Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Now Here's a Debate: RSR or Fister D Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,163 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperUser
I did a search before I go the x-pipe and 5hp and a little torque was what most people had gotten. I am more curious if adding the free flowing gutted cans will take away the little power boost the x-pipe gave me.
Don't quote me on this as it's been a few years but provided you have back pressure through a combo that includes either sport cats with free-flowing mufflers or regular mufflers with cat bypasses, there should be no power loss and you may have marginal power gains of ~5HP. It's when you run both a cat bypass AND straight pipes that you are susceptible to power loss. Again, this is just my recollection so do your homework to verify. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Where are all the DIY guys these days? The LPMM bypass was avant guard for a period .... I did that mod to my muffs ( with a slight twist), and the sound is intoxicating ... and always commented on with slack jawed, drooling on your driving shoes envy by the other Porsche pushers whenever we collect for a run.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garth S
Where are all the DIY guys these days? The LPMM bypass was avant guard for a period .... I did that mod to my muffs ( with a slight twist), and the sound is intoxicating ... and always commented on with slack jawed, drooling on your driving shoes envy by the other Porsche pushers whenever we collect for a run.
If I could weld stainless with my wire-feed I'd do it, but hard to justify. Don't fabricate much any more.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
Wow Garth, long time no see. Where have you been hiding? We need more tech talk back in this forum. Hope you stick around.

+1 on LPMMs. I did the mod with 1/2" pipes which had a great note and were great for street at between Motorsounds and RSRs in loudness. Loved them. The only reason to take RSRs, Fisters or any other gutted over LPMMs is weight loss.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
The only reason to take RSRs, Fisters or any other gutted over LPMMs is weight loss.

Not exactly. All of the above sound very different. Different sounds for different ears.

Also, I know you didn't mean that Fister's are "gutted" but just to be clear, they are not
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Stock? Which, sadly, is what's going back on the yellow car in order to make sound at Laguna in a couple of weeks............
My RSRs were OK at Laguna.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I "gutted" my own mufflers a few months back by removing all the fberglass and just about all of the tubing inside the cans.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ification.html

It took the better part of an afternoon and didn't cost a dime.
My wife says the Porsche sounds like a V8 now when idling, its nice and deep but I would like a little more sound at 5k+ rpms.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I have the RSR mufflers and the motor sound air box. They sound great under WOT but are otherwise a bit on the quiet side. Then again I come from a car that made my (and everybody within a 2 mile radius) ears bleed so maybe they are OK after all...
Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
Not exactly. All of the above sound very different. Different sounds for different ears.

Also, I know you didn't mean that Fister's are "gutted" but just to be clear, they are not
LPMMs have a wide range of sound as well depending on how you do the mod. My point being that one can find the note and the sound level with LPMMs but they don't offer weight savings like yours and the RSRs. Thanks for the clarification. RSRs are not gutted either. I guess I meant to say the internals are "modified".

Originally Posted by ilko
I have the RSR mufflers and the motor sound air box. They sound great under WOT but are otherwise a bit on the quiet side. Then again I come from a car that made my (and everybody within a 2 mile radius) ears bleed so maybe they are OK after all...
That's what makes that combo perfect for a street car IMO...composed at cruise speeds and assertive at WOT.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Andre'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know anything about the Fister, never heard them live, but I installed RSR's 5 years ago together with the motorsound airbox and don't know if I could handle "more" when revving in excess of 5,000 1/min!! I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact I'm driving a cab but the noise level when keeping the engine above 5,000 1/min for a few minutes make my ears ring baaaad...

One thing is for sure; hopp in your 993 after a bad day and the RSR's make you smile again!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
My RSRs were OK at Laguna.
What pace are you running? Sub 1:40, and passing the booth out of T5 at (from what I remember, it's been so long) nearly on a 3-4 upshift I got a warning. The turndowns Kim had made up helped, but it ruined the rest of the day. And I'm still not sure I'm actually bringing the car down. Might just be easier to drive down in the RS America.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:20 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I really like the Romulus mufflers I have on my car! :-)
Old 02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I'll chime in here since I just sold my RSR's and installed Fister Stage II's. The Stage IIs are a higher pitched sound...RSR is deeper, Stage II is a little louder...maybe 10-15%, Stage II is more racey/raspy type sound...RSR is a deeper grumble, Stage II seems quiter at highway speeds due to NO resonance at any speed from I can tell so far...RSR has a little resonance in 5th or 6th gear on the highway.

The "back-popping" when deccelerating. This is a main reason I wanted to swap to the Stage IIs. My stock exhaust sounded really good in this respect. That was the only thing I missed when I installed the RSRs in 2002. However, when I recently made a sound clip of my RSRs...I discovered that I WAS infact getting some back-pop..just not enough to hear inside the car. I've only driven the Stage IIs for a few miles, but I've not really heard a lot of back-pop at all...not nearly as much as I was hoping for. But what I did hear sounded really good from inside the car...so I hoping that as the mufflers "wear-in" that maybe I'll start to get more.

Anyway, that is my long story of the RSR and Stage IIs. I can't finish without saying major kudos to both Robin for his RSR mufflers and Darin for his Stage II mufflers...IMHO...the very best sound for the 993..hands down!

Oh...and I didn't cast a vote...cause ones not better...they are just different.

Last edited by Allen; 02-13-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:43 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what the difference in construction is between the RSR and the Stage IIs. I'm looking for a deeper sound, not raspy, no drone and not loud. Is that asking too much?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't comment on RSRs, having never heard them. Obviously, they have a good sound based on many happy customers. I have personally owned Fister Stage I, II and III. I can say that I was very impressed with the quality, fit and finish. I am hooked on the ceramic coating, loving my velvet black Stage IIIs. Each evolution was more intoxicating to my ears and senses. The way I use my car, I prefer more sound and the Stage IIIs are the best I have ever heard, both inside and outside the car, at all RPMs. Asking which is 'better' is probably not fair to Darin or Robin, as it really comes down to personal preference and very few have run with both on their own car. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: Now Here's a Debate: RSR or Fister D Mufflers