Sponsored by:

Doofus of the Year award?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Doofus of the Year award?

Hi guys. Had (!) a set of clear shorty turn signals, ready to remove and ship to a fellow Rennlister. Removed the screw and started trying to pry forward. Got some movement, but as hard as I tried to wiggle forward, could not budge them free. Long story short, ended up cracking (both of) them.

This is my submission to the 2010 Doofus award. An early nominee, but a nominee nonetheles.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi guys. Had (!) a set of clear shorty turn signals, ready to remove and ship to a fellow Rennlister. Removed the screw and started trying to pry forward. Got some movement, but as hard as I tried to wiggle forward, could not budge them free. Long story short, ended up cracking (both of) them.

This is my submission to the 2010 Doofus award. An early nominee, but a nominee nonetheles.

If that's the worst you do all year, it will be a great year!

Disregard the photos .
Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
futurefun
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are no competition for our political leaders.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Don't feel too bad, I cracked one of mine doing the same a few years back.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 AM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doofus of the Year....I'm right behind you, in fact, maybe I take the cake with this one. Had the hood up in the garage looking at my mfg's label and comparing to the Essential 993, Straether book.....decided to take a drive. While driving, I notice my interior overhead light will not go off...for some reason it's staying on all the time...very odd. I get home, go immediately to this sight, even before the manual and search interior dome light.....within 5 seconds I find a post that explains, if you leave your hood or decklid ajar, interior lights will not go out.....sure enough, I had driven to lunch and back with the front hood unlatched. Lovely! Felt like a moron, but the moral of the story is ..this forum is the best resource going!

denny
Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Something similar happened to me (luckily your hood didn't pop open on you while driving). I had pumped gas and checked my oil guage and closed the engine lid down (but not completely). It popped open while I was driving on the street (low speeds) and had to pull over to close it correctly! Go figure...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Left the hood up for a day and a night, just slightly... battery dead, another lesson learned, yeah, all the interior lights and the light under the hood will stay on!

thanks for the courage to post these, guys!

Bert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:36 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

Matt, so sorry to hear this for obvious reasons.
(I was the buyer of the clear corners).

Last edited by skywachr; 02-08-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When working on the engine or in the front trunk, I always push (click) the latch down with a screw driver to simulate the hood or trunk being closed. This will save your battery. Just remember to pull the handle to release the latch before attempting to close the damn thing.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Here is my doofus moment so far for 2010. I was changing the springs on the race car and while loosening the top nut, I did not adequately support the bottom of the shock and when the nut finally came off, the shock shot down, loosened the banjo fitting to the remote canister when it hit the lower a-arm, and sprayed shock oil and nitrogen everywhere. My spring change went from an afternoon project to a who know how long project while the shock is out getting refilled/bled. Good times.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Well done Evan, well done! We have ourselves a multi-horse race, guys!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll play. A few years ago I changed the oil on my V-12 E-type, a task I've done repeatedly over the 20+ years I've owned it. It has a canister oil filter and I wasn't paying attention and put a spacer in backwards so the filter can didn't seat right. I filled her up with 12 quarts of fresh oil and started the engine. Pressure came up, blew the seal and dumped 12 quarts of oil on my garage floor. Let me tell you 12 quarts makes one BIG puddle.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll play, and raise 2Many Cars. ... Punchy after a long nite of work, I went into the garage the next morning, opened the door of my SC, reached in and started the car to warm it up, and quickly discovered it was in gear. Car started and jumped forward into cabinets where I kept oil and other stuff, then rebounded back and buried the open door in the sheet rock of the garage wall. Car couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. Two cases of oil trashed on the garage floor to clean up after I had to tear out (and later replace) two panels of sheet rock in order to close the door to move the car. A lot of oil in that puddle, too. Wife came out to check on the noise (guess I was maybe cussing a bit), saw the situation, got in her car and left for a couple of hours.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM
verhag
Pro

Originally Posted by Raptor
I'll play, and raise 2Many Cars. ... Punchy after a long nite of work, I went into the garage the next morning, opened the door of my SC, reached in and started the car to warm it up, and quickly discovered it was in gear. Car started and jumped forward into cabinets where I kept oil and other stuff, then rebounded back and buried the open door in the sheet rock of the garage wall. Car couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. Two cases of oil trashed on the garage floor to clean up after I had to tear out (and later replace) two panels of sheet rock in order to close the door to move the car. A lot of oil in that puddle, too. Wife came out to check on the noise (guess I was maybe cussing a bit), saw the situation, got in her car and left for a couple of hours.
You may have a winner here....
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM
smoothcab
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Raptor
Man we have a real Horse race now!! I would have went back to bed and tried to start all over again!! You were lucky your wife left mine would have stayed to push my buttons even more!!

Quick Reply: Doofus of the Year award?