Sponsored by:

Dyeing GT3 cloth seats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dyeing GT3 cloth seats?

I have just purchased a couple of Recaro cloth seats and am wondering if anybody had ever tried changing color on the cushion covers? These are black, but my cab is Pastel Yellow, so I wanted to see if I could dye the black into yellow...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a question along the same line...have black cloth Sparco seats, and the black is just not black anymore....any dyes out there?

Guess Google might be my friend here..
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 67 Posts

Hello Mike.

I had success making the faded black seats blacker on the exSO's Miata using 'FABRIC COLOR' from Mar-Hyde.
Bought it at Pep Boy's south of the border. Not sure who may sell it north of the 49th.

max
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

MaestroMaestro - congrats to buying the seats. Did you get the DAS roll bar too?

Even if there is a way to dye to yellow, it will be very difficult to cover a dark color (black) with a yellow. If they are not clean, I would remove the fabric and wash it with Raggtopp before trying to re-dye. I had great success with Ragtopp on a very dirty boot cover that I got from ebay.

When re-dying than go with black. Another option is to find a place that might be able to recover them with new fabric (or leather?). I remember that there are fabric replacements available from Recaro or FVD
Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by e9stibi
MaestroMaestro - congrats to buying the seats. Did you get the DAS roll bar too?

Even if there is a way to dye to yellow, it will be very difficult to cover a dark color (black) with a yellow. If they are not clean, I would remove the fabric and wash it with Raggtopp before trying to re-dye. I had great success with Ragtopp on a very dirty boot cover that I got from ebay.

When re-dying than go with black. Another option is to find a place that might be able to recover them with new fabric (or leather?). I remember that there are fabric replacements available from Recaro or FVD
Hi, Eric. I did get the roll bar as well. And the harness. And some other stuff - while the "store was open"... I am going to get the roll bar powder coated with yellow (it IS coated, but with black, of course)...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds good! GL with the installation!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GT3 cushion covers just velcro close (at least the leather ones)...probably bets to just have an upholstery shop make some new covers using Alcantara.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:38 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Talking

Originally Posted by David in LA
The GT3 cushion covers just velcro close (at least the leather ones)...probably bets to just have an upholstery shop make some new covers using Alcantara.
You know, this is not a bad idea at all! I am going to check out the upholstery options. You are right, these have velcro-closure covers.

Quick Reply: Dyeing GT3 cloth seats?