63.77%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Now Here's a Debate: RSR or Fister D Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:38 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread - I'm wrestling with this now as I currently have RSR's. Keep'm coming.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are the weight of the RSRs and the Stage III?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You make some good points about the fit and sound being a personal preference pstroub. I just finished installed a set of Stage IIs today. As I said to Darin, good sound is very personal so its hard to know what somebody else wants. The Stage IIs fit properly although the new tips did need a minor adjustment (there is a little notch there so I think they might be designed this way). I started the car and immediately heard a little more bark as the engine came to life. At idle they are definitely a notch or two louder and a bit deeper. They are not super deep and they sounded good to me. I rev'd it a times and I didn't hear any raspiness. I can't wait until spring to give them a good go. Now onto the SSK and the new stone guards.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:33 PM
911Jeff
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Another RSR vote....

I haven't tried any others...you know "if it isn't broke, don't fix it."
I have the RSR's for ten years +....very pleased!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by pstraub
Asking which is 'better' is probably not fair to Darin or Robin, as it really comes down to personal preference and very few have run with both on their own car. Just my $.02
Originally Posted by matt777
As I said to Darin, good sound is very personal so its hard to know what somebody else wants.
Great observations. Just like "which wheel looks best," "which suspension is best," etc., it's all up to the person who owns the car. That's what I really love about these cars, so many different ways to make them your own.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 AM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
According to my bathroom scales:

Stock = 13 lbs each
RSR = 9 lbs each

I love the RSRs with motorsound airbox. Absolutely perfect for me, love the deep rumble.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:16 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garth S
Where are all the DIY guys these days? ...
I did my own DIY muffler mod and posted a thread about it a while back (LINK)
I liked the result, but wanted a bit more. When I tried version II, I ended up trying to do my own welding (mistake) and blew through the internal mods, so ended up completely gutting my cans. Although they took a few tanks of gas to get "seasoned", I like the sound of the gutted cans better, and am still running them 3 years later. I have gotten several positive comments from others too.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I do like the sound of my Mille Miglia exhaust--it has a deep growl. Its a got a "lets get ready to rumble" sound. However, they are not resonance free.

Love the growl, dont like the resonance. Would love a deep growl, no resonance.

Im leaning towards doing something......just what the something is I dont know yet.

I wonder what Midas would say if I showed up?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:38 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
You make some good points about the fit and sound being a personal preference pstroub. I just finished installed a set of Stage IIs today. As I said to Darin, good sound is very personal so its hard to know what somebody else wants. The Stage IIs fit properly although the new tips did need a minor adjustment (there is a little notch there so I think they might be designed this way). I started the car and immediately heard a little more bark as the engine came to life. At idle they are definitely a notch or two louder and a bit deeper. They are not super deep and they sounded good to me. I rev'd it a times and I didn't hear any raspiness. I can't wait until spring to give them a good go. Now onto the SSK and the new stone guards.
I listened to the sound clip and is sounds good. A little quieter than I expected, it will be good to get it out on the road and hear it WOT.......
Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by trophy
I listened to the sound clip and is sounds good. A little quieter than I expected, it will be good to get it out on the road and hear it WOT.......
I was looking for something more sporty but not to raucous. I think the Stage IIs will fit the bill nicely. Some of the muffler and 100 cell cat sound clips I have heard are way to loud. The Stage IIIs and Supercups were too much for me. I like my neighbors. The forecast is looking good and the SSK kit is installed so perhaps a road test is near.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by axl911
here ya go, a post from the past:
https://rennlist.com/forums/6032406-post31.html

excerpt from Darin:
Here is how they weigh on my scale:
Stock.........16 lbs
Stage I......16.2 lbs
Stage II.....14 lbs
Stage III....11.6 lbs
RSR...........11 lbs
LW Stg III ...10.2 lbs (heat shield mounts shaved off/ceramic coated)
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by Allen
I guess I'll chime in here since I just sold my RSR's and installed Fister Stage II's. The Stage IIs are a higher pitched sound...RSR is deeper, Stage II is a little louder...maybe 10-15%, Stage II is more racey/raspy type sound...RSR is a deeper grumble, Stage II seems quiter at highway speeds due to NO resonance at any speed from I can tell so far...RSR has a little resonance in 5th or 6th gear on the highway.

The "back-popping" when deccelerating. This is a main reason I wanted to swap to the Stage IIs. My stock exhaust sounded really good in this respect. That was the only thing I missed when I installed the RSRs in 2002. However, when I recently made a sound clip of my RSRs...I discovered that I WAS infact getting some back-pop..just not enough to hear inside the car. I've only driven the Stage IIs for a few miles, but I've not really heard a lot of back-pop at all...not nearly as much as I was hoping for. But what I did hear sounded really good from inside the car...so I hoping that as the mufflers "wear-in" that maybe I'll start to get more.

Anyway, that is my long story of the RSR and Stage IIs. I can't finish without saying major kudos to both Robin for his RSR mufflers and Darin for his Stage II mufflers...IMHO...the very best sound for the 993..hands down!

Oh...and I didn't cast a vote...cause ones not better...they are just different.
Thank you very much for the great description, Allen!

It's so hard to compare these over the internet, even with movie or sound clips. This goes a long way to explaining some differences.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Teng
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To Allen's point - Which exhaust produces more "back popping" on deceleration?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Teng
To Allen's point - Which exhaust produces more "back popping" on deceleration?
When I had the RSRs...I never heard any back-pop from within the car. Only when I put a sound recorder outside behind the car to get some sound samples...did I actually did hear some back-pop.

With the Stage IIs...I hear back-pop from within the car only when decelerating in 1st gear...like slowing down to come into the driveway. However...I have NOT done any sound clips from outside the car with the Stage IIs...so I can't speak to that.

So in summary...the only time I heard back-pop from inside the car was with the Stage IIs...never did with the RSRs. So to my ears...the Stage IIs produce more back-pop on deceleration.

Is that long-winded enough for ya...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM
shamrock
Racer

I got the RSR's (from Gert) a few years back.
I've not heard Darins modded boxes , but a pal of mine has DIY'd a bypass pipe. Sounds really nice , a little deeper than my RSR's. perhaps a little raspier though as he goes up the revs.
To the point of my post , my RSR's pop and bang quite audibly on the over run .. It's nearly a bit embarrassing , my wife tells me she can hear me coming home from work 5 mins before I arrive (and funnily enough , there's never a milkman in sight by the time I get home!!)
But it makes me wonder if all RSR's are born equal? It looks like some weigh less than others , so have more guts pulled from them , so they'll all sound a bit different?
One thing that bugs me slightly bout the RSR's .. I get a very mild drone at motorway speeds (3000rpm in 6th) .. Not enough to annoy , but I know it's there!

Sorry the post is a bit rambly!!

Quick Reply: Now Here's a Debate: RSR or Fister D Mufflers