Sponsored by:

55W HID's installed...Bright Lights, pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:02 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 55W HID's installed...Bright Lights, pictures

I ordered and received my 55w HID kit from DDM and reveived in 5 days as promised. High quality products, at least by feel, weight and materials. Time will tell if they live up to thier selling points.
I was going to get the 35w set but decided to go for the brighter yet still acceptable 55w units. Install was easy (2-3 out of 10). My only gripe was the ommision of a 24cent electrical clip that was supposed to come with the kit, but did not. Had to go to the local hardware store and fork over 50 cents!

Turned them on tonight and WOW! Very bright. I will have to drive them in the spring and see if I get flashed or get a ticket. If so, look for my ad in the for sale section of "RL". If they work out I will be very happy since I like bright light while driving.

Here are two pictures...sorry no before and after but there are many other threads with DIY and Before and After shots. I am just glad to have another winter project done for a "parts only" expense!
Attached Images   
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 564 Likes on 381 Posts

Looks nice. It's definitely an upgrade I need to do in the spring.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must have Mod IMHO. Are you going to change the driving light bulb as well ?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Yes, I think I am going to get Gert's higher wattage mod. The driving lights are severely bad and I think the lenses are becoming opaque as well. I have not dug into that yet.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Didn't see the Gert mod you mention on his website...what is it?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It is an outstanding upgrade to our stock system, did it on the Cab and have them ordered for the Coupe now.

Do yourself a big favor after you install these and spend a few min. and aim your headlamps. Well worth the time spent. Directions are in your manual. Only thing not clear in the manual is the adj. screws adj. an ANGLE of the lens, it isn't one screw adj. horizontal and the other does vertical like it implies in the manual. For me it worked best if I adjusted 1 position no more than 1/2 turn then adj. the other no more than 1/2 turn and go back and forth til you get them adjusted right. Well worth the effort IMHO.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah
Didn't see the Gert mod you mention on his website...what is it?
It's just one of the intake/driving light inserts with a higher wattage bulb. It comes stock from him when you buy the light fixture...no elec. mods necessary as far as I know....
Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
It is an outstanding upgrade to our stock system, did it on the Cab and have them ordered for the Coupe now.

Do yourself a big favor after you install these and spend a few min. and aim your headlamps. Well worth the time spent. Directions are in your manual. Only thing not clear in the manual is the adj. screws adj. an ANGLE of the lens, it isn't one screw adj. horizontal and the other does vertical like it implies in the manual. For me it worked best if I adjusted 1 position no more than 1/2 turn then adj. the other no more than 1/2 turn and go back and forth til you get them adjusted right. Well worth the effort IMHO.
Thanks for the tip...btw, nice color on that Porsche of yours!!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Another Rennlister did the fogs, and it looks great.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
striker27
Intermediate

Do you have any pictures of the install???? Did you place the ballast behind the head light??? Or were they small enough to install inside??? SLim ballasts??

They are a great improvement and look great!!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:15 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Hey Striker. I did not take pictures but DDM gives a great pdf of a 993 instal. I will post that later tonight. The ballasts I just kind of stuffed in the back of the light but when the weather is warmer I will double stick them in. Fitment was super easy because the ballasts are super thin,

cheers
Old 02-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by striker27
Do you have any pictures of the install???? Did you place the ballast behind the head light??? Or were they small enough to install inside??? SLim ballasts??

They are a great improvement and look great!!
The slim ballasts fit inside the lamp bucket itself. Biggest issue for me was finding a way to keep the extra cable inside the lamp w/out getting in the way. A quick search will reveal several threads with instructions with pictures.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Hey Striker. I did not take pictures but DDM gives a great pdf of a 993 instal. I will post that later tonight. The ballasts I just kind of stuffed in the back of the light but when the weather is warmer I will double stick them in. Fitment was super easy because the ballasts are super thin,

cheers

Looking good ..... what colour temp bulbs are those - 6000K?

I've not taken the plunge yet - vascillating between 35W & 55W ; however, as I use my fogs as DRL's, so they are on 100%, and they are fitted with PIAA H3's .... which give a blue cast as your HID's appear to have - thusly the degree Kelvin question.
BTW, swapping H3's in the fogs to get a match is far simpler that going with another HID kit.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

They are 4300 or 4500 and are not that blue...I think the 4300 is the most neutral color temp and similar to Litronics from Porsche. I will replace the H3' in fogs, thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't feel comfortable stuffing the ballast and cables into the headlight and I couldn't find anywhere to stick the ballast to so I mounted the drivers side per the pic. The brackets were easy to make but the wheel and liner has to come off. I hope it lasts here. The passenger side wasn't as nice an install as it is attached to the horns. HIDs are a great upgrade although the 20 min install turned into a much larger project. I also used the DDM relay kit.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 55W HID's installed...Bright Lights, pictures