the hose from heat exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM
SKhiev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the hose from heat exchanger

Hey guys,

I am replacing valve cover gaskets on the top and bottom, changing out the engine oil, and replacing new plugs. I figured it would be best to tackle all of these maintanence all at once. I also want to replace any old oem parts that need to be replace. My car has about 235k, so it's been around...I bought it around 229K and I am the second owner. The first owner really got his money worth, it was his daily driver. Anyway, as I took off the hose from the heat exchanger. The hose seem to be very thin to the touch, is that how the oem hose are? Do I need to replace it? I'm not sure how thick it's supposed to be, just wandering. I figured if it need replacing then it's best to do now while i am doing all of these maintanence. Any info. would be appreciated...

Thanks...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by SKhiev
The hose seem to be very thin to the touch, is that how the oem hose are? Do I need to replace it?
Which ones; the orange ones that go to the flapper box or the black ones on top?

Both are made of silicone rubber and are very thin (about 1/8" ?). Mine are 15 years old and pliable as if they were new.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Which ones; the orange ones that go to the flapper box or the black ones on top?

Both are made of silicone rubber and are very thin (about 1/8" ?). Mine are 15 years old and pliable as if they were new.
Second that good advice ... if soft & pliable, good for years yet: if it feels like an eggshell that will crack if squeezed, time to replace: BTW, grease the screws on the SS hose clamps, and they will last as long.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are talking about the orange round heater hoses, you can replace them if they are cracked. Sunset Imports in Oregon was helpful and had a short piece of the hose I then ordered from them.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:03 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi There

I have just completed some of these jobs on my 185k mile car. I also took off my heat exchangers as the studs and nuts were very corroded. Not a nice task. The shaped orange hoses forwards of the exchangers needed changing due to rips and the black rear ones are on their way out. I have not replaced those yet as I am still putting things back together. I also took the opportunity to have the engine carrier strengthened and powder coated, and fitted RS engine mounts. Oh, and I am also changing the dampers to Bilstein HD and have rebushed the whole of the rear. Front next.....

Best of luck ... Berni
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
SKhiev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have been more specific about the hose. The hose that i was preferring to are the black rear ones. Everything went pretty smooth, just spending lots of time making sure I don't strip any bolts. I did managed to strip one valve cover bolt due to the rust. Got a vice grip and luckily it came out... Oil change went smooth also. This is the first time that I've done any maintenance on the car since I purchased it. The valve cover gaskets were hard not rubbery anymore and one of the them you can actually break it apart. The oil was dirty and pitch black. I've been meaning to do all of these maintanence but was hesitant to do so. Thanks to the DIY page on Pcarworkshop I was able to tackled all of these jobs. Lots of reading but at the end it paid off. And thanks to you guys for all other information.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
BTW, grease the screws on the SS hose clamps, and they will last as long.
Those stainless steel hose clamps can be a royal PITA when the screw binds. I found this especially true after the clamps have been cleaned. For some reason, if they are dry, they bind. You'd think they'd use materials more compatible with each other.

I use a product that does not attract dust/dirt to the clamp over time. It is a dry lubricant that goes by the name Boelube and comes in a short tube. It has the consistency of a bar of soap. You just rub a bit into the threaded grooves of the clamp...what a difference. Excellent product!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts

My car has about 235k
Congrats!! That's awesome.

stainless steel hose clamps can be a royal PITA when the screw binds.
A little PB Blaster and they're smooth as silk.

I did managed to strip one valve cover bolt due to the rust.
Be sure to use all new bolts and a little anti-seize when replacing. I picked 'em up at Sunset for 0.45/ea. Porsche had marked the price down because it's the same bolt being used in a current recall item.

Quick Reply: the hose from heat exchanger