Sponsored by:

Insurance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
It doesn't cover daily drivers. I don't see a mileage limit but it doesn't drive to work, grocery getting, etc.
tks!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Funny, I pointed out the same fact to my insurance yesterday while inquiring about a hypothetical third car. Why can't I have fire and theft for each car individually and a policy to cover accident damage for whatever car I happen to be driving! Needless to say this is not in their interest.
The insurance agent looked at me kind of funny when I asked about multi-motorcycle insurance while I was visiting Austria. He said, "you can only drive one at a time".

Over there, one licence plate along with one insurance covers you for up to three motorcycles (can't comment if that also applies to cars). Your rate is based on the highest risk vehicle. Fire & theft is necessary for each vehicle which makes sense.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful Car Alex.....I'll always be ready to take her back into my family:-)

I paid a tad under $10,000 last year to insure 5 cars. Total combined klm/yr was under 20,000. My wife and I are the only drivers.

How's that for a rip off?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Lant/Silver Wheels forbids you to do pretty much anything other then Drive the car without stopping and you are finished if you turn into a mall or grocery store.

Super restrictive and not worth the pain in the A$$ to save a few bucks. I barely drive the Porsche as it is.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Beautiful Car Alex.....I'll always be ready to take her back into my family:-)
NO! Besides, you're used to something much faster now.

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
I paid a tad under $10,000 last year to insure 5 cars. Total combined klm/yr was under 20,000. My wife and I are the only drivers.

How's that for a rip off?
Oh my God! I guess that young kid with the 2005 997 I was looking at wasn't kidding when he said his annual insurance premium was about $8,000. BTW, I didn't like the car...it felt too civilized after I drove it. It lacked that raw feeling.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

insurance = irony?

we just re-upped our cars on Valentines day.

my P car cost............................. wait for it
$911

it must be a conspiracy

cheers

Craig
Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

I was wondering about this a few weeks ago, does "universal health care" mitigate some of the cost in car insurance? As I thought a good chunk of the "risk" was to cover medical expenses (as a result of an accident).
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
I was wondering about this a few weeks ago, does "universal health care" mitigate some of the cost in car insurance? As I thought a good chunk of the "risk" was to cover medical expenses (as a result of an accident).
Depends on the province.

In Ontario insurance has what they call "Accident Benefits" (AB), a mandatory part of your insurance policy costing roughly half the premium.

It covers things like loss of income, medical expenses, etc. (even though we have health care).

Here is the really good part and what I call fraud/theft on the part of the insurance companies.

You have to have AB for every vehicle that you insure; cars, motorcycles, etc.

If I had an accident on my motorcycle and couldn't work, I'd get loss of income coverage. But if I have another accident in my car and still cannot work, I don't get to collect twice my loss of income coverage, even though I paid premiums for it twice. Essentially, insurance companies are charging me for something I cannot collect. Fraud or what?

Now for the even better part. Many workers are also insured for loss of income through their workplace. Seniors get a monthly pension. Yet both of these groups pay a loss of income insurance premium and will never get to collect loss of income.

Makes sense, huhhh?

There is a reason insurance companies own nice office towers.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by IXLR8
The insurance agent looked at me kind of funny when I asked about multi-motorcycle insurance while I was visiting Austria. He said, "you can only drive one at a time".

Over there, one licence plate along with one insurance covers you for up to three motorcycles (can't comment if that also applies to cars). Your rate is based on the highest risk vehicle. Fire & theft is necessary for each vehicle which makes sense.
Maybe, oneday we'll get a logical policy like that....if only before the gasoline runs out!
Old 02-19-2010, 07:36 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul902
Maybe, oneday we'll get a logical policy like that....if only before the gasoline runs out!
I've already written the Minister of Financial Institutions, the department that regulates the insurance industry in Ontario.

He got back to me in a letter stating, and I quote, "customized coverages are on the way".

That was years ago. I later found out his family business is insurance. Talk about a conflict of interest.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM
matt777
Drifting

Just had an appraiser come and look at the car today as this is a requirement for insurance with a specified value. He spent more than an hour looking over the car, asking questions and taking pictures. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with but I think it will be at least $40k. It's not a market price but rather an insured value. I would be pretty choked if something happened to it. Like most of us here, I would be taking a loss if I had to find another car similar to what I have and start all over again. Having an appraisal puts me in a way better position if something was to happen. He said that he has had to appraise cars after an incident and it is not pleasant.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:42 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

A freind of mine had a policy with a very large and well known insurance company and crashed his 911 (1979 sc) . Immaculate immaculate OCD perfect. The insurance company offered a total on the car and low balled him on the price ...7000 dollars or so. and called it an older, poor condition driver.
Obviously he fought back over about 6 months and finally settled on about 17 or 18 k, still below value for its condition.
With Haggarty or others, you agree on value in advance and if you crash it, they automatically pay you the agreed on amount. With standard insurance, it is a crap shoot and they count on you rolling over and taking it "you know where".
Make sure you have a written appraisal in advance before crashing! (or better yet, dont ever crash!)
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ABCar
The insurance company offered a total on the car and low balled him on the price.
Thats so typical which is why I hate the insurance industry, slime that they are.

I maintain a slew of for sale ads for my motorcycles and now the P car.

My BMW motorcycle was written off last June in Europe (nothing I did; I was stopped). I was told I might get about €7000 for it. I downloaded a current sale of my exact year and model with more mileage that was listed for €9500. Thats what the other driver's insurance paid me.

Quick Reply: Insurance Costs