT disclosed. Run far away unless you can absolutely steal it, and I mean at least 50% off a reasonable price. When you are done with the car, then you can unload it for real cheap with full disclosure and not feel bad about it.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say walk, no matter what the price. There are plenty good no-stories cars out there. Resale on a car like this will not be easy, is that really a problem you want to have?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
I know this is a big gray area, but what's the consensus here on the impact (no pun) on the price of a decent C4S in otherwise solid and good condition.
Why bother with it when there are other examples for sale.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:02 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

I've followed the thread but have seen no price, year or details about the car. To say "knock 25 or 50% off the price" is meaningless until all the facts can be ascertained. Give us the facts (mileage, color, condition, options, upgrades, etc) and I'm sure you'll get a more accurate estimate of where the price should be. If there is no frame or structural damage and a good Porsche independent gives their approval, I would not hesitate to purchase it, especially if the upgrades you were planning to do have already been done.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:24 PM
zechunique
Racer

Thanks deadhead - good points.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default what he said...

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I've followed the thread but have seen no price, year or details about the car. To say "knock 25 or 50% off the price" is meaningless until all the facts can be ascertained. Give us the facts (mileage, color, condition, options, upgrades, etc) and I'm sure you'll get a more accurate estimate of where the price should be. If there is no frame or structural damage and a good Porsche independent gives their approval, I would not hesitate to purchase it, especially if the upgrades you were planning to do have already been done.
again, what's the price, the year, color, options, mods?

I'm in the C4, C4S hunt also, and all I see is 30-50K cars at dealers, for $45-60K(C4s).

Maybe he isn't worried about resale, I'm really not. I plan on owning my car for many, many years. I would jump on a correctly rebuilt, authentic, nicely modded 993 C4S-at a fire sale price.

Some of these cars appear to be priced like there is $10k cash in the glove box for christ sake. If I wanted to spend $55K on an awd WB, I'd buy a damn Turbo!

I'm sure that Truspeed, Victory, and others-will have the majority of those 2S &4S's for quite a while at those prices.

Get a PPI, if it checks out, it's got some mods you want, as well as the options you want, and an acceptable color both in and out-buy the damn car.

The benchmark was set here two weeks ago by a very nice 96 C4S, blk/tan, 80K miles, 3 owner-all records, PSS9's, heated seats(my must have), etc...for asking price of $34.8K. That car left state side en route to France.

I wasn't ready then(money wise), and not my fav color combo, but that car had it all. That's where I honestly feel the market is for the WB. I read the ad, and said...wow, that's a great price. I read the other high $40-50K ad's for cars with slightly lower mileage, but less history/documentation, and no mods...and instantly feel they are overpriced.

Get it checked out by a shop that specializes in the cars. If it checks out, pull the trigger. Then get it home, polish it up pretty, and then beat it like a red headed stepchild.**

**no disrespect impressed nor implied to any red headed RL stepchildren
Old 02-20-2010, 11:18 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

imho, it all depends on why you are buying the car, how you plan to use it, and your attitude toward resale.
If you are planning to use it as a daily driver, plus AX, track days and drive the heck out of it for 8-10 years...then you might not care all that much about resale value and as long as the car was fixed right, it will be of little consequence to you. Judging from the fact that you asked the question to begin with, maybe this scenario is not as likely.
If, on the other hand, you are looking at it as a 'toy' that will spend lots of time in your garage and being detailed after Sunday drives, and you are choosing a 993 because you think it will hold its value well, may be collectibe someday etc... then this is likely not the car for you, because as others have said, the 'black eye' will follow it forever.
So it really boils down to what you want from the car and, of course, how much of a discount you can grind due to the history... someone is going to have to take the hit for the diminished value, no reason it should be you. So if you can get a smokin' deal on it, and scenario #1 fits your plans, go for it. Otherwise just wait until you find the right one.
As far as the C4S that sold for $34.8K recently... one data point does not a trend make...that's all I'll say about that.

Quick Reply: diminished value opinions?